Super Bowl LIII

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Mollywhopper, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Chargers and Rams will end up moving again someday, Oakland will already be gone, and San Fran will still have the 49ers.

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

The Chargers and San Diego need to work out their pissy fight.

Absolutely great city. Military bars for cheap drinks.* Seafood and Mexican. Grilled calamari on the beach. Great weather. My favorite in California. Hate, HATE, LA. San Francisco is fun because it is so eclectic. Sh!t weather.

* don't ever fu@k with the military in San Diego. About to have a fight with some Marines one night. Jackhole civilian mouthed off. And then it was Army & Marines against jackholes. Too easy. Many shots were had thereafter.

DBCooper and JB like this.
  3. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

California and St. Louis seem to have short attention spans when it comes to some NFL franchises. Then again, lot's of teams move, just some more than others.

4. infantrycak

St. Louis was a creation of a few powerful men. I represented one. They thought they'd pull more business than they did so it collapsed. California is over-saturated.

5. gary

gary Hall of Fame

The fact that the defense played so well I am surprised there is not another cheating scandal yet. LOL.

6. austins23

austins23 Hall of Fame

Spent two months there years back on TDY. Gorgeous. Just an awesome city.

7. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I know you don't mean you represented one of the cities founders but I'm curious about what are you saying here because I'm a Missouri native so I know something about St. Louis even though I'm from the other side of Missouri, the west side which is KC.
    But I do know that St.Louis unlike Kansas City has been struggling economically for years and is therefor in decline which is one of the reasons that Kroenke moved the
    team along with all of the irresistible opportunities of having an NFL franchise back in the countrys second largest metro area for the first time in many years.

8. infantrycak

I meant the team. Group thought an NFL team would make the city renew. Fun few years. They had box seats, planes. Guy I worked with had been the police chief. No worries driving.

9. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

11. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Rams made it to the SB, they were doing something right.

12. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Over saturated? They just aren't die hard football fans. Never have been. That's why Rams and Raiders have already bailed on them before. They support the Lakers and the Dodgers just fine. The idea that L.A fans were going to all of a sudden support two football teams was horrifically stupid. They just aren't big in football there.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    steelbtexan likes this.
  13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Trades/FA signings/Drafting well

Hopefully the Texans will follow this model.

14. Texecutioner

They bought a SB caliber team. They were really good last season, and added Suh, Talib, Peters, and Cooks in one off season which was one of the most unfair rosters I've seen in the last 10 years. Just glad they didn't win it.

15. Texecutioner

Texans will never take the aggressiveness that the Rams took in last off season. I could only wish and dream. Gaine is another Rick. Could you imagine a Texans team adding Talib or Suh? That alone would never happen. Not to mention adding two scumbags like that, and also a high paid WR and another top 10 CB? That would take 3 off seasons to add all of that to the Texans at the pace they work.

steelbtexan likes this.
  16. infantrycak

Yes they are over-saturated. And "they" was California not LA. 4 pro teams (Texas is 3/4s as big and has 2) and a whole bunch of college ball which is heavily attended. Since there are both pro & college in all the big cities many people pick one. The same isn't true of Texas.

JB likes this.
  17. Texecutioner

These are some valid points Cak, but I just don't think they're a football city like that. Some just aren't. They've had enough periods of time with teams there and they all end up bailing. I think they will again especially with a franchise like the Chargers who just don't captivate fans that well and never have and the Rams who do't seem to have that storied of a franchise either. The SB numbers from L.A. was not that good even with their own team there. I think one of both teams will end up leaving again in the next 10 years. I could be wrong, but I think the fans there are way to shaky.

18. infantrycak

You touched on this, part of the problem is the owners demanding new stadiums ir improvements and then moving. Oakland has always felt they have some of the best fans but Davis kept jacking them for money. I never got the Chargers moving and think they should move back. That was a fight for public funding also.

19. infantrycak

Having said that LA & San Fran/Bay Area both keep trying to run 4 major draws, 2 pro & 2 college. That really splits up the crowd.

JB likes this.
  20. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

I still believe San Antonio is a major market that just needs to be tapped. Jerry Jones shouldn't have that much say in blocking a team from taking advantage of this potential market

Football and baseball stadiums need to be placed outside Universal City and before New Braunfels. Corporate Box purchases would come from both San Antonio and Austin. Fans from both cities and every city in between would make a solid fan base.

I would include the wooing of the Rays or Marlins at some point since I don't see the Florida market keeping them afloat for the long haul.

Bottom line.....Texas is a heck of draw and for many obvious reasons.

santo likes this.