Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Tackle: possible solution?

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
I was never a huge fan of CPitts as a LT but I think we are to the point where he makes sense. If Winston can't handle the LT position over the next couple weeks, I think moving Pitts to LT and giving Winston some time at guard makes a lot of sense. It sounds like Kubiak and company believe that he will end up there anyway. Either that, or re-sign Wand. Weigert and Salaam just don't cut it.

I'm sure the position will be further adressed this offseason and we're likely to have Spencer back next year as well. However, I would hate to regress at other areas, like QB, because we stubbornly keep Pitts at guard because that's where they want him next year.

Cjeremy635

Overtraining
I don't think it would happen because Kubiak has stated in the past that he plays the players at the position that they do best, so I would only see Pitts going to LT if there was some major injuries on this team and he was the only option. I think he will start rotating Winston & Salaam on a regular basis to give Salaam a rest and Winston some much needed experience.

bah007

Hall of Fame
I am not impressed with what I have seen from Winston.

He was overly hyped in college just cuz he was a good player at the U.

I cringed when this draft pick was announced.

From what I hear he has bad technique, isnt strong enough to play LT, & is overall not a very smart football player.

Give Winston his chance. If he comes through...than good we don't have to worry about tackles for next season, for we will have Winston and Spencer. If he doesn't, then we must address a big name from free agency or the draft at tackle.

The only keepers I see on our o line who should start next season:

Flanagan at center
Pitts at Guard
Spencer at Tackle

get rid of the rest, minus winston who hasn't had a chance yet.

Since it is Halloween, I will provide my theory that the LT position is cursed with the Houston Texans, ever since they tried to get Boselli in there. Riley, Pitts, Boselli, Wand, Salaam, Bedell, and now Spencer and Winston have all played left tackle, and none of them have stuck. If the Texans had drafted D'Brickashaw, something would have happened by now. Either he wouldn't be up to caliber, injured, whatever.

Personally, I'm for bringing back Wand or putting Pitts in the position. If the Texans truly are alternating Pitts, Weary, and McKinney as the guards, the Texans can afford to put Pitts back in there. I am still under the assumption that if all tackles were killed in a freak halloween accident, Kubiak would still look for someone besides Wand to play. Makes no sense to me, but what can you do? I would have liked an explanation for what Kubiak doesn't see in him.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Don't weaken a stronger position to make a weak position slightly stronger - if that makes anysense.

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
Don't weaken a stronger position to make a weak position slightly stronger - if that makes anysense.
Or put your best line out there. If LT/LG Pitts/Weary is stronger than Salaam/Pitts play them (assuming McKinney really is starter quality at RG).

I haven't watched Pitts very closely - have they been rotating him in and out of the game again, or was that just in the second game of the season?

Rex King

Waterboy
What tells me this isn't going to happen is Kubiak playing Bedell at LT. He has shown some flexibility with personnel/positions (but not with regard to Wand), but it seems he's pretty set on keeping Pitts at G. I also see Winston getting more PT at tackle.

brewhaus

Rookie
Pitts has been extremely quiet this year, thus meaning he's having a great year.
Keep him at left guard.
I agree 84, Chester needs to stay at guard. Maybe the tackles we have can attend some of the inspirational motivation classes our quarterback is currently attending. :yawn:

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
Wand is the answer, but it will never happen. How many times has he been injured? The man played his heart out for us despite what some think.