Tampa takes a cheap shot at end of game

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by gtexan02, Sep 16, 2012.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umqZy_qTzr8

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...uccaneers-greg-schiano-cheap-shot-eli-manning

2. gg no re

gg no re iggnorent

Schiano probably meant cheap, hard football.

3. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

I think that voiceover on the slo-mo was eerie :D

Seriously, I think they are asking for it if they keep it up. I don't believe that is entirely fair, but it is what it is. I didn't see them break any rules.

However, just ask Jerry Glanville's teams what it's like to have teams circle your December game against them in July.

They didn't do anything wrong, but would be wise to knock it off.

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Technically, in the kneel down rule, you cannot have your offensive players past the line of scrimmage. If they do pass the line the defense legaly can go for the hit without being penalized for unnecessary roughness or unsportsmanlike conduct. Watch the Giants' center during the play.

5. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Poor sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2kCaqbVtpU
    Finally found a video of it. That's crap. I can't stand NY, Manning or Coughlin and that's a barrell load of crap. They are going to regret it next time they play NYG.

Again I say, Poor sport.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  6. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Good. I think the kneel down is a wuss move. Play the game until the clock has expired!

7. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

What if that play would have caused another "Miracle at the Meadowlands"? I don't have an issue with it since the Bucs were only 1 score down. If they were down by a ton of points then it would be another story.

ChampionTexan likes this.
  8. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I thought it was Busch league at first glance and still kinda do. However, the Oline should detect when the D is coming full speed by their stance and "white-knuckling".

So, I'd put some on the Giants oline and the rest on Schiano and his feeble attempt to prove a point to his team.

9. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I really think its poor sportsmanship. The offense could try and sling it to put up more points, but they don't. Taking a knee at the end of the game is safer, but its also being a good winner.

I think you'll see teams retaliate against the Bucs. Not a good rep to get as a first time HC. Its gimmicky at best.

10. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

The NFL has so many rules we can't keep up with them all and I have no desire to look up what rules apply to a "kneel down!" The games not over til the last second ticks off the clock! Do what ya gotta do! JMO!

11. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

There's no rule against what the Buccs did. They're just playing for the whole game while they've got something on the line. It's not like they didn't have a chance to win if they didn't get the ball back.

The Victory formation, with all those players around the QB and a safety in the back, is meant to handle exactly that sort of situation.

But there is an unwritten rule about that. The offensive line isn't supposed to be blocking real hard and the defensive line isn't supposed to be really trying to get to the QB in that case.

But now that Schiano has made this choice and shown on film that he's going to play this way, teams are going to be coming after the Buccs.

12. Scooter

Scooter Funky

with as bad as the buccs are, i hope the next team decides to just run the score up. if they want to do something weak like jump on the kneel down, dont do it, keep throwing the ball until they beg for mercy.

13. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Exactly! If they were behind by nine points or more than it would have been classless, but that wasn't the case.

14. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

I'm with you and Hook em on this one. If TB recovers a fumble and returns it, then everybody would be talking about what a great play it was.

15. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

Plus, and this was something I thought about yesterday, with replacement refs you could try and cause a fumble directly from the snap (the centers arm) and see if you got away with it after the fact.

The replacement refs are doing a decent enough job, but they call an altogether different game that do the regular refs. In that situation you just might get away with something.

16. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I have to admit, I was completely expecting phantom flags to be called all year. For the last two weeks, I thought the refs were doing a fine job in letting the players play instead of tossing tick tacky calls... until last night's penalty-fest at San Francisio.

:vincepalm:

17. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

Yeah. I got the feeling last night they had been briefed on the day's games in terms of refereeing. Like they were told to watch for pass interference since it wasn't being called by replacements. A lot of "holding" calls CB's and WR's last night.

18. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

They should be anyway. I recorded the game and watched it when I got home from the Jax. It was pretty entertaining and while I am a fan of both teams I was hoping the Bucs would pull it out.

I think with this whole thing Schiano is also sending a message. Last year the Bucs completely quit. Now the message is there is no quit and they must play hard for 60 minutes each game.

Regardless they look a lot better than they did last season.

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Is it true there was only 5-6 seconds left? Ha, wow

20. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

I think it was a bull**** poor sportsmanship bush league move. No, there's nothing illegal about it, but the Giants could have tried to returned that pick, thrown some blocks, etc. instead of just downing it. But they did down it, essentially ending the game.

I'm all for playing 'til the clock says 0:00. That's why I don't have a problem with teams who continue to score points in a blowout. Teams should still run their normal offense and not try to shut it down. Could lead to bad habits, IMO. If you don't want them scoring on you like that then stop them. But I do not agree with that last play. You threw the pick to end your chances and the Giants player fell to the ground instead of trying to take it to the house on your ass.

You lost the game, take it like a man instead of trying to get somebody hurt on some bull**** bum rush in kneel down formation.

Dread-Head likes this.