Stretching can be dangerous.............

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by CloakNNNdagger, Dec 10, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

...............if performed BEFORE warmup exercises instead of after.

I originally posted this in the Andre Johnson hammy injury: Early reports say "not serious" thread.

After speaking to Infrantrycak, I thought I needed to post this to clarify my concerns on the injury front.
    Stretching before exercise can lead to less flexibility, tighter muscles, and injury. Yes, stretching is important. However, it is only useful and necessary when performed after a work out or activity. Ask yourself, what is the purpose of a warm up? Simple right, to warm up our body and prepare our muscles for the action to come. Well, stretching does not warm up our muscles! And ironically, stretching cold muscles can cause rather than prevent an injury. When our muscles are cold, or in their natural state, they are rigid. This inflexibility makes them sensitive to any strains or changes in length, and therefore susceptible to over-extension. However, once our body temperature is up and blood flows to our muscles, they are ready to take advantage of the benefits of a relaxing, cool down stretch. Think of a raw piece of spaghetti; if you were to bend it, it would snap in half. But, once you “warm it up,” it will bend any way desired.

2. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

when I was younger and i played a lot of hockey I would never participate in stretches before a game and my coaches would be pissed... but i always said to them... randy moss doesnt stretch before games and look how good he is. so I'm not stretching either lol

3. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

This is something that gets drilled into most powerlifters and olympic lifters by their coaches. It's been something that has been in the weight training literature for at least 10 (maybe 20) years now. You only stretch a warm muscle and the best way to get the muscle warm is to do what you're going to do with light weights and then increase them.

I'd expect any decent S&C coach to know it and structure their warm-ups accordingly.

Lucky likes this.
  4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Very interesing article,

I know the Texans were very old school in regards to their workout regimines Rileys' S&C yrs.

Wonder if the new S&C regime look at articles like this and adjust their routines accordingly? It doesn't appear that the Texans do the light jogging routine before stretching atleast when they're on the field. I can imagine player taking upon themselves to do light jogging in the tunnel before stretching on the field.

If this is the case then according to the article Texans players are not only weaking their muscles by using an incorrect routine. The incorrect routine could be contributing to the rash of achilles/hamstring injuries that have seemed to plague the Texans this yr.

PS. thanks for the article, I will be warming up for atleast 5 mins before playing golf now.

5. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

Does this apply just to muscles? I ask because I just had surgery to repair my Achilles that I tore playing some light touch football, and my orthopedic surgeon said that he sees most of these injuries occur due to a lack of stretching before hard exercise. Then again, he could have said warming up and my brain assumed stretching.

6. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

A lot of people inadvertently use "stretching" and "warming up" synonymously when they shouldn't. And there are a lot of doctors that aren't aware of this research.

You need to warm up before you play sports. And you need to stretch as a regular part of your workout. Missing out on either one can lead to injury.

7. CloakNNNdagger

It is unlikely that they can get much of a warmup coming though the tunnel. And from what I have gathered, warmups prior to going through the tunnel are not typical.

8. CloakNNNdagger

The Pencil Neck's advice is sound.

Keep in mind ALL tendons are attached to MUSCLES. If the muscles aren't warmed up to be able to stretch properly, both the muscles and their corresponding tendons are at risk to tear. In you particular case, the gastrocnemius muscles (calf muscles) are the muscles that attach to the Achilles tendon. That's why anytime I see a "calf" listed on Injury Report, especially for a length of time (such as Bullman), I worry that actually something may be going on with the Achilles tendon.
    link

Fatigue, shortening/tightening all occur with inadequate warming up of the muscles.

9. CloakNNNdagger

Listen to this very short VIDEO CLIP to see what LARRY FITZGERALD has to say about the subject..

10. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

I've seen the Texans doing dynamic warmups before practice on news reports in the past. Most, if not all NFL teams, do dynamic warm up routines. This is not new info for the strength and conditioning community. The "don't stretch as a warm up" has been around for quite a while.

On a side note, I did martial arts as a HS student and this was when you did stretch to warm up. I actually pulled part of my hamstring tendon off the bone before a workout one day. Not good.

11. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Must spread rep .... geez. Been repping like crazy.

Great post, thanks.

12. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

Tony Horton approves this thread.

13. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I never liked the idea of stretching BEFORE you workout or BEFORE a game. Seems like you're just preparing muscles to get pulled! :splits:

I kind of think the time to stretch is before you go to bed....uh, sleep...

14. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

Think of your muscles as a stick of chewing gum, take it out of the wrapper, grab both ends and pull - it tears!

Put it in your mouth and chew for a while and it becomes flexible, this is how I think of your muscles and warming up. You need dynamic, movement oriented stretches to properly loosen up and prevent injuries.

Static stretching is best done after training to re-lengthen tight/fatigued muscles. I'll also add once you achieve a good range of motion, spend more time on tight areas (typically ankles (calf and soleus), hip flexors, and pecs) and less time on areas with proper ROM.

15. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Great info, CND! Must spread rep.