Steve McNair HOF?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by infantrycak, Jul 8, 2009.

1. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Link

I'm kind of with the first commenter after the article, just don't picture McNair when I think HOF QB although I disagree it would cheapen the HOF for him to get in. I think Florio overstates the importance of the rushing yards which McNair mainly gained early on when he wasn't as good a QB. His death should not affect whether he gets in but very well may.

2. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Agreed on all of your points. I consider Steve one of the toughest QB's to play the game, but that coupled with his successes on the field, don't add up to him being a HOFer. If there was a hall for runner-ups, he would be in there.

3. Koolaid Time

Koolaid Time Drink Up!

If they let Michael Irvin in the HOF, then "off field conduct" doesn't matter.

4. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

No. The best comparison I heard the other day was Kenny Stabler. He isn't in and could run and he actually has one ring and an AP Player of the Year for 1974. Not only that but the guy was monumental in big games during his time period. I don't want to be cruel but I agree with the cheapening. Not because McNair wasn't a fine QB, tough as nails, etc. But because the Football HOF puts in a minimum amount of guys EVERY year, unlike baseball. You think HOF you think of the all time greats. I just don't think that when I see McNair.

5. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

If he had gotten that 1 extra yard in the super bowl against the rams, it would be much easier to consider him. Without the ring, i don't think he gets in.

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I don't think he needs a ring to get in but I don't consider him a HOF player. I consider Ken Stabler a HOF player and I donno how you can put in McNair and not Ken Stabler. I also think that Ken Anderson is a far better QB than McNair was (I'm a pretty big McNair fan too). I've seen both Ken Anderson play live as well as Steve McNair and if McNair goes in, then Anderson and Stabler should both go in with him....but that ain't gonna happen. Nothing against Air McNair since he was a hell of a QB...but not a HOF'er to me.

7. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Who says Stabler will not eventually get in?

I think McNair is a strong candidate for the HOF, not so much for his stats, but for the way he competed on the field.

I don't think the lack of a Super Bowl ring should factor into the decision. Although I am delighted he never won a ring with that pos organization.

8. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

They let Warren Moon in! No need to elaborate!:stirpot:

9. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Funny, but what you say is true. McNair has broken some of his records (emotions aside). If you remember, Moon had some awesome numbers that I never thought would be broken.

Another thing that people don't bring up and I'm kind of glad because it doesn't matter what race a QB is but Steve Mcnair was the 2nd black QB to play in the Super Bowl. How many years went by between Doug Williams and Steve Mcnair? When Mcnair went in, Mcnabb followed quickly. Now, any doubt that was still left after Williams was eliminated when Mcnair played in the Super Bowl.

On a side note, there were some times when I would see Mcnair going off and think to myself : Houston would've loved this guy.

10. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
  11. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

nope..not close actually imo & warren moon was a beast in the canadian league. If u combine his stats from there with his stats in the NFL he'd arguably be the greatest Qb ever

12. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

People seem to forget that the 1 extra yard would have only tied the game, that is if the extra point was good. It wasn't like the Titans were 1 yard short of victory. They were one yard short and an OT win short of victory.

13. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I'm on the fence....only three QBs have over 30,000 passing yards + 3,500 running yards...regardless of when/where he got them, it's still impressive.

But, since Terrell Davis is not being considered in spite of his accomplisments, I can't put McNair in there, either.

14. Mari-OWNED!

Mari-OWNED! Bucco Bruce

McNair may eventually get in the HOF, but it will probably be when we are all really old men, and when we see it we will reminisce while our kids ask us about him.

That's how I see it if he ever gets into the HOF.

15. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Very true. Lots of QB's lost a Super Bowl. Chris Chandler lost a Super Bowl.

McNair: 13 years in the league, threw for 31,304 yards, 174 TD's and 119 picks. 3 Pro Bowls and one shared MVP.

Chandler: 17 years, threw for 28,484 yards, 170 TD's and 94 picks. 2 Pro Bowls.

Chandler comes up almost right behind him there. If you let McNair in with his numbers how many other QB's with very close* numbers begin to look like they have a case? I don't have anything at all against Steve McNair (other than some pent up resentment over his beating the snot out of us for most of our existence) but I do subscribe to the theory that his election to the HOF could "cheapen" the honor because while the fact that he sported enormous heart is a HOF type quality the rest of the factors that I think matter are not quite there.

I don't say a word if they vote him in though. I just put a little asterisk next to his name in my mind and go on about my business. The thing is that IF he hadn't been killed would he be getting the same consideration? I think he'd be a very Terrell Davis type of choice with lots of debate (different points of debate but the same split opinions) and would fall short. I think he falls short.

*kind of close... people making a case will spin them the way they want

16. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

I don't think HOF, but I could see him getting his number retired.

17. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think he's as certain to get his number retired and be the next member of the Titans "Ring of Honor" thingy as anyone possibly could be and that's fitting. His playing career in Nashville merits this. I just don't think he's a HOF QB.

Finally they'll be voting a Titan in for a change so that's nice.

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Nope

When people talk about him they will talk about his toughness and leadership but at the end of the conversation they will say if you cheat on your spouse you could end up like Steve McNair.

19. GP

GP Go Texans!

I don't think he makes it to the HOF.

Retired number? Probably a long, long time...but it will happen.

20. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow Work'n da grill

He was put into the Titans ring of honor at the MNF Colts game.