Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Tampa takes a cheap shot at end of game

gtexan02

Working?
What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umqZy_qTzr8

"I don't think you do that," Coughlin said after the game. "You don't do that. You don't jeopardize the offensive line, you (don't) jeopardize the quarterback. Thank goodness we didn't get anybody hurt, that I know of, a couple of linemen were late coming in (after end of game)."

"When I get a helmet off my knee at the end of the game I'm not going to be happy," Snee said. "It's a shame that this is what we have to talk about, two teams who fought their tails off. It was a great game. Maybe that was acceptable in college, it's not acceptable."

Schiano did not back away from using the play after the game.

"We're not going to quit, that's just the way I coach and teach our players," Schiano said. "Some people were upset about it -- that's the way it goes. I don't have any hesitation. That's the way we play -- clean, hard football until they tell us the game's over."
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...uccaneers-greg-schiano-cheap-shot-eli-manning

I think that voiceover on the slo-mo was eerie :D

Seriously, I think they are asking for it if they keep it up. I don't believe that is entirely fair, but it is what it is. I didn't see them break any rules.

However, just ask Jerry Glanville's teams what it's like to have teams circle your December game against them in July.

They didn't do anything wrong, but would be wise to knock it off.

Technically, in the kneel down rule, you cannot have your offensive players past the line of scrimmage. If they do pass the line the defense legaly can go for the hit without being penalized for unnecessary roughness or unsportsmanlike conduct. Watch the Giants' center during the play.

What if that play would have caused another "Miracle at the Meadowlands"? I don't have an issue with it since the Bucs were only 1 score down. If they were down by a ton of points then it would be another story.

I thought it was Busch league at first glance and still kinda do. However, the Oline should detect when the D is coming full speed by their stance and "white-knuckling".

So, I'd put some on the Giants oline and the rest on Schiano and his feeble attempt to prove a point to his team.

I really think its poor sportsmanship. The offense could try and sling it to put up more points, but they don't. Taking a knee at the end of the game is safer, but its also being a good winner.

I think you'll see teams retaliate against the Bucs. Not a good rep to get as a first time HC. Its gimmicky at best.

The NFL has so many rules we can't keep up with them all and I have no desire to look up what rules apply to a "kneel down!" The games not over til the last second ticks off the clock! Do what ya gotta do! JMO!

There's no rule against what the Buccs did. They're just playing for the whole game while they've got something on the line. It's not like they didn't have a chance to win if they didn't get the ball back.

The Victory formation, with all those players around the QB and a safety in the back, is meant to handle exactly that sort of situation.

But there is an unwritten rule about that. The offensive line isn't supposed to be blocking real hard and the defensive line isn't supposed to be really trying to get to the QB in that case.

But now that Schiano has made this choice and shown on film that he's going to play this way, teams are going to be coming after the Buccs.

with as bad as the buccs are, i hope the next team decides to just run the score up. if they want to do something weak like jump on the kneel down, dont do it, keep throwing the ball until they beg for mercy.

What if that play would have caused another "Miracle at the Meadowlands"? I don't have an issue with it since the Bucs were only 1 score down. If they were down by a ton of points then it would be another story.

Exactly! If they were behind by nine points or more than it would have been classless, but that wasn't the case.

Plus, and this was something I thought about yesterday, with replacement refs you could try and cause a fumble directly from the snap (the centers arm) and see if you got away with it after the fact.

The replacement refs are doing a decent enough job, but they call an altogether different game that do the regular refs. In that situation you just might get away with something.

Plus, and this was something I thought about yesterday, with replacement refs you could try and cause a fumble directly from the snap (the centers arm) and see if you got away with it after the fact.

The replacement refs are doing a decent enough job, but they call an altogether different game that do the regular refs. In that situation you just might get away with something.

I have to admit, I was completely expecting phantom flags to be called all year. For the last two weeks, I thought the refs were doing a fine job in letting the players play instead of tossing tick tacky calls... until last night's penalty-fest at San Francisio.

:vincepalm:

I have to admit, I was completely expecting phantom flags to be called all year. For the last two weeks, I thought the refs were doing a fine job in letting the players play instead of tossing tick tacky calls... until last night's penalty-fest at San Francisio.

:vincepalm:

Yeah. I got the feeling last night they had been briefed on the day's games in terms of refereeing. Like they were told to watch for pass interference since it wasn't being called by replacements. A lot of "holding" calls CB's and WR's last night.

But now that Schiano has made this choice and shown on film that he's going to play this way, teams are going to be coming after the Buccs.

They should be anyway. I recorded the game and watched it when I got home from the Jax. It was pretty entertaining and while I am a fan of both teams I was hoping the Bucs would pull it out.

I think with this whole thing Schiano is also sending a message. Last year the Bucs completely quit. Now the message is there is no quit and they must play hard for 60 minutes each game.

Regardless they look a lot better than they did last season.

I think it was a bull**** poor sportsmanship bush league move. No, there's nothing illegal about it, but the Giants could have tried to returned that pick, thrown some blocks, etc. instead of just downing it. But they did down it, essentially ending the game.

I'm all for playing 'til the clock says 0:00. That's why I don't have a problem with teams who continue to score points in a blowout. Teams should still run their normal offense and not try to shut it down. Could lead to bad habits, IMO. If you don't want them scoring on you like that then stop them. But I do not agree with that last play. You threw the pick to end your chances and the Giants player fell to the ground instead of trying to take it to the house on your ass.

You lost the game, take it like a man instead of trying to get somebody hurt on some bull**** bum rush in kneel down formation.

And if Tampa was really trying to get the ball back, why didn't they use their last timeout after that play and make the Giants run another play?

Bush league move, that's why.

At the time, I thought the Giants were idiots. They shouldn't have scored that last touchdown. They should have just ran the clock down to 2-3 seconds and kicked the short field goal. They left too much time on the clock for the Buccs and almost let them back in the game prior to that interception.

I came across interesting read on twitter. Schiano seems like a real asswipe. More in the link

Said the AFC executive: "There's a box, a little bitty box, way away from the field. All the scouts had to stand in that box like a bunch of little kids. You couldn't step out; you literally had to stand in it. My feeling is that given who was chosen to coach the Bucs, all Tampa scouts should have to stand in a box at every college in America."

According to Feinstein, Schiano, during his first visit to Navy with the Scarlet Knights, ignored a pregame itinerary that called for both teams to clear the field a few minutes early so that the Brigade of Midshipmen could perform their customary march. Schiano, Feinstein wrote, defiantly kept his team on the field as the Midshipmen appeared, and later falsely claimed not to have been aware of the tradition.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--b...QDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

That coach just declared it open season on his offense. If I'm part of a defensive unit and a head coach sends guys to tag our QB while he's taking a knee, he's telling me to do my best to hospitalize ever member of his offense when given the opportunity.

That coach just declared it open season on his offense. If I'm part of a defensive unit and a head coach sends guys to tag our QB while he's taking a knee, he's telling me to do my best to hospitalize ever member of his offense when given the opportunity.

Don't take it out on the players. Its not their fault. I'd tell my return man to head straight out of bounds and slide cleat first into Schiano's knees. On accident, of course

I'm with you and Hook em on this one. If TB recovers a fumble and returns it, then everybody would be talking about what a great play it was.

exactly! Just because the offense doesn't want to take a risk and run an actual play doesn't mean the defense should give up. If there is a chance no matter how small, you take it? Most likely going to fail but thats why they call the successful ones miracles. They do happen. I say cudos to TB for going for it. The kneel down play is a live play. It should be played hard.

I can't believe anyone thinks its ok for the team with the ball to decide the game is over before it really is. Especially when the other team is within winning with a score.

exactly! Just because the offense doesn't want to take a risk and run an actual play doesn't mean the defense should give up. If there is a chance no matter how small, you take it? Most likely going to fail but thats why they call the successful ones miracles. They do happen. I say cudos to TB for going for it. The kneel down play is a live play. It should be played hard.

I can't believe anyone thinks its ok for the team with the ball to decide the game is over before it really is. Especially when the other team is within winning with a score.

Then why didn't they use their last timeout and make the Giants run it again?

They should be anyway. I recorded the game and watched it when I got home from the Jax. It was pretty entertaining and while I am a fan of both teams I was hoping the Bucs would pull it out.

I think with this whole thing Schiano is also sending a message. Last year the Bucs completely quit. Now the message is there is no quit and they must play hard for 60 minutes each game.

Regardless they look a lot better than they did last season.

Yeah, it's probably an attempt to change the team mindset from last year's "just show up, go thru the motions, and pick up a game check".

I have 0 problem with this.

If you're just going to snap the ball as a formality then just make it a rule to end the game.

I've had something like this happen to me before. Thing is I could look at the d lineman and tell he was going to come hard because if how he got in his stance. This was before halftime though. But I went ahead and fired out and put him on his ass.

Only thing is that the Bucs play in the NFL so now everyone knows what they are about. Now teams just need to adjust and deal with it.

I'm suprised the NFL Players Union and the players are allowing type of play to happen. The union is there to protect the player and given what I saw, someone's going to get hurt and hurt badly too. When that occurs, the union and the players will have noone to blame but themselves.

lol! That thought crossed my mind, as well. Harkens back to the days when rules were there to be exploited for loopholes.

Somebody needs to bust out a rabbit punch like Igor did years ago when the Broncos went after his bad knee on a QB spike (maybe kneeldown, I don't remember which)

Stuff like this is why i don't like most college coaches transforming into HCs in the NFL. They try to inspire too much "ra-ra" nonsense like this. I was even glad the Cowboys beat that douche yesterday.

I'm waiting for the day that a team fakes a kneel down against this team and runs a play and gets an easy TD and runs up the score in a blowout. Would probably be the last time he tries it.

I'm waiting for the day that a team fakes a kneel down against this team and runs a play and gets an easy TD and runs up the score in a blowout. Would probably be the last time he tries it.

Yep lol.

Looking forward to when this happens.

The Knights of Knee...nice

In a thoroughly unwatchable, but supremely winnable 16-10 loss to the Cowboys, this O had no clue, from the coaches down.

True, these Bucs have the old Rutgers kneel-down deal down pat. Three times, twice after Greg Schiano timeouts, the Knights of Knee tried to bore into Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo.

They should have been going for Schiano's knees or those of offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan. We had no idea what these two were attempting to do with this offense the entire afternoon. It was totally incoherent.
http://www2.tbo.com/news/opinion/2012/sep/23/6/bucs-game-plan-was-simply-offensive-ar-510907/

From 6 days ago:

Jerry Jones: NFL should outlaw kneel-downs

As far as Jerry Jones is concerned, the controversy regarding the end of Sunday’s Giants-Buccaneers game never should have unfolded.

That’s because Jones thinks the NFL should outlaw the kneel-down to kill the clock at the end of games.

“I’ve always thought that that’s a wasted play for our fans, the kneel-down,” Jones said Tuesday on KRLD-FM. “[Former Kansas City Chiefs owner] Lamar Hunt tried several times to introduce a rule and have it voted on that you couldn’t kneel down. You had to run a play. Unless you were trying to advance the ball, then you got a penalty and time didn’t run off the clock. It’s not a good play.”

Cowboys handled Bucs' victory formation push

The Cowboys kneeled down three times in the final moments of Sunday’s 16-10 win against Tampa Bay and were prepared for the Bucs' shenanigans.

And then teams will just run a basic handoff, where the RB accidentally trips and falls down before the defense ever gets to him. Accidentally. Over and over again. At least the kneel down is a way to get the game over with while limiting the opportunity for injuries.

As far as Jones' comment about it being a wasted play for the fans, he's a nidiot. The victory formation and kneel down is my favorite play, bar none.

And then teams will just run a basic handoff, where the RB accidentally trips and falls down before the defense ever gets to him. Accidentally. Over and over again. At least the kneel down is a way to get the game over with while limiting the opportunity for injuries.

As far as Jones' comment about it being a wasted play for the fans, he's a nidiot. The victory formation and kneel down is my favorite play, bar none.

I should have probably added some of my own opinion on that post. I just loved the irony of Jones piping up about it shouldn't happen, then his team knelt down 3 times in a row.

I will say that if you watch the video replay, somebody is going to get hurt if this continues.

http://nfl.cpl.delvenetworks.com/player/usatoday/carousel/embed_code.html?channelId=de89a8aeb3e422bac4eb48567f10ebd0&channelListId&mediaId=4ffdbaec9d6948ae9470da3df04f0384

I finally saw it on GHF post but yeah, some one is going to get hurt on the kneel play

on a side note, I think it would have loved to see the expression on Schiano's face if the cowboys would have ran a wide pitch out or something and the back scampered for a TD

(I know that is not a smart play due to a fumble or something but I would like to see the bucs get scored on for their BS)

Back