"Taking plays off" as described for Mario

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I am just curious on this phrase "taking plays off"

Mario has been described to do that..but I am wondering, by whom?
    The coach, the media?

How does one know what the assignment was for a particular player? attack? hang back and cover the flat?

someone shine some light on that? If I heard it from the coach, I would understand being he knows what plays were called and what the responsibilities where of a particular player and more important a particuliar position that that point of the game

2. BigSaint8050

BigSaint8050 Rookie

There were times in games where he would completely disapeer. You would think a college player with his physical skills would be a major factor play in and play out. However there are large streaches where he completely disapeers, at times looking as if he is letting himself be blocked. Just look at his stats from the beggining of the year to the end. Look at his stats game by game and you will get a small picture of it. Then if you get a chance watch a couple games against his larger opponents.

3. bayoudreamn

bayoudreamn Veteran

I would love to see some facts. This is pure speculation. Stats are at best difficult to use to evaluate anything. The usefulness of facts is that they give someone who wasn't there, or didn't see it.... something to look at to have a foundation for making a decision. Even then, you don't really know what you have unless you get an inside look at the real thing in action. Whether it's sports or anything else, relying on stats is a risky business.

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Some of this criticism stems from the fact that he sometimes would engage the tackles for too long rather than charging the edge. This has to do alot with his inexperience in good use of his hands, something that Kub and company have been successfully working on with him. The last thing you can say about Williams is that he is a slacker.

5. bayoudreamn

bayoudreamn Veteran

We won't have that until we see what he does when he takes the field.

6. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

Here is what happens with Freaks like this guy...............

Teams run away from you, you get double teamed 80% of the time, and even if you dont get doubled they will sometimes have a back chip you hard, and he said himself he has had trouble letting lineman chop block him and that is normal that comes with experience and he is only what 21 years old if that.

From watching the guy play he is an absulute freak, on how low he is for a guy his size, the leverage he plays with for being 6-7 is crazy (and sometimes he leans too far thats why he has had trouble with the chop)........
    Lets not make this into something outragous, the reason he "dissapeared" in big games is because he was getting doubled or trippled or they just flat out ran the ball away from him. Tell me what you would do on plays were you are doubled and the play is over in 3 seconds?
    Next to playing QB DLine is the hardest spot on the field to play...........

7. Revolution

Revolution All Pro

Heard the same thing about Julius Peppers...

Now who wouldn't want J Pepp?

8. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

I Would!

9. blockhead83

blockhead83 All Pro

Another consideration would be Mario's assignment for the play. If he was supposed to maintain containment then he might appear to be allowing himself to be blocked, when he's actually just taking away one of the offenses' options. Mario won't be getting great penetration every play, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's taking the play off.:twocents:

10. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

exactly..I hear that he takes playes off and just wonder who says it. how is it judged?

11. texansfaninla

texansfaninla Veteran

Mario himself said he took plays off in college. The quote was something like, "Who doesn't?" Might try to find that....

12. BigSaint8050

BigSaint8050 Rookie

As I said in my post, the stats only tell part of the story. You need to watch the film if you are going to make judgement.

I am by no means trying to diss Williams, as I am sure some Houston fans would automatically assume with me being a Saints fan. I however have seen him play, and have watched plenty of game tape. Believe what you will, I am not trying to change peoples minds, just answering a question with my opinion.

There are pleny times during the games, especially against better schools, that Mario is one on one with tackles and TE's and he doesn't attempt to move them. Also to the poster that said he gets double teamed 80% of the time, are you unaware that he had two other 1st round picks on the same line with him? I have heard several people, including his coaches, say that he wasn't even the most talented linemen on their team (that would be John McCargo). Also he may not even have been the most athletic player on the line, some would agrue that would have been Manny Lawson (6'5-1/2 250lbs 4.4 40" verticle).

Like I said, if you are going to pass judgement at least watch the tape, that doesn't mean highlight reels someone put together.

13. wicked_wayz

wicked_wayz all blacks

[QUOTE=texansfaninla]Mario himself said he took plays off in college. The quote was something like, "Who doesn't?" Might try to find that....[/QUOTE]

no he didn't!!!!! have a read of his compedium...... there's a clear explanation not only from him but his team mates and coach regarding assignment and the fact that after the first four games he finally perfected a technique that would stop the oline from cutting him

14. TK_Gamer

TK_Gamer Hall of Fame

maybe we need to dig up all the films of reggie bush and find all his faults. or maybe find faults in all the teams we get beat by. or maybe we should just wait tilll he plays a SINGLE FRIGGIN DOWN AS A PRO!

p.s. I think you show really poor taste going to some other teams board spouting trash, I wish i was a moderator

15. wicked_wayz

wicked_wayz all blacks

to everyone just view the link below it has the coaches as well as mario team mates such as manny lawson on what they say about williams

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/06/the_ultimate_mario_williams_co_1.html#comments

manny lawson "There's no way. His numbers were great, but if people think they were down at all it's because every team we played ran the ball away from him. Teams were scared to death of Mario."

ESPN "Critics point to the fact that 13½ of Williams' 14½ sacks last season came in the Wolfpack's final seven games and wonder about his consistency. Williams offered an interesting explanation for that. It took him four games to figure out how to better deal with cut blocks. Instead of wasting time pushing down with both hands on blockers' shoulder pads and stepping around the block the way linemen are taught, Williams learned how to handle blockers with one hand or just hurdle them. He had three sacks in NC State's fifth game, against Wake Forest"

Mario Williams: 126 solo tackles / 25 1/2 sacks / 55 1/2 tackles for loss

Julius Peppers: 128 solo tackles / 30 1/2 sacks / 53 tackles for loss

16. JAXwithanX

JAXwithanX Veteran

Please spend as much time needed to find it....if thats what it takes (eternity because the quote doesn't exist), by all means do it....whatever you can fill your time with to keep your posts off the board.

17. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

Just like I said, he is a bigger freak of an athlete then JP is, kind of like Jevon Kearse mold.

18. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

well honestly I don't see how you can't wonder about his consistency when you look at all the factors:

A- he had two other first round picks on the line, he wasn't ever the sole person offenses gameplanned for.
    B- his physical tools are superior to any player he has ever played against, he should be able to physically dominate the opposition on every down
    C- Peppers had better stats at UNC, and while he had a high draft pick on the line with him, it was proven that peppers made simms not the other way around. Williams had two guys to take away pressure that shouldve left him 1 on 1 to collect 20+ sacks

just my opinion, he had the tools to set every sack record in college. so when he only gets around 1 a game, you have to wonder.

19. MasterC25

MasterC25 Rookie

A- All good college D-Lineman usually has one or two good players they play with. No one ever anchors by themselves.
    B- If thats the case then I am assuming that you think he should have made every tackle this past season. Even when there gameplan is to try to avoid Mario as much as possible.
    C- Peppers did not have better stats look it up. It will soon be proven that Mario made all those guys better.( Not saying that the other two won't pan out) I just believed Mario allowed them to shine better by forcing the play there way. Freeney, Rice, Peppers,Strahan,Taylor none of them ever got 20+ sacks while in a college season.

20. Tex Trenches

Tex Trenches Veteran

"Taking plays off" or taking us to the playoffs. I believe he'll do the latter for our team.