Steve Slaton as Kick Returner??

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by El Tejano, Aug 24, 2010.

1. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

He's done well. Even going back to his rookie season he did real well. It's just that I don't feel comfortable with this dude returning kicks when he can't hang on to the ball.

I could just see him going into that pile that everyone always wonders why kicker returners go directly to, getting hit, and coughing up the rock.

2. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I get chills, and not good ones, reading this. I don't want Slaton returning kicks until he gets his problem fixed.

But, if he could hang onto the ball, I think he'd make a good returner.

3. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Me too. Anyone think this could actually help him??

4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

No. If he gets his fumbling problem fixed, he's too important to the offense.

5. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I don't think he's going to have enough carries this year to be as important as he was supposed to be in 2009 or he actually was in 2008. If he can return kicks without having his head separated from his body then I don't see why he should be automatically precluded from those duties.

Right now, Arian Foster is the most important RB, and if Slaton makes contributions busting punts and kick-offs he should probably be allowed. I don't see Steve taking Arian's job away, Arian would have to fumble that away himself.

6. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner

:goodpost:

7. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

He returned a couple in the Saints game, and I had to close my eyes!! I was waiting for the roar of the fans to tell me he had coughed up the ball! He and JJ still scare the hell out of me!!

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Slaton did pretty well returning kicks in the sAints game .... I watched them multiple times and he covered up the ball with both hands when in traffic .....

He may have his problem solved and that play on the goal line may just have been a fluke - take a look at those plays in particular and see for yourself , maybe Im just crazy.

9. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I actually think his fumble in the Zona game was a fluke thing.

10. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

He won't normally be used like that at the goal line anyway. He was just running with the 2's.

11. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

That and it looked like an awkward/unexpected hit.

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I'd prefer looking for a returner off the waiver wire and letting Slaton & Jacoby Jones concentrate on offense. Their explosiveness could be the difference in turning the offense from good to truly elite.

13. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Sherrick McMannis and Andre` Davis would probably get tries before we relegate ourselves to finding a guy like that right before the season starts.

14. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

And J. Johnson could be in the mix.

15. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

There are always solid returners who don't make the final cut. I don't think Davis has it any longer, and I'm not McManis has ever had it.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Don't forget Jeremiah Johnson. He may make the team as a returner.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Normally I'd agree with that but in the case of Slaton , it lets him do what he does best and any time he gets the ball in the open field , one mistake and he can make a team pay.

With how Foster and to some extent Johnson have performed thus far in the pre-season , Im not sure Slaton is more than a 3rd down back for this team.
    To me , Slaton hasnt looked as good as either of those guy's running the ball. His biggest value is on plays in space .... if returning kick offs gives him more touches under those conditions , Im fine with it.

As for JJ , I'd like to see him at WR full time rather than returning punts.

18. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

:facepalm:

It's the goal line, you are going to get players SLICING through the defense and all kind of akward hits are going to happy.. COVER UP THE BALL, there is NO excuse for this.. why do people make excuses for fumbles is beyond me. About the only time a valid fumble occurs for me is when the helmet is placed on the ball and squirts out from a collision like a rocket.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Im by no means making excuses for Slaton - Just pointing out what I saw on those KR's - He covered the ball with both hands , something I couldnt see on the goal line play ....

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Foster still hasn't shown to be a play maker on the order that Steve Slaton has. Even through his fumbling, he was a dynamic part of this offense. Even as a third down, change of pace back, he is more valuable to the team than someone you would want "exposed" to kick & punt returns.

If you want to get him in open space, you can pitch the ball to him, throw him screens, or run a few draws. But I think he's still explosive enough to be very successful in the ZBS, and he's fast enough to get to and turn the corner.