Tavo Tupola: our other rookie Hawaiian Olineman

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by nunusguy, May 11, 2007.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

"UTAH: Could be the best offensive tackle in the Mountain West Conference ... has started at left tackle since his freshman year ... athletic, mobile player was a safety in high school who grew into offensive line stature while on an LDS church mission to Tucson, Ariz. (2000-02) ... quickness creates match-up problems for opposing defenses ... Athlon Sports picked him for its preseason all-MWC first team. "
    http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tupola_tavo00.html
    Texans page -
    http://www.houstontexans.com/team/player.asp?player_id=302
    Like Brandon Frye, Tupola has the look and feel of an OLineman that would project as a ZB candidate in the Texans system. Adjectives like athletic, mobile, quickness, etc. are found all over descriptions about this URFA.
    Even though he may play on the inside at guard for the Texans, he was a LT his whole collegete carrer, another indication of his athletic profile. Dang, this guy was even a DB in high school before he got big.

2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

He will be an old 26 year old player when season starts. That may benefit in maturity but is usually not a good thing.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Every team needs a thick, neckless pacific islander guy who likes to run around in flip flops on one of the lines...it's just one of those things.

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

especially if he can sing "tiny bubbles in the wine" while he hulas and then clotheslines the opposition.:whip:

5. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

QFT!

6. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Don't let Sharpton catch you making those kinds of remarks, he'll get your butt fired !

7. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

We all need someone to protect us from the Casserly Curse and/or the David Carr idol that eats up NFL cap space. Who would be better than our mystical, athletic friends in the South Pacific?

[​IMG]

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Dued, I love that picture. I was skimming channels last night and on one of the wrestling programs there a black guy dressed up like Randy Savage; sunglasses, hat and warm up jacket. He kept doing the "Oh yeahhh" and same well known gestures of the Macho Man. He went by the "Black Machismo". Last Iheard from Savage was when his ex wife died an over dose at another wrestler's house.

9. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

At the least, I think this guy is an interesting camper to watch.
    There are pluses and minuses. Let see if he can handle life the fast lane.

10. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Could be a long term project. It's not likely he ever becomes a major contributor, but you never know. I mean the guy has no neck and is from the South Pacific so he does have that going for him. Never seen him play, but I think he is a longshot to make it any time soon.

11. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Tupola was actually an all-state safety in high school.

Reminds me of the line by Bender in The Breakfast Club:

12. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I like that a lot. Correct me if I am wrong but ZBS is more about pinging people in space than trench warfare and would seem to be a perfect fit for one of his weaknesses. Moreover, we can always use a guy who can pass block.

With that all being said hopefully he makes the roster by earning it, because he is certainly intriguing given his history as a football player and his athleticism.