Tackle or Guard?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansSeminole, Dec 4, 2006.

1. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Do we need a more and better tackles or guards? Which spot do you think is weaker for us?

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

yes

Texans Horror likes this.
  3. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

both- but tackle is horrible

4. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Totally depends on what happens with Spencer, as far as which situation is worse, but we need both--right after we draft a corner or FS in the first round and get a veteran to play the other.

5. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

i think we are going to be too high to draft a saftey...unless we beat the titans and browns (unlikley) we are going to be in the top 5, so its probably going to be Thomas, Hall or trade down

6. Scooter

Scooter Funky

both. we're in almost identical situations on the right side. weary's a backup at best who can be good but is entirely too inconsistant. winston is most deffinately a work in progress still and should be a backup at most (and might actually be better at a guard position). we need starters for both sides on the right, we need a backup center to groom in order to replace flanagan by the end of next season, and assuming spencer comes back we need a better backup than salaam. i havent gone back and rewatched the game to see how hodgdon really did, but from what i took notice to, he's not the answer.

going into next year we'll have spencer, pitts, flanagan, & winston ... only 2 of which are obvious starters. we need everything.

7. TexansSeminole

Are you saying that we can't beat the Pats or the Colts?

8. Vinny

Hodgdon doesn't have enough junk in the trunk...I'm sure he will always struggle in the power department. I don't think he is going to make it long term. Our Tackle play is bad...our Guard play is very good at times, mediocre at other times, and better run blocking than they are at pass protecting...although you can't tell it in the last few games.

9. DontTreadOnMe

DontTreadOnMe Rookie

we should trade down if the opportunity arises... we need so much help in so many areas.. we have to accumulate as much talent as possible.... things are taking shape.. we will be solid in another year or two.. just look at kubes first draft, very very solid. we have doubled our win total from last year, and i think we can win 3 out of our last 4 games to finish the year at 7-9, giving our players, coaches, and fans reason to believe that we can be a very good team by going 7-9 in an injury riddled season.

HJam72 likes this.
  10. TexansSeminole

I think it would be in our best interest to grab a tackle off FA and draft a guard. I know we need help at both positions.

11. Vinny

It's easier to do the opposite. Teams rarely let go of good tackles (either that or you overpay for guys like Todd Wade). You can find good FA Guards every year for the most part. You generally have to draft your bookends since they are more scarce...generally. Personally, I don't think we need a Guard. I think Weary and Pitts will be fine by next year after a year in this system. We do need a center though.

12. TexansSeminole

I didn't say it would be easy haha. It would be best if we could do that...but I don't think it will happen. If Spencer is out, which it looks like he is, I'd bet we drafted another left tackle on the first day. I just wonder if they will draft a guard that high also this year. We really need to deal some of these players for draft picks. Seems our roster needs a pretty thorough change.

13. Vinny

imo, no way....I think we are set at guard. We need a tackle and a center.

14. TexansSeminole

I don't like Weary all that much. McKinney and Flanagan are about the same for me. They are both getting older, more injury prone now, starting to lose what they had. They both need replacements...so I guess you could say they are both pretty big needs.

15. Vinny

If you look closely, Weary flat out plows his man and wins most of his battles. He struggles with some hand work and gets beat inside with a good 3 technique pass rusher at times...but he is just starting to find himself as a player now that he starts. I think we will see Pitts and Weary as our Guard tandem for a while.

16. TexansSeminole

I sure hope your right, the more players we can salvage from this roster the better. He really fits a need IMO too, because I have been thinking about McKinney's successor all year.

17. Vinny

...but then again, all this Weary-love is coming from the guy with the big Fred avatar. :tearup:

18. Scooter

Scooter Funky

weary gets plowed though too often in pass protection and what concerns me is the blitz/stunt pickup on that right side. i dont really watch close enough to lay blame, but i'd like to see weary become a lot more consistant in pass pro before trusting him as next season's starter.

19. Vinny

I think he does fine when surrounded with decent players...but with Hodgdon on one side and Winston on the other he has no chance. Watch some of the games from early in the season and watch his explosion...he's clocking people left and right. Right now he has no help on either side of him.

20. TexansSeminole

That's very true. Considering its a zone blocking scheme too, dependent on the unit to be dominant.