Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Takeaways from the Falcons game.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texansphan, Oct 6, 2019.

1. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Which is why I've been calling for BOB to switch back to the offense Watson's most comfortable in.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  2. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

And that would be the real EP system.

3. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

See again this is a misunderstanding about what the EP system is. The version BoB has been running is the real EP system, the version he ran against the falcons is the real EP system, the version BB ran when he was completely dependent on Brady is the real EP system as is the version now that leans much more of the defense. There is no "Real EP system" its like saying what is a real house. Some maybe 200 sq ft, some maybe 2000 sq ft, some may have 5 bathrooms, some only 1. Some are made of wood, some brick and some out of clay. They are all real houses though they are just different to fit the person that lives there either due to preference, budget or location.

The EP system, at least the current form of it, is one of the most fluid systems out there. Its why so many teams with some many different strengths and weaknesses run it. Because its a jack-of-all-trades systems.

frethack, CWTexansFan and dream_team like this.
  4. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Not the Clemson system?

5. santo

santo Hall of Fame

OB needs to run a 2 TE system like the Pats did with Gronk/Hernandez, a 3 back system like the Pats did when they didn't have a legit running back, an Eldelman/Welker with maybe Stills, Carter and Coutee. The only thing OB really can't run is the Moss system, but it would work if he tried the other ones first opening Fuller/Hopkins.

He has all these options the Pats ran before. The thing is with OB is that he tries to stick to a certain ideal that sometimes doesn't work.

CWTexansFan and Texansballer74 like this.
  6. Texansballer74

I know how the EP system operates Maverick. But what Obrien runs does not look like it at all IMO. Not even the vanilla version of it.

7. Texansballer74

Double Jeopardy

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  8. Texansballer74

Watson rookie season it was Clemson's system.

9. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Thanks for clarifying. Since all of this EP debate, I've been reading a lot of articles on EP. I didn't really know what it meant. From what I've read, you are correct.

So when someone says Watson can or can't run EP, they basically don't know what they're talking about. It would be more correct to say Watson can/can't run BOB's offense.

10. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

they traded away 2nd & 3rd already. I have no interest anymore in what they do or don’t do draft wise, because they don’t even have a draft left to develop.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Texansballer74 likes this.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. mws

mws Veteran

I have read several articles as well. It seems to me it is more about how the plays are called than what plays are actually called.

Here is an excerpt from an article written in 2014. All of the articles I have read said just about the same thing.

"Erhardt-Perkins Offense - The unique trait of this offense is the way plays are organized. Instead of long cryptic names or a numbering system, they are organized by "concepts" that are visualized often by a single word. The word might be "Choice" or "In." All receivers memorize all of the routes associated with this concept which allows a great deal of flexibility by allowing different receivers to line up in any of the alignment positions. And it is much easier to learn, and thus leads to less mistakes. And it also has a lot of different looks and is not simple to defend."

12. austins23

austins23 Hall of Fame

Another takeaway from the Falcons game, EP system talk be damned!!!

Is Julio Freakin Jones had 3 catches for 42 yards and a fumble. It wasn't a turnover but it was a fumble. Julio Freakin Jones. Top 3 WR in the league. On a day where Ryan threw for 350ish and 3 TD's, Julio only caught 3 balls. That's pretty good.

13. Texansballer74

But it was said O'brien's offense was very complicated and took a few years to learn.

14. disaacks3

disaacks3 Moderator Staff Member

It's damn difficult on receivers. I've never, EVER heard it described as "easy" on either the QB or WR.

https://www.boston.com/sports/extra-points/2014/09/02/what_makes_the_patriots_offense_so_difficult

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

so O'brien can hear OC and suggest a different play.

16. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Communications between the two happen throughout the game........the reason both have "menus"..........O'Brien makes the final play call decisions that go to Watson.

17. frethack

frethack All Pro

18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

First two could be gone 2022.

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Interesting that E/P system has been used in NFL since 1990s but I can't recall so much talk as this thread. I read article recently from 2018 saying only 6 teams use it and none were Texans. Don't recall who wrote it.

20. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

A part of it that wasn’t bolded is “Tom Brady expects a lot from you....” not the coaches or BB but Brady. That’s tells me the current system is so tough not because it’s the EP system but because it’s the EP system Brady likes and uses. I’m sure BB has plenty of say to but BB has always more a defense guy so he’s let Brady have more offense freedom since he became the Tom Brady we know (and hate).

NastyNate and CWTexansFan like this.