TC:Mario Williams sack numbers under Wade Phillips;

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2011/01/mario_williams_sack_numbers_un.html

2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I still think that MW will get a lot of snaps at the OLB spot.

3. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I think that depends on what kind of player they can get opposite Barwin this off-season. I believe its close to 50% chance we use our 1 on an OLB and if it happens there won't be many snaps for Mario there. If we have to resort to Jessie Nading and Tim Jamison I could see them being very creative with SM but if that's the case I don't really love our options at end opposite Antonio.

4. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I think they will be doing a lot of rotations, and moving Mario all over the place.

Depending on the matchups of course

5. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

This part is spot on! To fix something, it has to be broken first. Our defense is broken. Actually, I don't think its ever been fixed. Part of the problem is they don't/won't get the "cheese burger" d-linemen that's you've alluded too.

D-line for the final four playoff teams:

Green Bay: BJ Raji 6-2, 337#
    Pittsburgh: Casey Hampton 6-1, 325# (no way he's 325)
    NY Jets: Sione Pouha 6-3, 325#
    Chicago: Anthony Adams 6-0, 310# (only 4-3 team)

The best DT in the business, Haloti Ngata, is 6-4, 350#. I don't know who's philosophy it is to use small DTs, but they are dead wrong.

6. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

I completely agree with you. But

Ndamukong Suh 6'4 307

7. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Warren Sapp 6'2 barely 3 bills. Small & quick is not such a bad thing...................unless you can't play.....Looking at you Amobi.

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

X-Factor..... This is the last year in Mario's contract. Throw all that other bullshite aside.

9. Rey

Rey Guest

I don't see Mario getting a lot of snaps at OLB...He is not that type of athlete...

10. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

I agree. The thought of a 6'6" 290-Lbs OLB trying to cover a TE or another receiver is scary. I wouldn't mind trading him away to a team that uses a 4-3 or is going towards a 4-3, it would be good for both of us as I hate to see Mario's talents go to waste playing DE in a 3-4 scheme.

11. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

If MW was to line up at OLB he's either rushing the QB or dropping into a zone. They arent going to expect him to cover anyone in particular.

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The Texans 3-4 scheme isn't written in stone for decades. If Kubiak and Phillips fall flat, another coach with a different scheme could arrive in 2012. A new scheme can be picked up anytime. Talents like Mario come after miserable 2-14 seasons. Penny wise and pound foolish to trade Mario because he might not match a scheme. Great defensive minds incorporate the talent they have into effective units. You don't think Bill Belichick, Rex Ryan, or Bill Cowher could find a way to utilize Mario?

I'm not suggesting Phillips can't. I'm suggesting that Phillips should.

13. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Suh's real good. You can be small at DT and be real good, but right next to Suh is Corey Williams, 6-4, 320#. I'm just saying, the beefy boy beside him might be helping him out a bit.

wagonhed likes this.
  14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I've been watching several Dallas games from 2010. They lined Spears up in the 5 tech many times. I'm not sure how many times, or how often, but the same can be said of Mario here. He wasn't always lined up outside. Sometimes..... many times, he played the 4.

Like he would in a 3-4.

Also, in passing situations, Ware would play the 5 tech with his hand down. Most of my recollection, Spears would move in to the 4, but there were times when he was also playing outside, on the other side.

Alot of what Dallas was doing, was playing a 3 man front lined up the exact same way Mario, Amobi, & Cody would line up. We would have Antonio, Barwin, or Anderson playing on the weakside, where they would have Ware.

Dallas would almost always have 3 Down linemen, unlike Greenbay or New York who would pull a lineman to add an extra DB. Dallas would take a LB off the field.

If Wade sticks to that formula (which I don't know that he would. I would think personnel would dictate)... the front seven wouldn't look much different than it does now & Mario wouldn't be asked to do anything he hasn't been doing in the past.

[​IMG]

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

From here, it would be pretty easy to go to the 46(31 if you still believe in Pollard)....

[​IMG]