Stink & Golic breakdown Eagles film on Mario (on NFL Live)

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GP, Sep 15, 2006.

1. GP

GP Go Texans!

Stink and Golic both say the Houston coaching staff is doing Mario no favors by making him a "Jack of all trades, and a Master of none." They want to see Mario stay at one position, as do many of us here on this board.

They both agree that he's a speed rusher being placed in unnatural positions and situations that hamper his productivity (biggest gripe is seeing him further inside the line).

Showed game film of Eagles where Mario is "giving o linemen his chest" instead of doing something to get the linemen's shoulders turned or off balance. They said he's playing right into linemen's plans bu giving up too much of his chest on the snap, and that it's how he is getting stood up and then doubled very quickly (and so easily).

Also said he had only one real counter-move in college, and that he'll need to learn more really soon.

Showed Eagles film of o linemen beating Mario off the snap and able to punch or stab Mario in the chest and therefore close the gap, not allowing Mario to gain separation or make a move upfield.

They were very respectful of the Texans, and of Mario, but they both agree that Mario is not fully to blame for his initial lack of production.

Was a good segment on NFL Live.

2. Snapple

Snapple Veteran

That's probably one of the more fair and unbiased evaluations of his performance I've heard.

Hey, he obviously is athletic. He just needs to work on his technique.

3. RiotCommander

RiotCommander All Pro

I think that I have been very fair about everything Kubiak has done. This is the only one that really has been getting to me. I think at least Mario should be left at DE until he learns it. If you want to move him around after that then have at it.

4. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Let us know if this bit of video is accessable online at some point, would be cool to see it myself :)

5. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I agree with their take 110% and thanks for sharing.

6. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Were any of the HoF great DEs moved around during their rookie years? I'd be interested to see the history of these players and how they were developed.

I heard an interview earlier this week on the radio where Mario said he'd prefer to play one position all game. Being a pretty reserved dude in interviews, I was a little surprised at his bluntness. He did not sound too happy about the constant change, but I'm sure he'll do whatever he's told to do.

I'm just not all that sold on Richard Smith, to be honest. I don't want to see another first overall pick stunted in growth because of improper coaching techniques.

7. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Freeney said that Mario should play one position, and Mario told reporters that he agreed, that it would be nice to focus on just one positoin.

There has been no other player with Mario's athleticism, not to my recollection. Therefore, I think that the coaches are pushing him and trying him at various positions to show him that his college moves are now useless and must adjust to playing with various different linemen. He has to learn how to get in the head of his opponent and how to properly use his speed and strength all the while developing techniques.

8. K.D.

K.D. Veteran

I totally agree with leaving him at one position but our DT'S have to step THEIR game up too. I think Kubiak would leave him at DE, if he was really comfortable with our DT's. He will continue to move around until we get that STUD at DT who can penetrate and let Mario do his thang.This will be a conversation piece all year long until we get that DT, via free agency or draft.

9. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

I certaly understand the gripe about all the change, and want Mario to suceed, but you can also see the temptation to move him around. Getting Peek and Babin on the field along with Mario and TJ sounds great, in theory at least. Hopefully we will find a happy medium between what is best for the team and what is best for Mario (which hopefully will be the same thing).

Not sure any of that made any sense...oh well

10. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

the staff just needs to leave mario at de, and let him bum rush the qb. he doesn't have the mass (as in size, b=gut) like regular dts do. just let him rush the qb like he's supposed to from the de position. gonna screw this kid up. good take by mike and mike.

11. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Put me squarely in the leave him at DE camp. Let him master that spot (hopefully) then start teaching that dog some new tricks. You don't get a puppy and expect it to be in the circus the first week right? First, you teach it to sit until it has mastered it. Then you move to the next trick. So far, the only thing he seems to have mastered is the roll over and play dead trick.

12. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

Is this another mishandling of another #1 pick in the draft?

Maybe from an overall defensive team perspective it is better to move Mario around? We won't know unless they let Mario loose at DE and see what happens.

However, managing the Williams vs. Bush discussion is also important. The more they keep this up, probably the more he will struggle (particularly from stat a perpsective), and then there will be more of this discussion that the Texans made the wrong selection at the #1 pick.

In my opinion, I think they are asking too much of him. Stick him at DE and give him certain responsbilities, then cut the man loose to create some havoc. It just seems a little crazy to move the guy around because other guys can't fit in the system and carry their own weight. Which seems to be the reason they are moving him around.

13. phantom17

phantom17 All Pro

I think this is a very good observation! They just have to let Mario master one position at a time! Free Mario!!!!:homer: :fireball: !

14. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

well here's another thing i was thinkin' of...you keep throwing him around on all the dl positions, are the texans going to wear down even faster? rookies have a hard enough time playing 16 games compared to the 12 or 13 the played for 4 years in college. i just don't want to see him be a speed bump out there.

15. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

if anything this falls on our Dline coach.. with Kubiak taking a bit of blame for not stepping in and doing something.

But there might be a method to the madness, so im not gonna get my panties in a twist after just one game.

16. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Does anyone else find it disconcerting that they cut Robaire Smith, and now are so short at DT they have to move Mario there? I don't like it one bit

17. underdog65

underdog65 Veteran

:ok: Leave Mario in one position. I believe that once he masters DE then he will be able to adapt to DT at a later date. Give him a chance to show everyone that he wasn't a bust.

18. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

huh? Sorry I wasnt aware that cutting Robaire meant we were playing Mario at DT..due to "lack of depth". We were playing Mario at DT while Robaire was still on the roster.

19. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

They played a clip of Kubiak's discussion regarding Smith's cut on Texans Huddle.

Kubiak said it was a function of two things:

1. Seth Payne playing well
    2. Robaire playing under an expensive contract

I guess Kubiak is trying to make due while managing the salary cap.

I liked his answer, it seemed very straightforward.

20. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

It may be that Kubiak WANTS to leave him at one position, but WHAT position? He may be trying to figure out WHERE he should be... dunno.. speculating :)