Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Rookie

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
I've noticed that some Texans fans have placed Zach Diles in this spot, but I wonder if this is realistic. Diles excites me because of the good things I hear, but in reality he has not seen much playing time. Bentley and Thompson seem like good depth but should either one be a starter for the Houston Texans? I think so.

I bring up this position because it's a hole we don't talk about as much as others.

I think that whoever wins it will do well, my money is on Bentley although it is not beyond comprehension that we pick one up in the draft.

agreed. "should" be will be decided during training camp. the best thing about this scenario is i feel like those three guys are pretty equal at this stage. diles has the system, the other two have more experience. both seem unproven. all three i should say. it may end up being SLB by committee. we may pick up a big time guy in the draft. you never know. i hope that it's diles just because he was drafted as a texan and he's young and Kubiak has had lots of positive things to say about him. but i am very excited about this battle in camp!

who cares, so long as they're raising hell for opposing offenses. will there be a battle for for the weakside? i like greenwood but is his job safe?

I think that whoever wins it will do well, my money is on Bentley although it is not beyond comprehension that we pick one up in the draft.

I'm surprise Bentley got any votes to be the starter at SLB. In 6 seasons he accumulated a grand total of 0 sacks, isn't that kind of pathetic for a strong-side LB? Not to mention hes undersize at 6ft 240lb.

I'm surprise Bentley got any votes to be the starter at SLB. In 6 seasons he accumulated a grand total of 0 sacks, isn't that kind of pathetic for a strong-side LB? Not to mention hes undersize at 6ft 240lb.

i don't think hes had that much playing time, he is playing backup to julian peterson and lofa tatupu

he started 22 games in his career, and was full-time starter in 03, vs. Thompson who started 0 games but still racked up 10.5 sacks.

http://www.nfl.com/players/kevinbentley/profile?id=BEN697426

http://www.nfl.com/players/chaunthompson/careerstats?id=THO499357

I'm pulling for Thompson, I love his measurables and speed, he ran a 4.4 in the combine weighing in at 240.

The Brown fans said he was more suited for the 4-3, so I'm hoping he can play up to his 2nd round draft selection in our defense.

I had the chance to hear Richard Smith talk a few weeks ago (I was one of the winners in a contest) and a whole group of us got to hear Richard Smith talk for 90 min about himself....coaching.....Texans players....
One of the guys he mentioned was Zach Diles....to look at for him this fall.....he just might start......thought I might pass that along......:read: :fans: :mail:

The coaches expect receiver Jacoby Jones, guard Kasey Studdard and outside linebacker Zac Diles to start at some point. The jury is still out on safety Brandon Harrison and offensive lineman Brandon Frye.

The day after the season, Smith met with each player in his office. Kubiak waited until later to talk to the players. He completed that task Tuesday.

"Before I talked to them, I watched cut-ups of them," Kubiak said. "I talked to each player about what I saw on the tape and what we expect of them."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5537040.html

The Texans believe Zach Diles can eventually become a starter at outside linebacker.
Diles, a stocky 6'0/240-pound rising second-year player, worked on special teams and as DeMeco Ryans' backup as a rookie. If Danny Clark or Charlie Anderson isn't retained, Diles could see action on the strong side in 2008.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4414

Seems like Diles is this year Kevin Walter. I remember awhile back a poster said that Rick Smith had Zac Diles "penciled in as starter" during a radio interview on 610.

See to me, that's not suprising really, it is the strong side, wich is typically run support duty or covering the tight end/running back in coverage. I want a guy that can tackle on the strong side. Just like the LDE, a few sacks are nice too, but if you can't stop the run you need to be weak side. This is why I dont rag on Weaver like some of the board does. He doesn't get sacks, but he is a good tackler. The fact that Mario gets the sacks from the left side so much is actually kind of non-typical. Then we blame Weaver basically for the fact that Mario plays better on the strong side. Think about it.

At this point, it doesn't matter which of them starts because NONE of them have EVER done anything. Let's hope ONE of them can lift his game up about 3 levels and be a solid contributor. My best bets are Thompson #1, Diles #2.
:fans:

I expect to see a bit of rotation as the SLB will be busting people even more this season. With Dunta out, I think the SLB will be expected to swing over and bust the WR with in five yards and then release. i think the spot is DIles to lose as Walter last year. I am hoping for even more physical play from backers this season. I think Kubes feels comfortable with Diles as a back up for Demeco also. I do not see a draft pick here. Same goes for RG.

Like most are saying, it should be whoever wins it in TC. I voted Diles because I hope he does just that.

I like Zach's instincts from what little I saw of him in college and the pros so far. I'm interested in seeing him in coverage, the knock on him is speed but I really really hope we can find someone who can cover the Dallas Clarks and Alge Crumplers of the division.

If Diles is that guy, i'd be ecstatic!!! :smiliedance:

Diles, unless OLB Rivers is still on the board at #18 then the rookie should start.

Yea, at Will.

I'm starting to lean more towards drafting Rivers, if Mendehall and the good OTs are already taken(including Albert).

Imagine our front 7 if we draft Rivers.

It'll be

Diles - DeMeco - Rivers

Mario - TJ - Amobi - Speed Rusher

That's atleast 4 pro-bowlers in that line-up.:drool:

Yea, at Will.

I'm starting to lean more towards drafting Rivers, if Mendehall and the good OTs are already taken(including Albert).

Imagine our front 7 if we draft Rivers.

It'll be

Diles - DeMeco - Rivers

Mario - TJ - Amobi - Speed Rusher

That's atleast 4 pro-bowlers in that line-up.:drool:

Thats a nasty lineup but I dont see how Diles would be starting. If Rivers was starting at WLB, Greenwood would probably take over at SAM. He is the same size as Diles, except he has more athleticism, more experience, and his play last year was pretty good. Diles would really have to impress Kubiak in camp/preseason to even be considered for the starting spot.

Rivers-Ryans-Greenwood
Williams-Johnson-Okoye-Kalu

That is a tremendous front 7. Although they will have to be in order to make up for the secondary. I can see the Texans taking Rivers if he is still on the board because he would probably be BPA, but there will also be some very good DBs available at #18 that could immediately start for this team.

Back