Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Talks have begun (sort of) with Segal

tulexan

Hall of Fame
Even given what appears to be some uncertainty on the part of the Texans' brass, though, Bush remains the favorite to be the Houston choice. ESPN.com has learned that there was dialogue on Tuesday between the Texans and Bush's agent, Joel Segal, but still no substantive negotiations. There have been no hard contract talks yet, either, with the representatives for North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams, the other prospect Houston is apparently considering with the first pick.

It's believed that the Texans will commence negotiations later this week with the aim of having the top pick signed before the draft begins. League rules permit the Texans, by virtue of owning the top selection, to begin contract negotiations with one or more candidates for the No. 1 spot.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2413022

I know it's good business to have the guy (whoever it might be) under contract before the draft, but I'm kind of hoping they don't. I like the anticipation and excitment when your sitting on the edge of your seat when the Commish says, "And with the 1st overall pick in the 2006 draft, the Houston Texans select ........."

Good, it is about time. Either guy is great, and I likely take the guy wanting less money and ties his money to performance. If you do contracts tied to performance you get guys that will really get after it for that cash. Just an extra incentive. But hey 20+M in guaranteed cash is likely enough incentive for anyone.

I've been pretty anxious the last month- thinking Bush was a lock, supposed interest in Mario, all the smokescreens... I hope we get a deal done with Bush before the draft.

I'm not so sure we should be talking to Segal...he hasn't done much since "Exit Wounds" and his acting style may be too much for his age now ;)

I'm pulling for the fun option. Sign Mario Williams before the draft, to put the board into apoplexy and then trade him on draft day to the Saints for #2 to freak everyone out again.

Sarg01 said:
I'm pulling for the fun option. Sign Mario Williams before the draft, to put the board into apoplexy and then trade him on draft day to the Saints for #2 to freak everyone out again.

If you wanted something like that to happen, you would hope to have the Texans sign Vince and then trade him to the Titans

Sarg01 said:

If we sign him ahead of time then trade him we eat whatever signing bonus we give him. If we were going to do that, just report that we have reached an agreement in priniciple, draft him, then trade his draft rights without having actually signed him. Still seems a bit excessive though.

Back