TCU Invited to the Big XII

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by ArlingtonTexan, Oct 6, 2011.

1. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

2. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

3. Blake

Blake MMQB

So much for that "TCU cant be invited since they wont gain many tv shares"' idea.

4. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

At least they have been competitive on a national level for a good while now. That is more than can be said for any of the programs that are leaving the Big XII.

The concerning thing is they don't look that good right now. However neither do any of the teams leaving the Big XII.

I have been saying TCU and Houston all along. U of H simply because I grew up rooting for them and I feel if they were in a major conference they would get back to being a quality program again.

5. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

I wonder if this is in response to the 'Mizzou to SEC' speculation.

6. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

I'm happy for TCU and it's a great move for them. However, it will be interesting to see how well they fair when they have to play TX, TT, OU and OSU each year.

Also, Baylor should be worried as they just took another step down the state of TX recruiting ladder.

7. XI CMURDER IX

XI CMURDER IX Gig 'em

I love this move! It will help TCU vastly in being able to shorten travel times to away games. I don't know how much it will help recruiting, since no one can compete with Texas, but on a regular basis we compete with A&M, Baylor, and Tech in recruiting already. TCU has to develop the players we get out of high school, and help them grow into being college players.

Here is an interesting read on the topic of recruiting and how TCU has built the program they have from what they started with:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/33715491/TCU425NikeCOY?secret_password=3ist6iqz567aw0tmvhc

bah007 likes this.
  8. Hookem Horns

Congrats man if this comes to fruition. Personally I am all for it. I would love to see Houston next.

9. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

As a lifelong Cougar fan and season ticket holder I would love to see it happen. I just don't think the rest of your longhorn brothers especially the ones in power want UH anywhere near the Big XII.

10. Hookem Horns

Well the same was being said about TCU yesterday so there is always hope.

11. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Good move for TCU. They aren't doing too well and so they will need to catch on to a conference that's going to show them on TV more.

I would also recommend SMU do the same. That is an up and coming program that could benefit from this. Then the Big 12 needs to let UTSA and Texas St get their programs together and then invite them.

12. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

You cannot have a TX centric conference. That is why the SWC died.
    Add TCU and maybe UH then extend the footprint to get up to 12.

13. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

I agree with you that Texas centric isn't the way. If TCU is indeed in, then I want to see BYU and West Virginia in as well.

UH doesn't bring enough to the conference.

14. XI CMURDER IX

XI CMURDER IX Gig 'em

I'm personally hoping for Louisville to join the conference, they have a great program up there. It is just so little known, great facilities and stadium.

15. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I agree with you. I think that the best plan for UH is to stay the course and rip off about a 5-6 year run of just owning C-USA combined with a new stadium. Build their program, find a friggin' defense for crying out loud, and then start scheduling some real opponents instead of the Georgie State's of the world.

You want attention you win, then win some more, then win even more. Then win bigger for as long as it takes.

I think UH should have SEC in the back of their minds but they've got a lot of work to do before they could even hope to get some attention from them. They're headed in the right direction though. I don't really want to see them in the Big XII.

16. CretorFrigg

CretorFrigg Fire Rick Smith

I didn't expect this one coming...I thought the BIG XII wanted to expand out of Texas? :-\

Now I think the Big 12 should secure BYU and Boise State.

17. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I've heard that the Big East has already contacted SMU about taking TCU's place. Could be nothing more than rumor but take it for what it is.

18. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

.....I'll be taking my crow now.

Honestly, TCU doesn't add anything to the TV market. But it seems the Big XII is willing to look past that to add an up and coming program.

This is great for TCU. I love Gary Patterson. He is a hell of a coach and if this increases their recruiting at all then watch out.

19. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

This is great news for us TCU peeps.

Unfortunately this is a down year with Dalton leaving, and a few other quality starters. But next year Amon Carter statdium will be completed just in time for the jump. Hopefully by then we'll be back in full force, and this definitley will help our recruiting.

20. Ranger Tom

Ranger Tom Hall of Fame

I'll go ahead and eat my crow. Congratulations to TCU; welcome to the league.