Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Frank Okam 370 Pounds.............

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by CloakNNNdagger, Aug 30, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

...... and pounding everything in sight!

Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Frank Okam pushing for extensive playing time

As it might turn out, the Texans "failed experiment" could have SOLELY been on the shoulders of the defensive coaching staff................they probably had him on celery sticks and broccoli sprouts to keep his weight down. :kubepalm::wadepalm:

2. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

Another square peg in a round hole type of issue. I don't care how much weight he puts on, as long as he produces. If he turns out to be successful there, then we only have the coaching staff to blame. We have needed a big body in the middle for years, but have never gotten it for whatever reason. Oh well, good luck to Frank and his new team, except when he plays us.

3. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

Course it was on the coaching staff, they didn't know how to utilize players. Use their strengths and what not. I bet Okoye plays much better in Chicago too. At least now we have a real defensive staff.

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I just don't see this player holding up at that weight for long. He had his chance and then some to succeed in Houston. This one is not on the coaches.

5. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Okam was blowing up some plays.

I bet he'd get into Wade's rotation if here.

6. PockyAF

PockyAF Site Contributor

[​IMG]

7. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

he's just soft...for as big as he was here, he would still get pushed around like if he was half that weight.

8. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

9. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

New team, new attitude.

Thanx for waiting until you got on a new team, Frank...

10. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

totally agree, our former staff seemed to destroy young talent

11. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

And that seems to always be the case with guys we let go ie..Jason Babin, and that corner at Green Bay.

12. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

It seems to me (and correct me if I'm wrong here) that our previous staffs (is that the right word?) have had a rigid idea in mind of what they wanted their defense to do. They would draft guys they thought would fit (a la a quick, undersized DE in Okoye) and force him to do certain things regardless of whether he was good at them or better at doing something else. Coaching can develop great talent, but not if you're forcing to do something that is unnatural to them or that they will just flat-out never be good at (such as if Kubiak tried to tell Matt to throw 40+ yard passes on every drive, that would be painful).

I think the difference is that Wade knows what he wants to do with his defense, but in the meantime will put all the players he has in a position to succeed and slowly work towards his goal. This is readily apparent by their statements of starting out slow and easy, and only introducing new plays/concepts after they've mastered what they currently are working on.

13. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

I'm thinking this says more about the interior of the Dolphins Oline than it says about Okam.

14. Dutchrudder

I agree, it seems like our previous DC's were trying to make the players fit their scheme, rather than the scheme fit the players. Wade appears to be doing some of that too (Mario to OLB), but he is playing some guys to their strengths, like moving Cushing to ILB, Barwin to OLB, leaving Smith at DE. I do wonder what Wade would be doing with Okam if he were still here. Okam would be interesting as a NT in this 1-gap system. I would think he could beat out Cody for the backup spot.

15. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I really do think that if Brooks were NFL-ready right now (meaning able to play the run as well as Mario) that we would have strongly considered Mario at DE. I would be in favor of that along with kicking Antonio inside to fit that one-gapping DT Wade has been preaching. As much as Smith would be against it at first, I think he'd realize (as with SF) how much easier pass rushing the interior line would be than the exterior with his abilities. Mario is Mario and he should be able to play both the run and pass regardless of his position.

That being said, I think there's a "bigger picture" that Wade has in mind that we're just not seeing yet. I think he's thinking long-term Mario at OLB is better/more valuable (at least for this season) than at DE. Maybe it's solely because we're lacking another well-rounded candidate at WLB, maybe it's because Wade knows more about his abilities than we do.

16. Dutchrudder

I can agree with that in general as I trust Wade saying that we have only seen 50% of the defense. I wish there were 3 DE spots available for Smith, Watt and Mario because I think that's where all of them belong, but since there are only two, Mario gets to be the defacto 'third DE' as an OLB. It might work out, but I don't think we will be getting the most out of him there. Combine that with the alternative of starting a rookie on the strong side, and you get what we have now. It's not ideal, but I think it will get the job done, I just wish we had a natural OLB in there instead of Mario.

For the future though, I don't think Mario will be an OLB after this year. I think it's a temporary move for him and that he will go back to DE next year with or without the Texans.

17. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I love it. After three years here the almost universal opinion was Okam was a bust and needed to be cut. Heck after two, many wanted him cut. Now he is an example of the coaching staff not being able to assess talent?

C'mon - dude in 5 years has 17 total tackles (no other stats of any kind). This is an example of another team taking a gamble rather than a failure by the Texans.

18. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

We kept the defensive line coach.

19. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

The same D-line coach who had a rep as one of the best in the NFL, and
    he coached with Wade back in the day. It's gonna take about 12 games
    before I decide if this staff is good, or the old staff was a load of gobbage.

5-7 is hypnotizing me with the monotony.

20. jtexas

jtexas Veteran

You have a good point, but this is completely opposite of what we are doing on defense. Half the defensive unit is sized to play the 4-3. We have Mario losing weight, Cody and Bennett trying to gain, Cushing and Ryans both undersized run stoppers. Everyone, but the corners and Manning are playing a new position (assignment wise). Wade deserves coach of the decade if this works. It's about as unnatural as it gets.