Steve Slaton's Fumbleitis....

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansFight, Oct 18, 2009.

1. TexansFight

TexansFight All Pro

is driving my crazy. What the hell is going on here. If you are going to put the ball on the carpet that many times, you should not see the field. We need to draft a STUD RB in the first round if we can't get Berry or Mays as safety.

2. Kimmy

Kimmy RealGirls LvFB!

I agree -- Maybe OD needs to give him a talk. Few years back OD couldn't hang on to anything!

They have GOT to get SS under control with that ....

3. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

Daniels fumbles too. He's just been lucky. His fumbles have been out of bounds.

It is a concern but I feel like the staff is handcuffed by his ability. For every bad read or fumble he makes, you see him make a little move here or key block there and you have to keep putting him in there. I think they're loosing their trust in him in key situations though.

4. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

One of the reasons I have been pimping out Toby Gerhart from Stanford...

He does not fumble, and always seems to get positive yardage.

5. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Fumbling has cost us in the past.......and will cost us in the future, if not corrected. The problem is that this may be part of his pedigree, as illustrated by his college experience.

6. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

they should go beanie wells on him this week and make him carry a football everywhere he goes and offer someone $1,000 if they can strip him.

7. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech, 5-11/235 (junior).

I've been beating the drum for a franchise running back since the first draft in 2002.

It's time.

8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

I'd like to see Moats in there. SS is dancing in the backfield instead of the one cut and go that our scheme requires. And I'm sick of Slaton being good for two freaking fumbles a game.

9. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

I'd at least like to see him spell him because he seems to respond to it positively.

10. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

Steve Slaton is a franchise back. You can get less production from the spot if you want to. Didn't steve put up like 175 yards today? But yeah...hell yeah lets replace him! He fumbles too much!

And Schaub! Screw his 400 yards, he threw a pick. lets draft a qb in the first round. Lets ignore our crappy secondary and replace a position we don't need to replace

11. jppaul

jppaul Cut and Dry

Slaton made a lot of really good plays, one of the things I have noticed since he added weight is how many more tackles he breaks, unfortunately he suffers from the same malady as a lot of tackle breakers, he tends to fumble.

Peterson is a great example of the risks of fighting for extra yardage, which is the same thing that caused Slaton's fumble today.

12. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Slaton only had 19 carries for 43 yds rushing (2.2 yds/carry). His other 102 yds came from 6 passing plays.

13. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Would you be this forgiving if, like last week, Schaub's pick was the winning score for the other team? Or, like Chris Brown's fumble, it cost us a chance to win?

just askin'....

14. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

Slaton is a good back, but not a great back. Ideally, he would be the #2 back behind someone who is truly a franchise quality back. In fact, the RB position is still arguably the weakest position on the Texans roster.

I usually am opposed to suggestions that the Texans spend a first round pick on a RB, but considering the strength of personnel at most other positions, this next draft might finally be the year. Then Slaton can come off the bench to provide a very strong second option.

15. Kimmy

Kimmy RealGirls LvFB!

Oooooo .... I LIKE!!!!!!!!

16. RagingBull

RagingBull Hall of Shame

I would still rather have an elite cornerback or safety, but there is no doubt that we need a top round RB.

17. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Do you actually examine the circumstances at all? Just curious. Putting aside Slaton for a moment, OD "fumbled" twice that should have been overturned and in any event on doing exactly what he does best, going over the middle and then taking a big hit, the ball ended up on the carpet. You can't expect people to catch in between the hashes and take big hits without fumblimg.

Would you like to trade Slaton and OD both?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  18. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

So he is like Reggie Bush
    :D
    j/k

TheIronDuke likes this.
  19. GP

GP Go Texans!

I agree.

Seems to need rest. Seems to fumble after he's been used a lot. Not sure if it plays out this way, but wondering if most of his fumbles come later in the game as opposed to earlier in the game.

20. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I'd like to see Moats get more playing time. Brown ran well today but I was surprised to see him get the carries between the 20s instead of Moats after Slaton put the ball on the ground.