Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Taylor Mays, 49ers, on the block

Texans had another USC Trojan Man, who played safety, couldn't make it & came here, Darnell Bing I think? Anyway he was being asked to convert to OLB (weakside in 4-3) & looked promising in camp then suffered a major injury. So this wouldn't even be like setting a prescient, it's already been attempted. Maybe the young man is just struggling, adjusting to reality after that whole unreal environment in College? Take Vince Young for example, been kinda lost for a while, now he's found a new home, with it the evolution of the game.

So don't write off Taylor Mays in this league of playmakers just yet. Maybe not the Texans but another 3-4 team who would like to add some outside speed to the pass rush.

Good post.

Someone with that size, strength and athletic ability can be used if they are open to coaching. Even if it's just a specialized role.

Texans had another USC Trojan Man, who played safety, couldn't make it & came here, Darnell Bing I think? Anyway he was being asked to convert to OLB (weakside in 4-3) & looked promising in camp then suffered a major injury. So this wouldn't even be like setting a prescient, it's already been attempted. Maybe the young man is just struggling, adjusting to reality after that whole unreal environment in College? Take Vince Young for example, been kinda lost for a while, now he's found a new home, with it the evolution of the game.

So don't write off Taylor Mays in this league of playmakers just yet. Maybe not the Texans but another 3-4 team who would like to add some outside speed to the pass rush.

I agree with you but there has to be something else going on behind the scenes. You just don't dump a former 2nd round pick the following year because he doesn't fit your scheme with at least a training camp to test him out in another role. Something smells fishy here

Let's see...

His college coach wouldn't touch him and now his current coach who coached against him in the same conference is about to cut him. I'll pass.

Never sign a player that isn't wanted by his former college coach.

Signed: Matt Leinart.

CoSigned: Amobe Okoye

:coffee:

That's a good point. Mays best fit might be as a Will LB in a Tampa 2 defense. He can chase RBs, play in a zone, and occasionaly man up on a RB. Something he can handle.

To me, u have to look past mays body and look at his skills. His body says in the box body rocker, but his skills say deep midle free. When you have a safety like manning who has cover skills, theother guy should be a rangy guy like mays. His range from sideline to sideline and his ability to close on guys make perfect next to manning. He can play 2 deep or single high. He doest get picks, but he will folrce the incompletion.

To me, u have to look past mays body and look at his skills. His body says in the box body rocker, but his skills say deep midle free. When you have a safety like manning who has cover skills, theother guy should be a rangy guy like mays. His range from sideline to sideline and his ability to close on guys make perfect next to manning. He can play 2 deep or single high. He doest get picks, but he will folrce the incompletion.

The bolded being the case, why are the 9rs so intent on shopping him?

The following is what Drew Boylhart wrote November 2009 regarding Taylor Mays. Said Mays' impact level in the pros would be that of a 4th rounder... not a 1st. The thing about Mays is that it doesn't seem like he's developed at all since then. Joseph coached him last year in SF so he knows first hand whether the guy has potential to learn or not.
Taylor Mays S USC

STRENGTHS
Taylor has excellent size and track speed to play his position. He has long legs that make it easy for him to cover a lot of ground and he can cover the whole field. Taylor plays a lot of single safety because of his ability to cover ground once he gets up to speed and looks to be an excellent track star playing football. Taylor Mays because of his size speed ratio has been compared to Troy Polamalu Safety Pittsburgh Steelers but personally for me he reminds me of Roy Williams Safety drafted # 8 in 2002 by the Dallas Cowboys.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE
Taylor is a track star trying to convince people that he is a impact football player. He does not wrap up when he tackles, he lacks instincts and football intelligence, he has straight line speed but very slow lateral agility and his make up speed lacks effort. He needs the play in front of him at all times and that is why he is playing deep in a single safety system. Taylor does not take good angles and does not cover well at all. If you put Taylor up near the line of scrimmage he will fall for play action every time. I do not see him with a lot of interceptions because he does not have good hands and is always out of position to intercept the ball. This kid plays nothing like Troy Polamalu did when he was in college. The comparison is strictly for marketing purposes by the USC public relations department to guarantee a 1st round draft pick in this years draft.

BOTTOM LINE
Pete Carroll has a big interest in making sure he has a first round pick in the draft every year. This is how he recruits. This is why he holds his own personal combine and does not let his players go to the real combine. I don't blame him I just think he is obvious. The fact is that by holding his own combine he can fool a lot of scouts and coaches with workouts designed to magnify his players strengths. Taylor is a workout warrior who once in a while makes a play on the football field. Those are the facts. With Taylor's size and speed tell me why would Pete not move him up to the LB position or even use him as a rover like he used Troy Polamalu when he played for USC. There is a reason. Pete is smart and he knows Taylor does not tackle very well and has no football instincts. Pete knows that if he keeps Taylor out of the action and lets him workout at his personal combine that Taylor (because of his size/ speed ratio) will automatically be considered a 1st round draft pick. An NFL coach is going to see Taylor workout and then go to some edited film and think that Taylor is the next great safety to hit the football world. I'm here to tell you it's not going to happen. If I'm wrong ...so be it. But I'm not. Last year I told you Clay Mathews and Brian Cushing were going to be good players for the teams that drafted them because... that is what I saw on the film. This year I'm telling you Taylor is average at best because that is what I see on film. I have no axe to grind I just call it like I see it.
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/archive/Player.Profiles/2010.Profiles/Taylor.Mays.htm

There's been several times I've disagreed with Boylhart's analyis of players but I think he's dead on more often than not.

The following is what Drew Boylhart wrote November 2009 regarding Taylor Mays. Said Mays' impact level in the pros would be that of a 4th rounder... not a 1st. The thing about Mays is that it doesn't seem like he's developed at all since then. Joseph coached him last year in SF so he knows first hand whether the guy has potential to learn or not.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/archive/Player.Profiles/2010.Profiles/Taylor.Mays.htm

There's been several times I've disagreed with Boylhart's analyis of players but I think he's dead on more often than not.

The article goes back to what I said about him. If you have a guy like manning who can cover y-flex te's and slot guys, it allows a guy like mays to play single high. As the article stated, he can cover a lot of ground quickly. His size and athleticism would allowfor him to be efective as a cover 2,3, or just plain single high safety type. Now if he has to come up to the line and check a te, he's going to struggle.

The following is what Drew Boylhart wrote November 2009 regarding Taylor Mays. Said Mays' impact level in the pros would be that of a 4th rounder... not a 1st. The thing about Mays is that it doesn't seem like he's developed at all since then. Joseph coached him last year in SF so he knows first hand whether the guy has potential to learn or not.http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/archive/Player.Profiles/2010.Profiles/Taylor.Mays.htm

its funny i did not even think of this relationship. Joseph knowing the player if we wanted him i think something would have leaked by now unledd the Texans are being smart and waiting for Mays release.

No joke. That's why I still hold hope for Jackson to succeed. Obviously he didn't come in and impact the way we wanted him to but if he can develop behind Joseph and Allen then we could have a pretty dangerous secondary. Let's hope he makes some stides this year. Joseph/Allen/Jackson/Harris + Manning/Quin -> WOW!

He nailed it on Amobi Okoye too.

Last edited:
CINCINNATI (AP)—Safety Taylor Mays(notes) is getting a chance to start over with a team that’s been interested in him since his college days.

The Cincinnati Bengals acquired the second-year player from the San Francisco 49ers on Tuesday in a trade for an undisclosed draft pick.

Mays spent the morning trying to learn the playbook, then practiced with the team in the afternoon. The pass defense has been a problem in preseason drubbings against the Lions and the Jets. The Bengals tried to upgrade the safety position through free agency, but Donte Whitner(notes) signed with the 49ers instead.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AixeiDaN5qOBxcCc1Ah7ZBlDubYF?slug=ap-49ers-bengalstrade

Back