Tank Johnson was sober after all......

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Koolaid Time, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Koolaid Time

Koolaid Time Drink Up!

GILBERT, Ariz. (AP) -- Tank Johnson's blood alcohol level was below the legal limit when the former Chicago Bears tackle was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving June 22.

Johnson's blood alcohol level was .072, under the presumptive limit in Arizona of .08 percent, police Sgt. Andrew Duncan said Monday. No charges have been filed pending results of a completed investigation.

Johnson, whose legal name is Terry Darnell Johnson, was arrested when officers pulled him over at 3:30 a.m. for driving 40 mph in a 25 mph zone. Duncan said an officer placed him under arrest because he believed Johnson was under the influence of alcohol. He was released without being booked or charged after providing a blood sample, and police said he was very cooperative.

The 25-year-old player was released by the Bears three days after his arrest. The team said it was "upset and embarrassed" by the defensive tackle's legal troubles.

The Bears declined comment Monday.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-tankjohnson-trafficstop&prov=ap&type=lgns

Well, a lawsuit is coming down the piike.... Maybe we should sign him once the suspension is up...

2. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Well, let's not make him out to be a saint or anything. He did drink, and then he drove. Furthermore, nothing good ever happens at 2AM. He put himself in a bad position, even if he does manage to get out of it.

The Bears, on the other hand, jumped the gun on this one, and they probably should get sued for it.

3. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I wish I could say the same thing about the Bears jumping the gun, but I supported this guy when he got out of jail, thinking he sounded remorsefull and serious about staying out of trouble. I bought his act too. Even though he was found to be under the limit or whatever, he still is putting himself in bad situations. As Eriadoc says, nothing good happens at 2:00am.

4. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

He can't sue the nfl for releasing him because it does not prevent him from getting another job with another team,plus I think they are still on the hook for this years salary.

His dumbass should not have been out drinking after 2 am, much less midnight. The Bears told him upfront, they would have a zero tolerance policy. That is exactly what they did. He brought it upon himself to be an ignorant dumbass and be out at that time and have .072 blood alcohol level.

5. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

I just don't understand why this guys just don't take a cab. What will it cost them for a night? $100 bucks...... I think they can afford that.

6. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

You got it pal. Dang I like this new commish - anybody that has something that approachs a zero tolerance attitude for D & D gets my vote.
    Too bad the larger soceity does not have a policy (laws I guess), of taking anybody and everybody from behind the wheel of a car if they have "ANY" booze in their system.

7. hadaad

hadaad All Pro

From what I understand, a player can be released from a team at any time. I applaud the Bears for going this route. I just think it's too bad that it took them so long.

How long until Pac Man gets HIS walking papers?

And he blew .072 so saying he was sober is misleading. People can be fairly sober, even when they blow over and people can be fall-down drunk and not blow over. Body weight has a large part to play in it too.

8. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

1. Nothing good happens after 2 AM (best espisode of "How I Met Your Mother", ever!).

2. Nothing good happens at strip clubs. (more Pacman than Tank!)

3. You're frickin' rich. Take a cab, limo, etc. Period.

9. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

I meant that they should take a cab from their home. Don't even drive your car at all that night. But I know why they don't do that, cause they wanna ride in Style, in their nice lexus, mercedes, etc. And if they pick up a girl, a cab would be awkard for them.

10. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

Rent a limo, they could still afford it, plus have more fun on the way home.

11. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Au contraire!!

12. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

I heard on the radio, that the difference between Pac Man and Tank is their importance to their team. The radio guy was questioning if it was Tommie Harris, not Tank Johnson that was in trouble. The Bears wouldn't have let him go and that is why the titans still allow Pac Man to hang around.

13. Specnatz

Maybe it is the class of the owner. (or in the titans case lack there of)

14. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

God is good. I remember a time that I didn't leave the late show at the club until 4:00 a.m, after having a few drinks. I don't do the d&d anymore, but I don't have a self imposed curfew either. If someone is bent on doing the right or wrong thing, time of day won't matter. There are times I am out just having a good time, perhaps a friends gathering, and I am on the streets late, and although I don't drive reckless, I probably don't observe school zone hours either.

If the Bears were embarrassed to keep Johnson on the team, then cutting him is their call to make. If Johnson was legally intoxicated, then he should have been treated in the same manner as anyone else in that situation. However, if not, then I don't agree with imposing "close enough" consequences. If he was speeding, and apparently he was, then a ticket was in order. IMO, this is the way it should be, but unfortunately in the case of high profile individuals, appearance is more important than reality.

15. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

Good point as well.

16. Immobilarity

Immobilarity Made You Look

I'm the only one here thinking, "Not legally drunk? Yeah, he's a tank alright."

Seriously though, some mentalities you will never understand.

17. Koolaid Time

Koolaid Time Drink Up!

Hey, sometimes this place is hopping at 2 AM....

18. Koolaid Time

Koolaid Time Drink Up!

That's why the Bears should be sued... they tried to renig on the balance owed...

19. Specnatz

Nope, because they were not stupid he was. He promised to not get into trouble. He got stopped at 3:30 am for speeding and he broke his promise.

20. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

hahaha.. got released for speeding..

i like tank... and i hope he gets signed by someone...