Tacks trying to get Peyton

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by TheIronDuke, Mar 12, 2012.

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

http://kdvr.com/2012/03/11/espn-manning-leaning-toward-denver/

Apparently Bud Adams is going to break the bank to try to get Manning to Possum Holler.

2. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

3. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Not sure Peyton would want to play the Colts twice a year!

Regardless, I'm not sceeeeeerrrrred!! Let him break the bank on ONE player! Takes more than a QB to win a SB. Just ask Peyton Manning!:winky:

4. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

They were 9-7 last year with Matt Hasselbeck, so upgrading to Peyton Manning would likely put them in the playoffs. Add Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark to Kenny Britt and Nate Washington and they suddenly have a good passing attack. I hope he doesn't go there...

5. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

The thing about Bud Adams is, I'm not really sure what his real priority is . . . helping his own team, or just trying to **** Houston again.

Back in my Navy days, they had a saying about Admiral Rickover . . . "the world may come to an end, but Admiral Rickover will never die"

I'm starting to feel that way about Bud Adams.

6. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

IMO, you got Mario to take down Manning. IF Manning is still in our division, you make sure you still have Mario.

7. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Yeah he did such a good job of that for years didn't he. Manning and the colts had a better record and owned the division until manning got injured. Mario couldn't hold peydons jock strap.

8. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Manning's a smart guy. I reckon he already knows what an asshat Bud is.

9. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Maybe the team didn't do it but Mario didn't have the team he has now. If Payton takes the type of hits he took from us back in 2010 (which I look back at now and realize could've been the reasons for his operation) he aint going to be able to take the hits the defense we have now can give.

All I'm saying is that you can't have enough pass rushers against Manning.

10. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

That's a poorly supported statement.

It was my impression that the Titans were rather "lucky" last year. It should be interesting to read Football Outsiders on them as the offseason progresses. But, they were very '08 Dolphins/'10 Bucs-ish to me.

11. Rey

Rey Guest

Assuming Peyton is healthy and can play close to the level he was at pre-injury, this could make the Titans a very tough team to play.

I've said it before, but I hope the Texans FO doesn't have the same cavalier attitude that some of the fans seems to have. We haven't accomplished anything really.

12. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

Can the Titans afford Manning with all the money they are flushing down the toilet with Chris Johnson?

13. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Peyton has been sacked more by Mario than any other player in the league.

14. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Ok, here ya go...

They were 8th overall in points allowed, which is pretty dang good. 18th in total yards allowed though.

They were 21st in points scored with 20.3 avg. 17th in total yards gained.

Now add Manning and Wayne to that team, and tell me how many more points they would score. I would guess about 4 points a week on average. That would be 64 more points scored throughout the season, or about 9 touchdowns. I think Manning brings at least that much of an improvement. It would take them from 21st to 10th overall, just ahead of the Texans.

Manning alone could fix their run game by opening up the box for CJ to run. Last year they didn't have much of a run game at all, and a lot of that was due to teams being able to stack the box against a team without a #1 WR after Britt went down. Having Britt and Wayne at WR with Washington in the slot would be pretty good. CJ as the dumpoff option for Manning would also be great.

15. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I'll wait for FO's analysis. I'll stick by my assertion that they were more lucky than good, though, until then.

16. GP

GP Go Texans!

Whatever will be, will be.

If he joins any other team OTHER THAN the Titans, then the fears are proven to have been worthless here. He might even loathe the idea of playing for Bud Adams. He might think Chris Johnson doesn't have the brain power to understand the nuances of how he (Peyton) operates snap-to-snap...which would make it one giant cluster-you-know-what.

To me, Peyton is a straight-forward guy. He is like George Patton: He will lead his tanks into battle and even walk right in front of them and lead the way, exposing himself to the enemy's fire. He went to the Broncos, he's been to the Cardinals, and he's eliminated Seahawks and Chiefs altogether. That tells me that he means what he means when he goes one place and then goes to another.

Now, if he ends up visiting the Titans? Then it's time to worry. I don't want him in the AFC South. He's still capable of haunting us, to a degree. Especially if they add some firepower to their passing attack.

But whatever will be, will be.

17. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

Honestly, I don't think Peyton does anything that will directly hurt the Colts, which is why I don't see him landing at any AFC South team.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

9-7 with CJ2ypc & no Brit.... get those two going & they could definitely make some noise if they fix their defense.

(9-7 going against the Texans 2s & 3s in the final game of the season mind you).

19. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Emperor Adams: Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your team, up there in Indianapolis, are walking into a trap, as is your Indy fans. It was *I* who allowed Irsay to know the location of your contract. It is quite safe from your pitiful little team. An entire legion of my best coordinators awaits them. Oh, I'm afraid the defensive unit will be quite operational when your team arrives.

Emperor Adams: [In the throne room, Peyton is watching the Titans team attack the Colts from the huge throne room window] As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL titans station!
    [Emeror Adams hits the comlink switch on his throne]
    Emperor Adams: Blitz at will, Munchak!
    [In the coach's room, a group of hooded titan scouts starts priming the titans super cornerback Innegan - a device so advanced it can be trained on quaterbacks, (but cannot affect WR's). A series of tones signify that the weapon is ready]
    Fire!
    [a second scout hits a switch, and a little cornerback roars down a firing shaft. and moves out from the titan's defense. It hits Indy's quarterback, bounces off of him, and quarterback trips over the CB in less than a second]

Emperor Adams: [to Peyton] The colts... will die. As will your team mates. Good, I can feel your anger. I am defenseless. Take your football. Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!

thunderkyss likes this.
  20. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

$28 million under cap, expected to make a run at Mario.