Straight up disrespect...

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Dread-Head, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

Apparently the Houston Texans are an afterthought to the national sports media. Many sports casters act as if any team playing the Texans is garaunteed a win and as if each Texan victory is either a fluke or proof that the other team simply wasn't doing their job. Andre Johnson gets his due, but the rest of the men on the team receive little regard. The Texans have their best record in franchise history, but the national media is treating them like a bastard step son at a family reunion. When will the Texans get some respect?

2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Probably once we have a winning season or make the playoffs.

If the Browns were 5-3 this year, no one would care either.

We were the sleeper pick for the playoffs by many in the media, thats plenty of attention for me

3. texanmojo

texanmojo Shotgun 30 Time

Who cares? I would rather no one know about us and take us for granted. Makes the wins that much easier.

Respect is earned...and up until now, we haven't earned it. Don't worry, we will get our respect.

4. toronto

toronto Hall of Fame

Don't expect the respect after beating the Bills. Don't be fooled by their 3-5 record. They are terrible, and their coach has NO business being in the NFL. This sums Juaron up to me. Yesterday, it's 24-10 with 8 minutes left. On first down, they run a 3 yard off tackle run, then a draw play for 4 yards, neither in a no-huddle. Yeah, he sure coaches players on a sense of urgency and a desire to win the game.

Beat the Colts on Sunday and believe me, the bandwagon will officially form.

5. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Dread, you should be way use to it by now. Lest I remind you of the Rockets and SI. Do I need to mention that OJ's slow speed chase was more important than the Rockets Finals game? :kingkong:

6. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

Doesn't bother me much either... It doesn't effect the way I live and teams I root for. The writers, or tv personalities can say whatever they want, why would it bother me that they disrespect our teams.. Now if it was a family member, yeah, but local teams... they can have their thoughts !

7. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

The Rockets had to win a second consecutive title to tell S.I. and the national to shut the vugg up. I recall.

8. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I've actually seen them get some positive coverage

But for a network to be gaga about the Texans it will have to be about beating a top team and making a run towards the playoffs. The 49ers and Bills don't excite anyone. To people here they are good wins because all wins are good. To the national media they are games they should win or games that don't have an excitement factor. The Colts game should change that.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009

9. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

NBC Football Night in America really ticked me off yesterday. They showed every play the Bills made (like 4 or 5 plays) and then just showed one play the Texans made (the first Moats TD). You would have thought the Bills won the game. All they talked about was the Bills and they didn't even show the Cushing interception or the Jacoby return which were the 2 best plays of the game.

I can't stand the east coast bias and when it extends to crap cities like Buffalo, it really sets me off.

10. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

The bolded part, pure and simple. Until we do, there's no point in complaining about it.

11. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

yeah, the playcalling was pathetic by Jauron and his staff. way too conservative even with a Harvard QB

12. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

maybe it's because they have fans of a 5-3 team with one win over a winning opponent who think they deserve a ton of respect?

i'm kidding, but come on, what respect do you deserve, really? besides, the media picked Houston as the annual Underdog Darlings To Make the Playoffs this preseason. there's 32 teams in the NFL, it's tough to spread the love evenly, especially when you have Favre-mania going on the same weekend.

if you beat the Colts, you'll be 6-3 and and have taken down a 7-0 team on the road. THEN you'll start getting talk as "one of the best teams in the NFL." but a win over the Bills never inspires much hype or press.

13. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

oh yeah, NBC has a HUGE bias for Buffalo. wtf?

14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Dude, wtf are you watching that show for? Especially when there wasn't even a game afterwards. That show puts the uck in suck.

15. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Yeah, they did it with the Saints game two years ago. We killed them, they showed their highlights, and then the score. Remember when the Rockets blew out the Trail Blazers yast year. They showed all their shots, like 10 of them, then said "The Rockets win by 20"

16. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

If you listen to Sirius NFL Radio, which is the best channel on radio bar none, they give the Texans ton of respect. Randy Cross, Pat Kirwin are always giving the Texans their Due. But then again, for the most part, they have intelligent hosts and callers on the channel.

17. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I think it's obvious as to what he was eluding to.

SH......... This ^^^! Don't watch that garbage. Watch NFLN.

18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Heck, I think I'd rather watch Dancing with the Stars.....:hmmm:......eh, you get my point.

19. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

yes, when he says the "east coast bias" is extended to Buffalo, he's saying they have a bias for Buffalo. or against Houston for whatever reason.

networks care about money. they don't care about sectioning off large markets for a silly bias reason. i don't know what plays were and weren't shown, but the Bills/Texans is not a marquee game by any means, so they're not going to really break the game down, so i'm guessing they showed the Byrd interceptions and the Terrell Owens touchdown, both bigger "stories" to a national audience than Ryan Moats.

there's plenty of reason to criticize that awful show, but they're not "biased" against Houston.

20. Grams

Grams Subscribed Contributor

No. We probably will only hear how poorly the Colts played and that they lost the game. Just like after we beat the Bengals. Not how we played to win but how badly they played to lose.