Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Strongest position on roster?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I would also like to suggest WR as the strongest position on the roster. Particularly with DW4 at QB elevating everyone’s play.

Hopkins is generally considered the best or top 5 WR in the game.

Fuller caught 7 TDs in 4 games with DW4 and always has to be accounted for by defenses so long as he’s healthy and full speed.

Between Ellington, Coutee and Miller someone should emerge as a dangerous slot weapon. And very likely someone else solidifies their place as quality depth.

Then there is always an opportunity for a diamond to emerge from the back end of the roster with the talent in camp this season. Coates, Weah, Smith and ST Ace Chris Thompson.

I’m a fan of the WR room this season.

Number19

Hall of Fame
I would also like to suggest WR as the strongest position on the roster. Particularly with DW4 at QB elevating everyone’s play.

Hopkins is generally considered the best or top 5 WR in the game.

Fuller caught 7 TDs in 4 games with DW4 and always has to be accounted for by defenses so long as he’s healthy and full speed.

Between Ellington, Coutee and Miller someone should emerge as a dangerous slot weapon. And very likely someone else solidifies their place as quality depth.

Then there is always an opportunity for a diamond to emerge from the back end of the roster with the talent in camp this season. Coates, Weah, Smith and ST Ace Chris Thompson.

I’m a fan of the WR room this season.
If everyone stays healthy, I'm really liking Hopkins, Fuller and Coutee. I'm also liking Akins and Thomas at TE. If Watson can stay healthy, we're going to have outstanding offensive production.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Especially if a guy like John Simon gets cut now that the Colts change scheme to add further OLB depth.

Though i’m not sure if the Titans and Vrabel wouldn’t be more attractive for him if he’s cut.
Damn.

Totally forgot Vrabel is the Head Coach of the Titans.

It has to be WR or LB.

WR:
Hopkins - best in the game
Fuller - one of the better deep threats
Ellington - solid
Coutee - so much potential

LB:
McKinney - One of the best in the league, arguably.
Cunningham - Underrated but getting better
Cole - Steal
Clowney- One of the best
Mercilus - arguably, top 10-12
Scarlett - solid
Ejiofor- potential

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
QB. Without Watson, this team could mail in a top 10 pick.
Here's what I've learned from observing the Texans under OB. One QB out of the dozens or so that have passed through here actually accomplished something. And that QB has so much natural talent he'd made anyone's system look good. Which tells me OB isn't the QB guru everyone says he is unless he has some grade A super QB, then he looks good, as any ******* coach would.

I'm sold on Watson, it ain't that. It's I'm not sold on OB yet. I don't know **** about Gain but I have more confidence in him to run the Texans than I do OB. And OB and Rick Smith, what a horrid disaster that was.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Agree with LB, then DL if healthy, then DB if KJ and HB can bounce back

Crennel has reloaded nicely.

The offensive talent outside of Watson, Hopkins and Fuller is pretty bad.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Both the LB and WR positions are the strongest. The defensive line being the 3rd strongest and imo the secondary will be the 4th.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
And OB and Rick Smith, what a horrid disaster that was.
I'm not going to defend Rick Smith's tenure as Texans GM. I've called for his head too many times to be able to do that. But, he did recognize Watson's potential to transfer his skills to the pro game. When a lot of experts and teams didn't see it.

I have to give some credit to O'Brien for assimilating Watson to become an effective, then explosive QB as a rookie. Is O'Brien a QB guru? I question his ability to scout college QBs. But, he has done a pretty good job with some (not all) fringe QBs that have walked into NRG. And you can't question what you saw last season with Watson. O'Brien and Smith weren't the absolute worst in the NFL.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I was thinking P or LS.....
I would agree but depth is an issue, particularly at LS, to keep this from being the strongest position, IMO. Yes, Weeks is a Pro-Bowl, easily top 5 LS, but I seem to recall him having some knee issues for a game or 2 last season. Losing him could be devastating.

Max

Veteran
I don't think tricky Ricky was so smart drafting DW. He just got lucky and took the last Quarterback available and got a winner. I would bet a dime to a dollar he was expecting to draft Mahomes.
I think you're probably right if you're saying that they had graded Trubisky, Mahomes and Watson all worthy of trading up for. We probably got lucky that Watson was the last one on the board (we'll see how their careers pan out). But shouldn't there be at least some credit for grading them all high enough to make the trade up?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Please give credit to who deserves it. We are so quick to beat a person up for the things that goes wrong. But when they get it right, it's oh they got lucky.
What leads you to believe RS deserves any credit? Do you really think DW was his first choice and would have moved up regardless? I think he was prepared to move up only after Mahomes and Trubisky were taken much higher than expected. If Watson was gone, he would have moved up for one of the other 2. He had a mandate from daddy

austins23

Hall of Fame
I was thinking P or LS.....
I was going to say Lechler as well. And the LS, name escapes me at the moment, is money. The dude hasn't had a bad snap in like, forever. Weeks is his name!

Seriously though, LB group is looking really good. Cole was a great UDFA signing.
And Lechler.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I was going to say Lechler as well. And the LS, name escapes me at the moment, is money. The dude hasn't had a bad snap in like, forever. Weeks is his name!

Seriously though, LB group is looking really good. Cole was a great UDFA signing.
And Lechler.
Jon Weeks.

Texansballer74

The Marine
What leads you to believe RS deserves any credit? Do you really think DW was his first choice and would have moved up regardless? I think he was prepared to move up only after Mahomes and Trubisky were taken much higher than expected. If Watson was gone, he would have moved up for one of the other 2. He had a mandate from daddy

He drafted JJ, Clowney, Mercilus, McKinney, Hopkins, Fuller, Watson and several other really good players on this team. So if you're going to drag his name in the mud for the bad draft picks, why can't you give him his props for the good ones. And please don't try to spin it with the argument of the coaching drafting those players either.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
secondary ...Jackson, Colvin, Joseph, Mathieu, Johnson...Reid...The secondary is definitely the strongest imo with the WR group a close 2nd only b/c after Hopkins, most of those guys all have something to prove or have proven very little.

nytexan

Waterboy
At first glance I'd vote for the LB group. If you have Clowney in that grouping, he Mercilius, McKinney, Cunningham should be top notch and Peters, Cole and Scarlett really give them depth. This may be their best LB group ever.

badboy

Hall of Fame
dang can we discuss any topic without sidewinding to Ric Smith and/or drafts,FAs from years ago? Watson makes all offensive players better. No one else does that. ILBs is strong but there some really good ones in top three rounds '19 same with OLB which if CLowney isn't very good for whatever reason we are going to need to look at. Corners also good shape but KJackson, Joseph, Bademosi and Kevin Johnson could be gone at any time. We have four very good to great WRs.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
QB. Without Watson, this team could mail in a top 10 pick.
I would agree with you but there's nothing resembling depth at the QB spot.

Frankly, Watson is what we used to call a single-point failure position. You even said it yourself, if Watson goes down, mail it in.

An injury to any one LB won't cause the group to go off the rails.

Now you're being revisionist. I remember posts about Rick Smith being enamored with Watson during the combine. Word was he made up his mind on Watson back then.
link

Watson checked every box on Smith's scouting report before, during and after the victory over Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide.

Smith spent time with Watson at the combine and before the draft when the quarterback came to Houston. They had dinner the night before Watson spent the day at NRG Stadium while Smith went to Pittsburgh for the funeral of Steelers owner Dan Rooney.
We have enough legit crap on Rick Smith without going Trump and making crap up.

...unless you have a link that specifically shows Smith was targeting Mahomes or whatsisky....

Last edited:

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
dang can we discuss any topic without sidewinding to Ric Smith and/or drafts,FAs from years ago? Watson makes all offensive players better. No one else does that. ILBs is strong but there some really good ones in top three rounds '19 same with OLB which if CLowney isn't very good for whatever reason we are going to need to look at. Corners also good shape but KJackson, Joseph, Bademosi and Kevin Johnson could be gone at any time. We have four very good to great WRs.
Okay, is the question which is the strongest "individual" or which is the strongest "position"?

If it's individual, then no question it's QB/Watson.

but if it's position, then I can't give it to QB when you're a play (or practice) away from losing all your capability.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Now you're being revisionist. I remember posts about Rick Smith being enamored with Watson during the combine. Word was he made up his mind on Watson back then.
link

We have enough legit crap on Rick Smith without going Trump and making crap up.

...unless you have a link that specifically shows Smith was targeting Mahomes or whatsisky....
The point that I was trying to make was that as Edo made the comment that RS got lucky with DW4 being available to trade up for that TB74 took exception to was right on. Many of us thought that Watson would be the first QB off the board. If Chicago would have taken him, Ricky still would have traded up for whichever one was left. He got lucky in that respect.

No need to bring your politics here

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
secondary ...Jackson, Colvin, Joseph, Mathieu, Johnson...Reid...The secondary is definitely the strongest imo with the WR group a close 2nd only b/c after Hopkins, most of those guys all have something to prove or have proven very little.
You seem awfully confident in what appears to me to be a serious number of question marks.

Joseph floated only somewhere above average last year at best and is only another year older.

Jackson moving positions seems like a long-awaited welcome change, but the answer is in no way a foregone conclusion ... much less one as a decided serious strength.

And Johnson is the absolute epitome of a question mark, if not in fact a negative one. I don't see how anyone could have watched him play the last year and change and still honestly consider his play a definitive asset going into this new season.

Mathieu, Colvin, and the potential of Reid I can understand being degrees of optimistic about. But the group in totality, and especially hinging on the three holdovers, I just don't see it man.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
You seem awfully confident in what appears to me to be a serious number of question marks.

Joseph floated only somewhere above average last year at best and is only another year older.

Jackson moving positions seems like a long-awaited welcome change, but the answer is in no way a foregone conclusion ... much less one as a decided serious strength.

And Johnson is the absolute epitome of a question mark, if not in fact a negative one. I don't see how anyone could have watched him play the last year and change and still honestly consider his play a definitive asset going into this new season.

Mathieu, Colvin, and the potential of Reid I can understand being degrees of optimistic about. But the group in totality, and especially hinging on the three holdovers, I just don't see it man.
Every group on the team has a number of question marks...but certainly That’s one view ..........if u take all these guys individually. But as a group they have the potential to be very very good. the return of Mercy and Watt should improve the pass rush tremendously and take some of the pressure off the secondary. Add to that Crennel returing to call the defense.....

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
RAC back for the D may be the strongest single position. I expect he will have a huge impact on this year's D. I am not sure what Vrabel every did except play for the Pats that warranted getting a HC gig. Certainly wasn't here.
He did good as a LBers coach, but that was it.. When asked to step up and take on a bigger role as DC, he **** the bed. I know we had injuries, but that still doesn't explain his piss poor performance.. RAC was still able to piece together a damn good defense without Watt.

I keep trying to tell Titan fans this, but they're having none of it..they think he's a Godsend. Nothing on Vrabel's resume warranted a shot at a HCing job..at least not yet.

Fred

Veteran
He did good as a LBers coach, but that was it.. When asked to step up and take on a bigger role as DC, he **** the bed. I know we had injuries, but that still doesn't explain his piss poor performance.. RAC was still able to piece together a damn good defense without Watt.

I keep trying to tell Titan fans this, but they're having none of it..they think he's a Godsend. Nothing on Vrabel's resume warranted a shot at a HCing job..at least not yet.
While I agree with all of this, you need to cut Titans fans a little slack. After all, they had Jeff Fisher for a billion years.

badboy

Hall of Fame
We are discussing strongest position (top to bottom). QB aint it.
OK but I thought it was each position as only one can play at a time. Depth not part of my equation based on my understanding of post. There are 11 positions so 11 players IMO but I get it if OP was looking at depth + starters.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
OK but I thought it was each position as only one can play at a time. Depth not part of my equation based on my understanding of post. There are 11 positions so 11 players IMO but I get it if OP was looking at depth + starters.
I see your thinking but I think it misses the intent of the question. I read it as "how are we fixed for depth at each position and where are we the strongest?"
We all know the "NOT-strong" 1st place award goes to the O-Line so no need to :deadhorse

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I'm going with the receiving corp. That group will be tight and fast when final cuts are made. They could be the best unit in the NFL with Watson at the helm.

mussop

Hall of Fame
I'd have to go with the Barwin-Ryans-Cushing-Reed Bulls on Parade group until proven different.
From top to bottom there is no comparison. This is the deepest most talented group ever. Best starters? Barwin was decent. Reed was very average. Occasional flash. Ryan’s was solid. Cushing in his rookie year was great. After that, not so much.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
From top to bottom there is no comparison. This is the deepest most talented group ever. Best starters? Barwin was decent. Reed was very average. Occasional flash. Ryan’s was solid. Cushing in his rookie year was great. After that, not so much.
To be fair this was 2011 team MVP Cushing during Watt’s rookie season he is talking about.

That said, I agree that this LB corps should be the best the team has ever had.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Duke Ejiofor looked very promising. He could be a steal. Pair him and Cole with the top 4 and we could have the deepest and best LB group in the NFL. They still need to go out and prove it but dam is this a solid group on paper. Love the front 7 depth and talent. Add in Crennel coaching again and this defense will be fun to watch.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Duke Ejiofor looked very promising. He could be a steal. Pair him and Cole with the top 4 and we could have the deepest and best LB group in the NFL. They still need to go out and prove it but dam is this a solid group on paper. Love the front 7 depth and talent. Add in Crennel coaching again and this defense will be fun to watch.
I also like what he could bring to the ST unit.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Duke's pass rush moves for a rookie were top notch. He also has that knack for knowing where he is going, some guys put their heads down and bull and just get pushed by, he knows how to mix it up and at the right time get the angle that causes pressure, hits and sacks. He looks like a steal. Gives Romeo one more guy to rotate in and keep the pressure up. If we are playing from the lead and can unleash fresh legs from the DL and LB's, this could be fun to watch them eat

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Duke's pass rush moves for a rookie were top notch. He also has that knack for knowing where he is going, some guys put their heads down and bull and just get pushed by, he knows how to mix it up and at the right time get the angle that causes pressure, hits and sacks. He looks like a steal. Gives Romeo one more guy to rotate in and keep the pressure up. If we are playing from the lead and can unleash fresh legs from the DL and LB's, this could be fun to watch them eat
This Ejiofor kid is damn good, he's relentless, got some kind of motor.
Excellent 6th-round value by young Mr. Gaine.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
This Ejiofor kid is damn good, he's relentless, got some kind of motor.
Excellent 6th-round value by young Mr. Gaine.
The shoulder injury and not doing any offseason workouts dropped him to 6th but he is not at all a 6th round talent. This is the perfect example of risk/reward pick in the late rounds of the draft. Clearly someone with potential to do more than be a backup/fringe roster player.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
He drafted JJ, Clowney, Mercilus, McKinney, Hopkins, Fuller, Watson and several other really good players on this team. So if you're going to drag his name in the mud for the bad draft picks, why can't you give him his props for the good ones. And please don't try to spin it with the argument of the coaching drafting those players either.

He did really good with #1 picks …. other than Okoye …. its those 2nd-4th picks that always seemed out of sorts.