Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Steve Slaton to benefit from new NFL rule, per John Clayton

This might cut down on his fumbles. I expect him to consider just cocking the helmet way back on his head before the snap.

Who likes the new rules or feels they take away value from football?

It's not nearly as bad of a rule as a few of the others they introduced (I'm looking at you 10 second runoff after a booth review).

From the story on owner's meeting and rule changes:

link to full story

Stupid. Fit him properly and ensure he's fully strapped in or start fining him. Too many players leave the top part of the chinstrap unbuttoned. I'm not saying this is Slaton's issue. I don't know. Maybe his helmet doesn't fit well. I just know he loses his helmet too stupid fricking lousy much.

I'm tired of it. Reckless. Fix it. Don't stop the football game!!

This could also HURT the Texans if Slaton is still churning out yards, in a crowd of tacklers, and his helmet comes off.

The refs are going to blow the play dead. No more positive yardage can be made, and they might even have to review to spot the ball...or the ref will throw the bean bag to spot it, which we all know is soooo accurate.

Steve has to stop fumbling, AND keep his helmet on.

Uphill battle for the guy, I'm afraid.

I just worry the game is slowly being watered down but by the same token human lifes should be protected. Football won't ever be 100 percent safe just safer. What gives?

Who likes the new rules or feels they take away value from football?

Dont like this new rule.

I also dont like the rule that when a WR catches the ball you cant knock the crap out of him. The WR has to make a football move before the DB can hit him.

This new rule is a big reason why I wouldn't draft Mayes.

This is just anther step in ruining the game. IMHO

The college game is more pure than the (Rules) watered down version that the NFL is producing. IMHO

Dont like this new rule.

I also dont like the rule that when a WR catches the ball you cant knock the crap out of him. The WR has to make a football move before the DB can hit him.

The college game is more pure than the (Rules) watered down version that the NFL is producing. IMHO
I'll be honest with you the new rules are really giving me a bad rub. I do not know how to keep the players safe except for better uni's and better shape. Having doctors on sight is another good idea. How do fully stop injuries without changing the game forever? Sadly, you do not.

I'll be honest with you the new rules are really giving me a bad rub. I do not know how to keep the players safe except for better uni's and better shape. Having doctors on sight is another good idea. How do fully stop injuries without changing the game forever? Sadly, you do not.

The only way to keep players SAFE is to NOT play the game!! Just like anything else we do in life, we know the risks when we take it on. This is all ridiculous!! They are ruining the game, pure and simple!! The new rule on the WR hit really pisses me off!! Might as well just give him 6 points!! grrrrrrrrr!!!

The only way to keep players SAFE is to NOT play the game!! Just like anything else we do in life, we know the risks when we take it on. This is all ridiculous!! They are ruining the game, pure and simple!! The new rule on the WR hit really pisses me off!! Might as well just give him 6 points!! grrrrrrrrr!!!
Its a large reason why sports players are paid millions because of the one play and done thing. Its very sad but also the truth. I say man up and play the stupid game like players used to years ago. I have even heard of players playing with broken limbs back in the day simply because they did not get paid nearly as much as the players are paid today and contracts were not a sure thing back then now that is football my friends.

We all speak of great LBs, CBs and safeties having great INSTINCTS in getting to the ball and the WRs........and knocking the #H*% out of the receivers. Well now we will be speaking of the great instincts of holding back and watching the receivers cuddle their balls before they can be torn away from their bodies. My, this could end up making football a nasty game, couldn't it?:chef:

Dont like this new rule.

This rule already exists in college.

Actually, Riddell helmets are made with double snaps to maintain security and ease of placement and removal. These can and must be properly adjusted. However, there is a reason why they are snaps and not easily removable lockable fasteners. They are made to pop off under extreme conditions.

Furthermore, until the past decade, helmets were cushioned with leather, foam rubber and suspension strap systems. Today, the helmets use a more complicated multiple air filled ballast system within that must be maintained at very specific inflation points. If these are not properly filled to correct fit, it doesn’t matter how tight or how many chin straps are applied. The helmet will fly off.

And, of course, if the helmet itself is not of basic proper size, the attention to all other factors are of mute importance.

Bottom line, it is the player that must be vigilante in maintaining all elements of his helmet’s fit.

Here's a Riddell video explaining some of fine points of Revolution helmet fitting.

This rule already exists in college.

Really

Link

It must not be enforced then.

The TE from Oregon St. that Mays blew up there wasn't a pentalty called on that play.

That would be a pealty in the NFL under the new rule.

Bottom line they are trying to legislate violent hit out of the game.

I enjoy hard hitting football. Oh well

actually the new rule for umpire position is gonna hurt our whole line. With the umpire unable to see the defensive line there is gonna be alot more holding and our ZBS will be less effective.

So the new ump position is most likely gonna hurt our run game

actually the new rule for umpire position is gonna hurt our whole line. With the umpire unable to see the defensive line there is gonna be alot more holding and our ZBS will be less effective.

So the new ump position is most likely gonna hurt our run game

Unfortunately you are correct.

Really

Link

It must not be enforced then.

The TE from Oregon St. that Mays blew up there wasn't a pentalty called on that play.

That would be a pealty in the NFL under the new rule.

Bottom line they are trying to legislate violent hit out of the game.

I enjoy hard hitting football. Oh well

He was referring to the helmet rule and the play being dead.

I just remember that how tight your helmet is has a lot to do with how much your head gets concussed when you get hit. I think having it on looser might make some of the impacts less harsh, maybe even less likely to give a concussion. I think having a tight helmet contributed to the headaches I started to get around my junior year playing.

I just worry the game is slowly being watered down but by the same token human lifes should be protected. Football won't ever be 100 percent safe just safer. What gives?

Dont like this new rule.

The game is so much faster now I think they have to water it down to keep up with how much more dangerous it gets every year. I've been predicting for some time that it's only a matter of time before someone actually dies right there on the field. The collisions are so much more severe than anything anyone who has played in another league (or even in this league just a few years ago) can compare to. Player speed and strength is at an all time high and it's completely realistic for them to continually try to improve the safety of the game. It's a big, big business the NFL. And these are peoples lives at the end of the day. It's not like the 70's when you could kind of celebrate the violence. Bunch of big guys running around "really fast" and hitting each other after doing shots of whiskey at halftime and smoking cigarettes.

These guys are like bullets. I think the game is more amazing now from a pure athleticism standpoint than it was then. Go back and watch #80 make that catch against the tacks. Thats pure ballet except this ballerina can also knock the piss out of a LB, a CB and a S and get into the endzone against AZ.

The game is so much faster now I think they have to water it down to keep up with how much more dangerous it gets every year. I've been predicting for some time that it's only a matter of time before someone actually dies right there on the field. The collisions are so much more severe than anything anyone who has played in another league (or even in this league just a few years ago) can compare to. Player speed and strength is at an all time high and it's completely realistic for them to continually try to improve the safety of the game. It's a big, big business the NFL. And these are peoples lives at the end of the day. It's not like the 70's when you could kind of celebrate the violence. Bunch of big guys running around "really fast" and hitting each other after doing shots of whiskey at halftime and smoking cigarettes.

These guys are like bullets. I think the game is more amazing now from a pure athleticism standpoint than it was then. Go back and watch #80 make that catch against the tacks. Thats pure ballet except this ballerina can also knock the piss out of a LB, a CB and a S and get into the endzone against AZ.
Then I am sorry but by your standards they might as well not play the game or just take the pads off JMO.

Geeez... how soon before we breakout the flags and have the D-line count to three before they rush?? The QBs are pretty much already there.

Geeez... how soon before we breakout the flags and have the D-line count to three before they rush?? The QBs are pretty much already there.
All I know is if the sport gets watered down too much I ain't going to be watch it anymore just saying.

Dont like this new rule.

I thought the WR has already had the option of playing it safe.

Simple choice: Catch ball, get hit, get paid millions. Watch ball go by, duck or fall to the ground, get paid thousands.

Then I am sorry but by your standards they might as well not play the game or just take the pads off JMO.

Why? Because I can understand the league's perspective? I love the violence as much as the next guy. It's perfectly understandable to think that they are concerned about people getting seriously, SERIOUSLY hurt. Have you seen any of these guys who's brains are mush? I completely understand the whole "it's their choice / they make tons of money" thing but they are playing a game and nobody needs to die.

All I know is if the sport gets watered down too much I ain't going to be watch it anymore just saying.

I'd be willing to bet every penny I own that you're being dramatic. I'm sure some melodramatic fools said the same thing when the players started wearing those silly facemasks.

Why? Because I can understand the league's perspective? I love the violence as much as the next guy. It's perfectly understandable to think that they are concerned about people getting seriously, SERIOUSLY hurt. Have you seen any of these guys who's brains are mush? I completely understand the whole "it's their choice / they make tons of money" thing but they are playing a game and nobody needs to die.

I'd be willing to bet every penny I own that you're being dramatic. I'm sure some melodramatic fools said the same thing when the players started wearing those silly facemasks.
I understand no one needs to die but if the tackle is hard enough they are going to feel it with or without their helmets. All I am saying is the danger is there with each and every tackle, right?

Barrett: People have been using your arguements for years. Since I started watching football in the early 70's anyway and guess what nobody has gotten killed.

This started when Gene Washington became the guy who started dolling out fines for rough play. Guess what position Washington played in the NFL? WR

Barrett: People have been using your arguements for years. Since I started watching football in the early 70's anyway and guess what nobody has gotten killed.

This started when Gene Washington became the guy who started dolling out fines for rough play. Guess what position Washington played in the NFL? WR
I just do not see it you get knocked the hell out on just about every play in football. On kickoff returns you're still going to get licked. If the NFL would like to fully protect their butt from a lawsuite they should probably just ban tackling altogether.

I understand no one needs to die but if the tackle is hard enough they are going to feel it with or without their helmets. All I am saying is the danger is there with each and every tackle, right?

A helmet to unprotected head collision is not even debatable. Head injuries are ALWAYS going to be more dangerous. The brain houses the central nervous system. It all starts there and with the heart. Hearts have shown to handle collisions better than brains.

And those arguments are certainly more valid today than they were in the early 70's. Would you disagree that the players are faster and stronger now than they were in the early 70's?

I just do not see it you get knocked the hell out on just about every play in football. On kickoff returns you're still going to get licked. If the NFL would like to fully protect their butt from a lawsuite they should probably just ban tackling altogether.

I doubt it is about lawsuits. The NFL is pretty protected. (Hell, they have the Supreme Court on their side)

I think they have taken a proactive approach for many years and it's coincides with the speed and strength of the game getting more dangerous.

As I stated before, I enjoy the violence as much as anyone. It's one of the great things about this game but I can understand the need to protect the players playing in a game.

A helmet to unprotected head collision is not even debatable. Head injuries are ALWAYS going to be more dangerous. The brain houses the central nervous system. It all starts there and with the heart. Hearts have shown to handle collisions better than brains.

And those arguments are certainly more valid today than they were in the early 70's. Would you disagree that the players are faster and stronger now than they were in the early 70's?

I doubt it is about lawsuits. The NFL is pretty protected. (Hell, they have the Supreme Court on their side)

I think they have taken a proactive approach for many years and it's coincides with the speed and strength of the game getting more dangerous.

As I stated before, I enjoy the violence as much as anyone. It's one of the great things about this game but I can understand the need to protect the players playing in a game.
Here is the bottom line this rule just lessons the chance of head injury but it does not fully take it out of the question I'll give you that but I don't think the NFL should be as protected as they are JMO.

You see it as a game. I see it as a job. I face dangers that NFL players could never fathom thinking about. We're all paid to do our jobs risks nonwithstanding. No different from a fireman, police officer, day laborer, or NFL player.

They're watering the game down for no good reason more often than not. Improve the equipment if you want but quit adding to the rules. Walter Camp would turn over in his grave if he could see today's rule book. It's a novel. I paid to see some smashmouth football. I want my money's worth.

Maybe firefighters should be banned from walking into a buring home or office because they might burn to death.

Here is the bottom line this rule just lessons the chance of head injury but it does not fully take it out of the question I'll give you that but I don't think the NFL should be as protected as they are JMO.

Then what specific rule changes do you suggest? People whine about turning the game into flag football and yet when I sit there on Sunday folks are getting the piss knocked out of them. So what is too far and hurting the physicality of football?

Maybe firefighters should be banned from walking into a buring home or office because they might burn to death.

Dude, c'mon. Not even close to analogous.

Then what specific rule changes do you suggest? People whine about turning the game into flag football and yet when I sit there on Sunday folks are getting the piss knocked out of them. So what is too far and hurting the physicality of football?

Dude, c'mon. Not even close to analogous.
How about better gear and no rule changes?

You see it as a game. I see it as a job. I face dangers that NFL players could never fathom thinking about. We're all paid to do our jobs risks nonwithstanding. No different from a fireman, police officer, day laborer, or NFL player.

They're watering the game down for no good reason more often than not. Improve the equipment if you want but quit adding to the rules. Walter Camp would turn over in his grave if he could see today's rule book. It's a novel. I paid to see some smashmouth football. I want my money's worth.

And at your job Nitro do they not have safety precautions? Do they not use safer methods than 40 years ago in, well, just about every job on the planet?

I have a friend who is a fireman and guess what, they do have safety precautions when the risk is too great. It's still a risk. Sometimes you think it's safe enough and it's not and you get hurt. But they take precautions. They have rules that may be less fun for you to watch but keep them alive to play firefighter another day.

How about better gear and no rule changes?
Good point. Lets just use invisible force fields for everyone and end this silly debate. Nitro, will that work for your job?

Back