Stewart once again a Texan

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by beerlover, Feb 15, 2008.

1. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I'd rather see us take Mendenhall and let the Cowpokes get Stewart...but if we roll into next season with either of these guys I'll be looking forward to watching them play in Steel Blue. I think both have starting NFL rb written all over them.

3. beerlover

Stewart is the consummate team player, coachable, bright & very supportive of his linemen. he is one to never let stardom interfer with his personality & likes his role to equal not surpass his teammates. having said that I would only be mildly upset if the Texans passed on him because they need secondary help. there is a good chance both Stewart & Mendenhall are available if thats the case it means there has been a run on CB's & tackles. That would also suggest the bpa on the board would be a RB. In this case even a tree hugging NW'sterner U of O alum would have to side with Mendenhall. he is a star in the making & well worth the 18th overall selection.

4. beerlover

double checked Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com Senior Writer 1st version of his 08 Mock Draft, counted three cb's taken & four tackles before the Texans 18th pick. regardless of order or rankings this seems a fair projection :specnatz:

5. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

I would take either guy Mendenhall or Stewart but I prefer Mendenhall but over there careers stewart has been more productive.

6. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

There could be a few reasons for that though.

Stewart plays in the Pac 10, which for the most part, plays very poor defense.

Illinois has sucked recently, until this year, meaning that the RBs didnt run as much because Illinois was always losing.

I'm sure there are others.

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

One of which is that Mendenhall wasn't a starter until last season. The Saints' Pierre Thomas was the starting RB for the Illini in '06.

8. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

And Mendenhall still managed 640 yds & 5 TDs on 8.2 yds per carry last year.

For their careers, Mendenhall averaged 6.5 YPC & Stewart 5.6

9. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Smells of Tony Hollings to me. I'm sure the o-line will be just fine.

10. bigbrewster2000

bigbrewster2000 4th Infantry

Why do you say that? Hollings only started in 4 games in colege. Not even close to the same thing.
    l

11. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Yep, totally the same thing, cause Hollings had a big breakout junior sea- oh wait.

12. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

I'd love to get either one of them, although I'm starting to lean more towards Mendenhall. In any event, we most likely won't be able to trade down & still get one of them. Which makes it even more imperative that we sign a starting CB in free agency. That way, we can pick up some OL help in the 3rd.

By the way, it's been reported that Travelle Wharton has agreed to re-sign with Carolina. Thus, removing him from free agency consideration.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Panthers | Wharton's contract worth $36 million
    Fri, 15 Feb 2008 18:10:16 -0800

The NFL Network reports Carolina Panthers OT Travelle Wharton signed a six-year contract worth $36 million.

13. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead