Strictly talent wise, where do we rank?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Rey, Aug 30, 2011.

?

Where would you rank the team talent wise?

1. Top 5

14.5%
  2. Top 10

46.1%
  3. Top half

35.5%
  4. Bottom half

3.9%
  1. Rey

Rey Guest

Top 5? Top 10? Top half?

Anything less than that It'd take a good argument for me to entertain.

Also, what teams are ahead of us talent wise?

I'm going to answer, just need to think about it for a second.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  2. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Offensively - Top 5.

Defensively - mid pack until they show they're better than that

Special Teams - mid pack; mainly because we have a pretty solid PK and we've upgraded at punter. The return and cover teams are keeping those units from being any higher.

3. Vinnie

Vinnie with an I E

I'm going top half as a team. I get that there is a truck load of talent on D now, but until they translate it on the field in a regular season game I'm a sceptic.

4. Rey

Rey Guest

Maybe it's late and I'm not thinking clearly.

But I'm going to lockbon at top 5. Typing that I feel dirty and ashamed though.

That said, Arian is a beast. Aj is aj. Schaub is upper tier. The o line has good pieces across the board. Casey seems like he will deliver. Depth at rb is good. I think our wr talent is actually pretty good. Jj may not perform well consistently, but as a #3 wr he has to be up there right? Dickerson is a freak athlete. The talent is there. The refinery needs to come. Same for jj really. Owen Daniels is a beast and dreesen is no slouch.

Defensively (although they have a lot of question marks) I think weve got talent as well. Jjo, Mario, watt, smith, Cushing, demeco, manning, smith, gq, kjax, barwin, reed, Harris. Those guys have talent, some upper echelon, some really good.

Our defense isn't full of stiffs but talent wise our offense is crushing people.

Maybe top 5 was too high. Maybe top ten?

5. Perki-Perk

Perki-Perk DieHard Texan!

I'm going to sleep on this and will provide an answer tomorrow at work, bc that is what work is for right?!

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Difficult for me to answer so I did not vote. Offense should be top 5 and I think defense at least middle, 15-17? If CB#2 is addressd, ILBs remain healthy and we can slow run game against us, defense can be at least top 10. Mario is the player that could tip this thing into stratosphere if he ends up as disruptive as Wade thinks. If the stars line up just right we could have a Super Bowl team. Pittsburgh remains the only team I see as a loss.

7. 80tothezone

80tothezone Hall of Fame

we top 32 till the season gets going....

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I dont see Pittsburgh beating the Texans at home .... I think the Ravens are a much tougher test on the road , a much better team than the Steelers for that matter.

The Texans have the games best reciever , a top 3 RB , a top 3 TE , an upper tier QB and the leagues best OL .... They were the most balanced team offensively in the NFL last season - You could argue they have the games best offense.

Defensively there is a lot of talent .... Its a matter of it coming together and the sum equaling its parts. They could be a top 5 defense ....

Talent wise , there is no single team I would point at and say "They are just better".

Edit: Teams I think are just as good as the Texans ? Baltimore , San Diego , Green Bay , New Orleans and Philly.

9. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Hall of Fame

We've got the best WR in the bidness. We've got a top 10-12 QB who, with a couple of good seasons, could catapult himself into the Elite range. We've got a RB that led the league in rushing last year and the OL that blocked for him.

We've got, I think, one of the elite TEs and easily the most under-rated. On top of that, I think with Casey, we might have another amazing weapon.

On the defense, we've got 2 Defensive Rookies of the Year and a #1 overall pick. One of our CBs is in the top 10 range. With Barwin, Reed, Braman, Sharpton, Watt, and Antonio Smith... we've got a talented front 7. We'll see about the rest of the back 3.

But for me, you take that all together... and I say top 10 talentwise.

So now the onus is on the coaches to translate that into a top 10 record.

10. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

Dang...I put bottom half.

Players who would start on MOST other teams:
    Offense
    Schaub
    Foster
    Andre
    Daniels

Defense:
    Joseph
    Demeco
    Cushing
    Mario

And...that's it. Four locks on each side of the ball (and I'd even call into question the two linebackers. They're coming off injury and there's a lot of talented linebackers out there).

I feel like the scheme of our offense as well as the absolute greatness of Andre and Arian make our offense much better than the talent that is there. The whole sum of the parts is greater than the parts individually thing.

Defensively...we have some potential talent. JJ Watt looks like he could be great, Reed looks nice, but would they START on MOST other teams? Dunno.

Maybe I'm being overly critical because I know I'm biased, but I'd say we're bottom half in talent terms. I think we'll overachieve though as far as actual W/L goes

thunderkyss likes this.
  11. 80tothezone

80tothezone Hall of Fame

I got to say a lot of our backups start on most teams in the nfl maybe not the packers but really who wouldn't start Tate? Tennessee? Who wouldn't start reed? Smith? Barwin? I mean after this yr is done I am thinking a lot of teams would. Several of out O linemn?? I meanthey blocked for the number 1 rusher last yr and one ofthe top passers for the last 3 yrs,.. The only starter we got on O that I think wouldn't start on most teams is JJ and maybe walter (I but I will say walter has some hands on him and is a solid route runner). On D probably could go with KJ wouldn't start and cody or mitchel other than that who wouldn't start on MOST teams? I also tend to think that with jojo to teach him and WP KJ is gonna be good this yr.

Also MOST teams have people in one position or another that would not start on most teams, it is a function of the salary cap and honestly because it keeps teams as even as possible I like it. You can't have 11 Mannings or Fosters or AJ's running around on each team, just not gonna happen. One thing I do hope that we do this year is use the talent we have more effectively. That is really who wins cause barring AF type guys making well under what they deserve the Cap keeps the market pretty even.

12. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Our straight up talent is amazing, I think. Top 10 for sure.

13. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

top 5. last year we were easily the most talented 6 win team. add jj, watt, reed,manning to the starting rotation and Barwin is back. we have a solid talent core. on paper we should be top 5. I'm worried a little about a lack of experience in the clutch, but that has nothing to do with talent

14. Rey

Rey Guest

What teams do you think have more talent than the texans?

15. Trail.Blazr

Trail.Blazr All Pro

One that won it twice!!!

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

First, let me say I study our team... and observe other teams, so I can't really say.

However, I'd have a hard time believing we're top five, even on offense.

Schaub, AJ, Daniels, Arian...... Tate(??) & that's it. Some teams have as much talent on their offensive lines alone.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  17. Trail.Blazr

Trail.Blazr All Pro

Top 10 was easy, based on our O. If not for a lot of questions at D and HC, I'd entertain 5, but wow... just get me a playoff spot before I start trying to knock down teams that aren't eligible to sit above my beloved Texans.

For sure, you'd have to put Atlanta, GB, Saints, Eagles, Chargers, Colts, Ravens, Steelers and Jets on a list of teams that I would want to debate may or may not be as good or better than the Texans talent wise. So in my mind, we are at worst a top 10 team. Now there may be a team or three that deserve mention as well for the sake of debate, but all the same, I've listed one or two that can be discredited with some argument as well. But to take that list and knock of 5 in 10 seconds or less is merely homer-speculation that would do nothing more than make me look the fool as the season plays out.

I'll settle for top 10 right now. Considering a 6-10 record to launch into a new season with High hopes of derailing the Colts from the AFC South based on the talent sitting on paper AND beat the teams we should as well as the teams we could... Ironically, I feel all too comfortable in that spot. I'm not saying it can't happen, or this is the year,,, but for the love of god.... Sheesh, get it done already :hurryup:

18. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

offense has top 10 talent, I don't think anyone would argue that. But, the defense and special teams are not top 10 by any means. For an over all team score, I voted average, although I do think they are probably above average, but certainly not top 10 over all.

19. drunkcookie

drunkcookie 2 drunk 2 cook

Obviously the offense is very talented, so they're up there somewhere....

When you look at the D, Mario is one of the most talented guys in the league, period (hand off the gun now, didn't say 'best)... Watt, Smith, Ryans, Cush, JJ, Manning etc... All very talented guys...

But to be honest with you, though I do pay attention to the other teams/rest of the league, I don't give them as much attention as I do to the Texans...

In order for me to put an honest rank out there, I'd need to put our 22+ guys up against the other 31's 22+ guys and see how they match up/average out etc...

I won't pretend to know, so no vote for me...

20. Rey

Rey Guest

Are you going off of production or talent?

Honestly, after reading tk's post about studying vs observing I'm a little less sure.

The talent is there though.