Steve Slaton to benefit from new NFL rule, per John Clayton

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GP, Mar 27, 2010.

1. GP

GP Go Texans!

From the story on owner's meeting and rule changes:

link to full story

2. GP

GP Go Texans!

This might cut down on his fumbles. I expect him to consider just cocking the helmet way back on his head before the snap.

3. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Who likes the new rules or feels they take away value from football?

4. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

It's not nearly as bad of a rule as a few of the others they introduced (I'm looking at you 10 second runoff after a booth review).

5. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Stupid. Fit him properly and ensure he's fully strapped in or start fining him. Too many players leave the top part of the chinstrap unbuttoned. I'm not saying this is Slaton's issue. I don't know. Maybe his helmet doesn't fit well. I just know he loses his helmet too stupid fricking lousy much.

I'm tired of it. Reckless. Fix it. Don't stop the football game!!

6. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

7. GP

GP Go Texans!

This could also HURT the Texans if Slaton is still churning out yards, in a crowd of tacklers, and his helmet comes off.

The refs are going to blow the play dead. No more positive yardage can be made, and they might even have to review to spot the ball...or the ref will throw the bean bag to spot it, which we all know is soooo accurate.

Steve has to stop fumbling, AND keep his helmet on.

Uphill battle for the guy, I'm afraid.

8. GP

GP Go Texans!

9. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I just worry the game is slowly being watered down but by the same token human lifes should be protected. Football won't ever be 100 percent safe just safer. What gives?

10. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

no I think you are fine.. it evolved from nfl to slaton LOL

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Dont like this new rule.

I also dont like the rule that when a WR catches the ball you cant knock the crap out of him. The WR has to make a football move before the DB can hit him.

This new rule is a big reason why I wouldn't draft Mayes.

This is just anther step in ruining the game. IMHO

The college game is more pure than the (Rules) watered down version that the NFL is producing. IMHO

12. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I'll be honest with you the new rules are really giving me a bad rub. I do not know how to keep the players safe except for better uni's and better shape. Having doctors on sight is another good idea. How do fully stop injuries without changing the game forever? Sadly, you do not.

13. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

The only way to keep players SAFE is to NOT play the game!! Just like anything else we do in life, we know the risks when we take it on. This is all ridiculous!! They are ruining the game, pure and simple!! The new rule on the WR hit really pisses me off!! Might as well just give him 6 points!! grrrrrrrrr!!!

14. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Its a large reason why sports players are paid millions because of the one play and done thing. Its very sad but also the truth. I say man up and play the stupid game like players used to years ago. I have even heard of players playing with broken limbs back in the day simply because they did not get paid nearly as much as the players are paid today and contracts were not a sure thing back then now that is football my friends.

15. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

We all speak of great LBs, CBs and safeties having great INSTINCTS in getting to the ball and the WRs........and knocking the #H*% out of the receivers. Well now we will be speaking of the great instincts of holding back and watching the receivers cuddle their balls before they can be torn away from their bodies. My, this could end up making football a nasty game, couldn't it?:chef:

16. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I'll slowly begin to feel like I am watching a pee wee league football game.

17. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

This rule already exists in college.

18. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Actually, Riddell helmets are made with double snaps to maintain security and ease of placement and removal. These can and must be properly adjusted. However, there is a reason why they are snaps and not easily removable lockable fasteners. They are made to pop off under extreme conditions.

Furthermore, until the past decade, helmets were cushioned with leather, foam rubber and suspension strap systems. Today, the helmets use a more complicated multiple air filled ballast system within that must be maintained at very specific inflation points. If these are not properly filled to correct fit, it doesn’t matter how tight or how many chin straps are applied. The helmet will fly off.

And, of course, if the helmet itself is not of basic proper size, the attention to all other factors are of mute importance.

Bottom line, it is the player that must be vigilante in maintaining all elements of his helmet’s fit.

Here's a Riddell video explaining some of fine points of Revolution helmet fitting.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Really

Link

It must not be enforced then.

The TE from Oregon St. that Mays blew up there wasn't a pentalty called on that play.

That would be a pealty in the NFL under the new rule.

Bottom line they are trying to legislate violent hit out of the game.

I enjoy hard hitting football. Oh well

20. ChrisG

ChrisG Road Fan

actually the new rule for umpire position is gonna hurt our whole line. With the umpire unable to see the defensive line there is gonna be alot more holding and our ZBS will be less effective.

So the new ump position is most likely gonna hurt our run game