Stop the Babin at MLB Madness

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by bdiddy, Mar 15, 2006.

1. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Jason Babin will NOT play MLB. The guy was horrible in space as an outside LB. He struggled in traffic and was not effective in deflecting blockers. He has below average speed for an LB and VERY weak lateral hip movement. Simply put he is not built to be an MLB.

Allow him to play DE and I think there is a chance he can become an effective player (may be not first round quality, but adequate).

2. outofhnd

outofhnd All Pro

Hey I put him at MLB on Madden 06 and he rocks!:dangit:

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

horrible outside in space then how about inside in space :)

if he struggled in traffic, deflecting defenders how does he excell as a DE :rolleyes:

maybe we can take back the pick :brickwall

no I got a better :idea: let him compete @ MLB

4. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

He wieghs almost 260. I think he would be terrible in Coverage. He would be a passrushing runstuffing type MLB and I dont think that is what we are looking for.

5. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Struggling in traffic has nothing to do with being a DE. Struggling in traffic means he does not shed blockers well, he is too easily contained with one man. JOB 1 of a MLB is to quickly shed blockers to get to the ball.

If he does not have good feet in space due to his lack of lateral quickness and stiff hips, this does not translate well to any linebacker position, including MLB. Babin has good straight away, inline speed for a DE (his natural position), so let him play what he is best suited to play.

Why don't we move TJ to OLB. He is strong, we have a lot of people at DT, just let him compete. Does this make any sense? No, neither does playing Babin at MLB. Babin may be able to play OLB, he is in NO WAY suited for MLB.

6. 2 CENTS

2 CENTS Rookie

He is "terrible in space". That is EXACTLY why I think he would be better suited for MLB. Defensive End is OK also Just HATE to see a PLAYER we DRAFTED in the FIRST ROUND GO to waste. I read an article about Babin & PEEK competeing for DE or even splitting TIME at DE which is OK with me. If you could get both of them on the feild at the same time I think it would be even better since we now have WEAVER entrenched at the other DE position. By usung BABIN it would mean we wouldn't need to DRAFT a LB. If we did DRAFT a LB HOPE it would be CARPENTER in the 2nd ROUND but then where do we get OL Line help (with our 2 3rd rounders) plus that would screw us out of MANGOLD in the second.
    2 CENTS

7. outofhnd

outofhnd All Pro

TJ at OLB are you kidding? Thats just crazy...

Now Seth Payne as our #2 corner... talk about a shutdown corner and he has the uncanny ability to squat on every route.

8. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

Great explanation on Babin. I really don't know what this team is going to do with Babin. I personally think he was a bad choice. Now that they have to make him a 4-3 down lineman, he's going to have to put on wieght. If he was not effective in a 3-point stance, how effective will he be trying to gain leverage from the stance! Way to go again Charley C!:ok:

9. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

That is the point I was making. So is the idea of Babin at MLB.

10. outofhnd

outofhnd All Pro

Actually it may help him get a better explosion off the line because he can get low.. Where when he was standing up and rushing I felt he was going to high. And the OT was then able to get his hands inside of him. He was pushing the lineman but because he was vertical they could just redirect him. I think if he can get low it will also add some deception as to what route he is taking to the QB... It may actually work for us. Holland our LB coach has already said he would like to have Peek at LB so I feel he may be our weak side OLB.

11. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I wish everyone would stop the madness about Babin not being able to play the 4-3 DE or that Babin needs to gain weight to play DE. Babin played DE in college and was a beast. Babin is listed as 6'2'' 259, compare that to Kearse at 6'4'' 265, Abraham at 6'4'' 258, Suggs at 6'3'' 260, KGB at 6'4'' 250, and Simeone Rice at 6'5'' 268. Could someone please tell me why so many here think Babin has to gain weight to play DE? Babin is actually listed as being 10 pounds heavier than Peek, so why does no one say anything about Peek having to gain weight to play DE?

12. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

I agree that he can play DE at his current weight, but it probably would not hurt him to gain 10lbs. or so. His senior year in college he played at 282. He dropped down to 256 because it would improve his stock as an OLB in the 3-4 scheme.

13. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

the guys mentioned to be the same or smaller size than Babin are FLAT OUT EXPLOSIVE! Babin is slower than what he was advertised, and if you cant get past them, you better push the line with size and strength. The Texans thought they could make him an outside pass rushing 3-4 LB like Kevin Greene in Pittsburgh and Carolina, but Capers forgot.....Kevin Greene was a monster!:yahoo:

Runner likes this.
  14. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

YOUR going to HAVE TO stop THAT please SON. Thank YOU.

swtbound07 likes this.
  15. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Umm ... because people confuse criticism with critical thinking?

16. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

I say it all the time. I think Peek needs to walk. Babin should start over him IMO. But everyone else just loves Peek.

17. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

Everyone that was mentioned in that last post is highly explosive off the ball and have gone to a pro bowl for being such. There is no way we can compare Babin to any of those guys. As for the school he played at in college to obtain his monster numbers. Let him try those numbers in the Big 12, Big 10, ACC, SEC, or PAC-10!!! Man what conference is Western Michigan in anyway!:brickwall

18. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

This has some good reasoning. I'm not sure I agree; Babin's quickness off the ball may improve from the DE position. However, kudos because it is based on something more than an idea of what a DE should look like.

19. 12Gage

12Gage Rookie

And they traded a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th for Babin. got damn

20. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

We have no idea how explosive Babin would be off of the ball coming out of the 3 point stance from the DE position. So you cannot say if Babin will or will not be explosive coming off the ball as a DE.