Surprise, surprise... McClain Mock

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by Playoffs, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Johnny McClain's Mock 2.0
    [​IMG]

2. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

lol 3.0 it will be Clowney....that way he can always go back and say "at one point I had ___________ mocked to the Texans, so I'm not surprised"

3. _King_

_King_ Guest

McClain has said he has no clue who the pick will be and he will do different mocks with us taking different guys. He's admitted he's spit balling.

4. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

That's what they all do. That's why I pay more attention to people's rankings than their mocks. I know what our needs are, all I am interested in is the difference in opinion on the rankings of the prospects.

5. Playoffs

My bad on the title, then. Problem is his stuff gets picked up nationally and turned into a big story... the he's on every football show known to man supporting his "spitballing" as truth.

6. _King_

_King_ Guest

Wasn't calling you or your title out at all.

Just providing some additional info. McClain said he's going to do different mocks with us taking each one of the top guys because he has no idea who we'll take and at this point he doesn't think the Texans are 100% sure either.

7. Playoffs

Got that, was just owning my mistake. :)

I've heard him multiple times on t.v. and radio shows around the country stating unequivocally the Texans will draft a QB at 1-1... without the qualifier you & I have heard from him on 610 locally. He makes himself the story, and isn't honest in the way he presents imo.

8. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Trust me when I say you are not the only one who feels this way. :handshake:

9. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

I would love to see pundits (and using that term loosely with McClain because even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while) just produce ONE mock draft 2 weeks before the official draft. Make a list and stick with it. Anyone can do several mock drafts then think they're a genius when they see their pick go first.

10. Playoffs

And McClain's mocking Manziel to the Texans is at the top of the NFL AM show on NFLN.

Why do 3 or 4 "I don't know" hometown paper mocks for the 1st overall pick, except to raise the author's profile? Do local media guys get paid appearance fees for radio and television???

11. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Largely, the same reason that entertainment sections are always producing top 10 lists on everything, readers like them. The guys the produce and most of the people that read know that all of these are pretty meaningless, but the format is perfectly made for people to agree disagree and post in the comment section.

12. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Normally, for a short segment (less than 10 minutes)they are not paid. If they have some weekly or regular segment that is normally paid.

13. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

for a football scribe this is one of those times where you are smart to saturate your market and raise your profile. McClain is smart to abuse his status even though us old timers find it redundant and put less and less weight on it each year.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

He actually said on the radio just that , he would have a different guy at the top over the next few weeks so he could say "I had it right." Tho the statement was about the quarterbacks.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Yes.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think the national guys figured out people love it when they talk about Johnny Manziel, so they're going to talk about him regardless. McClain just gave them another excuse.