Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Stewart Mandel Has Gone Crazy

So here's Stewart Mandel's "Top 16 National Championship Contenders" for the 2006 NCAA football season.

First thing that comes to mind: This guy gets paid to do this?

He has Utah and South Carolina on this list, but not LSU or Texas.

This is just straight up ridiculous. Utah will NEVER win a National Championship.

Just read this stupidness HERE

Your right the guy is an idiot. My 10 year old cousin could make a better list. Well maybe not but you get the point.

If y'all read what it said at the end of the article it states why those schools were chosen and not others. They used a list of certain criteria (Link) to chose each team, if they didn't meet the criteria, they were dropped from the list and placed on another list (Link). Not saying I agree at all, just trying to describe how that list was made.

SportsIllustrated.com said:
Two years ago, SI.com identified the common traits of national championship teams from the past decade. Those same criteria were used in identifying the 16 contenders featured in our "Into the Great Wide Open" feature. Suffice it to say, if you don't see one of the popular preseason favorites on the list, it's because it was missing one or more of those crucial elements.

SportsIllustrated.com said:
we evaluated every team that finished 7-5 or better last season. From that list we identified 16 "contenders" (which are linked above) that, at least on paper, possess many of the right ingredients -- a veteran quarterback, experienced offensive and defensive lines, proven playmakers, a favorable schedule -- to put together a championship run, provided some other key areas fall into place...You'll notice the absence of several seemingly highly regarded teams that may very well have fantastic seasons. It's just that those teams are missing that certain something to make the ultimate run.

Utah has made runs in the past and meet the criteria they established.

UT has an unproven Frosh QB to lead the team. They also lost some key players on Offense and Defense. They do not have Young. Now top 25 - sure they could be there at the end of the season, but the schedule is so brutal that they would need to only lose 1 game and be out.

Utah plays in arguably the toughest non-BCS conf, with the toughest opponent being a respectable (#9 BCS in 2005) TCU team. If they go undefeated, there is a strong chance they have a shot at the MNC!

MikeMc said:

UT has an unproven Frosh QB to lead the team. They also lost some key players on Offense and Defense. They do not have Young. Now top 25 - sure they could be there at the end of the season, but the schedule is so brutal that they would need to only lose 1 game and be out.

Utah plays in arguably the toughest non-BCS conf, with the toughest opponent being a respectable (#9 BCS in 2005) TCU team. If they go undefeated, there is a strong chance they have a shot at the MNC!

Even Utahs toughest non-BCS conf is not great at all compared to the SEC, PAC 10, Big 12. And that was two years ago with TCU they are just good at best now.

From this list, FSU vs. ND seems like my best guess at this moment. My sleeper pick is West Virginia though, I really like that team and what they can do.

YoungTexanFan said:
From this list, FSU vs. ND seems like my best guess at this moment. My sleeper pick is West Virginia though, I really like that team and what they can do.

I too like West Virgina and what all they can do but i dont know if a team thats ranked in the top 10 is a sleeper.

Hutch13 said:
I too like West Virgina and what all they can do but i dont know if a team thats ranked in the top 10 is a sleeper.

They didn't start there. When was the last time anyone mentioned them as a top contender for this year? I call them a sleeper. You're not going to get a team like Rice who isn't ranked to contend.

MikeMc said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this:

If a team is NOT in one of the following conferences, it will NEVER win a BCS title:

Big 10
Big 12
SEC
ACC
Big East
Pac-10
Independent (Notre Dame)

And that's a fact. Write that down and keep it in a safe place. It's NOT HAPPENING.

Titan "Tack" Fan said:

If a team is NOT in one of the following conferences, it will NEVER win a BCS title:

Big 10
Big 12
SEC
ACC
Big East
Pac-10

And that's a fact. Write that down and keep it in a safe place. It's NOT HAPPENING.

Notre Dame

YoungTexanFan said:
They didn't start there. When was the last time anyone mentioned them as a top contender for this year? I call them a sleeper. You're not going to get a team like Rice who isn't ranked to contend.

A lot of people has mentioned them as one of the front runners to win it all. A sleeper is a team like tcu in 2005.

West Virginia has all the right ingredients, but put any of those teams on that list (except Utah) in the Big East and they'd go undefeated.

I'm an LSU fan so I will use them as an example. Put LSU in the Big East and give them WVA's schedule. It'd be a joke......

Titan "Tack" Fan said:

Big 10
Big 12
SEC
ACC
Big East
Pac-10
Independent (Notre Dame)

Agreed as long as there is a BCS. In the 1980s BYU was the National Champion, but I don't know if that will ever happen again.

Titan "Tack" Fan said:
West Virginia has all the right ingredients, but put any of those teams on that list (except Utah) in the Big East and they'd go undefeated.

I'm an LSU fan so I will use them as an example. Put LSU in the Big East and give them WVA's schedule. It'd be a joke......

Yes, LSU would dominate it like MIAMI use to.

Back