Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Steel B's Post Sr. Bowl Mock

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
1-23 Chop Robinson Edge Penn St. Fastest DE in the draft. Great 1st step.S.

2-59 Nate Watson LB Mississippi St. SEC player of the yr. Can cover and play the run. 10 1.2 sacks says he can rush the passer too. Leader who's all over the field. Got a DWI before last season, hopefully he's Texans worthy.

3-85 Max Melton CB Rutgers, fast, really good cover guy. I wanted Caserio to draft his brother last yr, who ended up in Green Bay as a WR.

4. Brandon Coleman- OT TCU, Big tough agile dude that can move his feet. Takes over at RT. He didn't surprise me with how well he performed at the Sr. Bowl today. Road grader that they ran behind a lot today.

4. Ricky Pearsall WR Florida. He and McConkey are the 2 best route runners in this draft class. Great hands and is very good at high pointing the ball.

7. Zach Heins TE South Dakota St. Huge dude 6'6 264. Good blocker and really good hands, avg speed, great RZ target. This will really help the run game.

7.Carson Steele RB LSU. Big punishing RB at 6'0 228 lbs, Has really good hands too.

7. Joshua Karty K Stanford.

FA signings
Chris Jones- 5 yrs 150 mil, 100 guaranteed

Jermey Chinn 3 yrs 21 mil, 10 mil guaranteed

Clyde Edwards- Helaire and Jerrick McKinnon 1 year each 3 mil for CEH and 2 mil for McKinnon total of 5 mil.

Re-sign Cashman 3 yrs 18 mil, 9 guaranteed., Resign Davis and Tart on the cheap vet min deals. Barnett 3 yrs 12 mil 6 guaranteed. Carson- Houston, King/Hewitt Jones etc... vet min.

Gotta cut

Offense

QB's Stroud/Mills/Vet min
RB's CEH/McKinnon/Pierce/Steele
FB/H-Back's Jordan/Hairston
WR's Collins/Dell/Pearsall/Metchie/Hutcheson/Sims
TE's Schultz/Quintano/Heins/Saubert
OT's Tunsil/Howard/Coleman/Jones
OG's Green/Green/Mason/Scruggs/Patterson/Broeker
OC's Patterson/Scruggs/Green

Defense

DE's WA/Robinson/Barnett/Sanders/Horton
DT's Jones/Collins/Tart/Davis/Hinish
LB's Cashman/Harris/Watson/Too Too/Hewitt/Hanson
CB's Stingley/Melton/King/Holloman/Ross/Boyd
S Ward/Chinn/Petrie/Carson-Houston/Stewart/Arnold

That's a pretty good roster.

Thoughts?

2-59 Nate Watson LB Mississippi St. SEC player of the yr. Can cover and play the run. 10 1.2 sacks says he can rush the passer too. Leader who's all over the field. Got a DWI before last season, hopefully he's Texans worthy.

3-85 Max Melton CB Rutgers, fast, really good cover guy. I wanted Caserio to draft his brother last yr, who ended up in Green Bay as a WR.

4. Brandon Coleman- OT TCU, Big tough agile dude that can move his feet. Takes over at RT. He didn't surprise me with how well he performed at the Sr. Bowl today. Road grader that they ran behind a lot today.

4. Ricky Pearsall WR Florida. He and McConkey are the 2 best route runners in this draft class. Great hands and is very good at high pointing the ball.

7. Zach Heins TE South Dakota St. Huge dude 6'6 264. Good blocker and really good hands, avg speed, great RZ target. This will really help the run game.

7.Carson Steele RB LSU. Big punishing RB at 6'0 228 lbs, Has really good hands too.

FA signings

Clyde Edwards- Helaire and Jerrick McKinnon 1 year each 3 mil for CEH and 2 mil for McKinnon total of 5 mil.

Re-sign Cashman 3 yrs 18 mil, 9 guaranteed., Resign Davis and Tart on the cheap vet min deals. Barnett 3 yrs 12 mil 6 guaranteed. Carson- Houston, King/Hewitt Jones etc... vet min.

Gotta cut

Offense

Defense

Thoughts?

Good attempt post senior bowl. My concern is where are the playmakers for Stroud? Particularly at RB. The committee approach works for KC, but you do that here and I expect we’ll be disappointed. That goes beyond the scope of the mock draft so I wont go too far into your FA additions.

Watson looked good this week at senior bowl and has production to back it up. Similar game/physical profile to B Mac (from same school as well!) Mock draft database has him as the 205 ranked prospect. Like you, I don’t see why they have him that low.

I have been reading how shallow this draft class is due to NIL. The juniors that used to come out are just transferring to bigger schools to boost their stock. I don’t see anyone picked on day 3 being a serious candidate to contribute to next year’s roster. They will have a hard enough time making the team.

Did Chop play in the senior bowl? Darius is the one that impressed me in the practices. Wilson and McCaffery are the WR's that caught my eye. Not impressed with Coleman

Did Chop play in the senior bowl? Darius is the one that impressed me in the practices. Wilson and McCaffery are the WR's that caught my eye. Not impressed with Coleman

I read Darius Robinson get compared to Cam Jordan. I like that comp. I expect him to go round 1. If Greenard leaves, he would be my target at 23. Would be a guy you can move all over the line to create matchup issues.

FA signings

Gotta cut

Offense

Defense

Thoughts?
Good job and well thought out.
Personally, I would seriously think about drafting a mid round QB to bring along. I don't think CK will be here for long - some other team may offer a trade for him or he just retires. I like him and think he could have been a contributor to CJs success so bringing in a young dude to learn the ropes would be optimal.
One of those 4ths for Jordan Travis out of FL. St. could reap dividends as a backup to push Mills or trade him if we keep CK.
Travis has nice mechanics and poise in the pocket and 20/2 TD/int ratio last season.

Sorry… but I’d be severely disappointed if that was the result. No help for CJ in that haul. The biggest thing this team needs to do this off-season is to add big time weapons for CJ. Adding a mid round rookie at WR and a couple of journeymen RB’s is meh at best. If Nick follows your advice, he’s going to be roasted like a marshmallow on the Aggie bonfire, and deservedly so. You have a legit franchise QB on his rookie deal, and your answer is adding a couple of scratch and dent cans of beans on the discount shelf? Ummm nope.

Sorry… but I’d be severely disappointed if that was the result. No help for CJ in that haul. The biggest thing this team needs to do this off-season is to add big time weapons for CJ. Adding a mid round rookie at WR and a couple of journeymen RB’s is meh at best. If Nick follows your advice, he’s going to be roasted like a marshmallow on the Aggie bonfire, and deservedly so. You have a legit franchise QB on his rookie deal, and your answer is adding a couple of scratch and dent cans of beans on the discount shelf? Ummm nope.
Pearsall is the best route runner in this class except maybe McConkey. The exact type wr that marries up well with Stroud. But hey, take out Melton and put in a RB of your choice and tell me how you like the mock.

CEH, McKinnon are good enough to win SBs with Mahomes. They should be able to do the same with Stroud. Steele is very underrated.

Last edited:
CEH, McKinnon are good enough to win SBs with Mahomes. They should be able to do the same with Stroud. Steele is very underrated.

They were backups on that SB team. They should be backups here. Not difference makers. Heck, i’d even say a downgrade from Singletary.

You’re banking on Chop being a direct replacement for Greenard as a rookie and Jones being all world to get the team over the hump. I don’t like those odds.

I used to be on this train and still would like to add McCaffrey, however after watching Kupp and Nacua tear it up, I'm getting on board with a great route runner with really good speed/hands over a straight up speed guy. Coleman played RT in the game yesterday and was dominant. They ran behind him with success most of the day. He was solid in pass pro too. He really impressed me. He was just so so in practices. Darrius impressed me too.

Very surprising mock from someone always preaching add weapons in the draft and defense in free agency

I consider Pearsall to be a weapon. I also like Ainias Smith a lot in this spot.

Part of my mock was realizing what Ryans said about improving the front 7 on defense.

So Steel are you taking Chop first because you expect him to be the BPA on our Board or do you think Edge is a bigger need than corner, a receiver, an interior Dlineman, or an OT ?
Chop is a very rare athlete in the fact that he's got an elite 1st step and knows how to use counter moves as a pass rusher. He's also probably going to run a 4.5 or just under that. Kinda Parsons lite, He's got the ability to be a stud pass rusher/difference maker. After watching him and his movement skills I kind doubt he will be there at 1-23.
They were backups on that SB team. They should be backups here. Not difference makers. Heck, i’d even say a downgrade from Singletary.

You’re banking on Chop being a direct replacement for Greenard as a rookie and Jones being all world to get the team over the hump. I don’t like those odds.

Nope, I'm starting Chop off as a situational pass rusher, unless he proves he can do more. Barnett (Who I'd re-sign) would split time with Chop. Yes Jones is a top 3 DL in the NFL IMHO.

Everybody wants a RB something terrible, this means either having to spend big in FA ,(Barkley) medium, (Pollard) draft 3-85, (Irving type) or cheap CEH/McKinnon/Late rd guy. I also like Laube a lot, that guy has talent to be a difference maker. Fast, big 5'9 210 lbs. Runs hard and has great hands. Dont know how he is in pass pro, but he didn't look overwhelmed in the Sr. Bowl practices or the game. Going cheap on RB allows Caserio to sign impact FA's like Jones and Chinn. Would you rather add a guy like Pollard and not be able to sign Chinn in FA? There's certainly a case to be made for Pollard> Chinn.

I used to be on this train and still would like to add McCaffrey, however after watching Kupp and Nacua tear it up, I'm getting on board with a great route runner with really good speed/hands over a straight up speed guy. Coleman played RT in the game yesterday and was dominant. They ran behind him with success most of the day. He was solid in pass pro too. He really impressed me. He was just so so in practices. Darrius impressed me too.

I consider Pearsall to be a weapon. I also like Ainias Smith a lot in this spot.

Part of my mock was realizing what Ryans said about improving the front 7 on defense.

Ryans also stressed making major improvement in the run game was a priority, and your plan does nothing to help the run game. Those guys are not difference makers. And playing with Mahomes is a unique. Adding JAGs isn’t an answer. We need playmakers and speed around CJ.

Ryans also stressed making major improvement in the run game was a priority, and your plan does nothing to help the run game. Those guys are not difference makers. And playing with Mahomes is a unique. Adding JAGs isn’t an answer. We need playmakers and speed around CJ.
I think giving Stroud Pearsall and Heins (Who's a very good blocker) and adding CEH/McKinnon who both have played well in a RB committee would be the way to go. It's what they did in San Fran before McCaffery. There's no McCaffrey in this draft. You could draft a guy like Bucky Irving if you're willing to give up Melton. Or you could sign a guy like Pollard/Ekeler and lose out on Chinn. What do you think they should do? I'm definitely not on board with paying Barkley 30 mil over 3 yrs because this will cost you a guy like Chris Jones.

If Coleman plays like he did at the Sr. Bowl he's an upgrade. His run blocking was outstanding and his pass blocking was solid. Coleman an Heins will really help in the run game.

Chop is a very rare athlete in the fact that he's got an elite 1st step and knows how to use counter moves as a pass rusher. He's also probably going to run a 4.5 or just under that. Kinda Parsons lite, He's got the ability to be a stud pass rusher/difference maker. After watching him and his movement skills I kind doubt he will be there at 1-23.

Nope, I'm starting Chop off as a situational pass rusher, unless he proves he can do more. Barnett (Who I'd re-sign) would split time with Chop. Yes Jones is a top 3 DL in the NFL IMHO.

Everybody wants a RB something terrible, this means either having to spend big in FA ,(Barkley) medium, (Pollard) draft 3-85, (Irving type) or cheap CEH/McKinnon/Late rd guy. I also like Laube a lot, that guy has talent to be a difference maker. Fast, big 5'9 210 lbs. Runs hard and has great hands. Dont know how he is in pass pro, but he didn't look overwhelmed in the Sr. Bowl practices or the game. Going cheap on RB allows Caserio to sign impact FA's like Jones and Chinn. Would you rather add a guy like Pollard and not be able to sign Chinn in FA? There's certainly a case to be made for Pollard> Chinn.
Chinn is not even in the top 5 of safeties I would target if I went that way. Much rather Ekeler/Pollard to Chinn. I want Jones but also think Hunter would be a nice get. Other than Singletary, what FA the Texans have signed has done anything. McKinnon is too old and CEH is a JAG

Chinn is not even in the top 5 of safeties I would target if I went that way. Much rather Ekeler/Pollard to Chinn. I want Jones but also think Hunter would be a nice get. Other than Singletary, what FA the Texans have signed has done anything. McKinnon is too old and CEH is a JAG
Chinn is really good player and should be in Caserio's price range. McKinnon is still making plays as the 3rd down RB. There's a reason the Chiefs designated him for return from the IR for the SB. I'm not against bringing Singletary back as long as the price is right. Signing CEH/McKinnon saves the money to be able to re-sign guys like Cashman/Schultz etc...

What kind of RB are you looking for in FA, where you probably can get Ekeler for 5 mil or so and re-sign Singletary for 3.5 mil. You also could probably bring in Pollard for 6-8 mil per yr.

You also could bring back Nelson on a deal for 6-8 mil and draft a guy like Irving at 3-85. Which way would you fill the RB position?

I would do 30/3 to Barkley in a heartbeat. A high level RB will do way way more to effect the win column than a DT, even a very talented one. And Barkley is younger as well. If I am Nick, I spend the entire off-season focusing most on adding weapons on offense, whether by FA, draft, or even trade.
I'm signing Chris Jones, he affects games more than Barkley. Pollard and Ekeler can do the same things Barkley does at about 1/2 the price. You could still add Jones if you signed Ekeler or Pollard. But it would cost you Chinn.

You would go into next season with a S room of Petrie/Ward/Houston- Carson/Stewart. Are you willing to go with this crew if it means getting one of Barkley/Pollard/Ekeler.

Chinn is really good player and should be in Caserio's price range. McKinnon is still making plays as the 3rd down RB. There's a reason the Chiefs designated him for return from the IR for the SB. I'm not against bringing Singletary back as long as the price is right. Signing CEH/McKinnon saves the money to be able to re-sign guys like Cashman/Schultz etc...

What kind of RB are you looking for in FA, where you probably can get Ekeler for 5 mil or so and re-sign Singletary for 3.5 mil. You also could probably bring in Pollard for 6-8 mil per yr.

You also could bring back Nelson on a deal for 6-8 mil and draft a guy like Irving at 3-85. Which way would you fill the RB position?
Why are you so high on Chinn? He's not close to one of the top FA safeties

Why are you so high on Chinn? He's not close to one of the top FA safeties
He was before he got hurt this year. He can cover TE's or play in the box. I don't know how good he is at Single high. A sure tackler which is something the safety position has been missing for a while. Petrie playing well would solve a lot that's wrong with the S position.

He was before he got hurt this year. He can cover TE's or play in the box. I don't know how good he is at Single high. A sure tackler which is something the safety position has been missing for a while. Petrie playing well would solve a lot that's wrong with the S position.
I just don't get Pitre's regression - doesn't make sense.

If Texans sign Chris Jones that would affect my mock greatly. Puts WR into play rounds 1 & 2. Otherwise, I'm loading up with young, fresh playmakers on DL to compliment Greenard and Anderson.
I would use Greenard's money to help get Jones and start Barnett plus draft Chop or Robinson. I know they're different types of players.

Then draft a guy like Watson/Wilson or Gray in the 2nd and have the type of front 7 DeMeco said he wants. Would you sign Chinn if it kept you from signing Pollard or Ekeler. There's certainly a case to be made for signing a RB in FA and re-signing Motor.

Different systems require different skillsets is all I can think of.

Petrie also struggled with tackling his rookie yr.
Same can be said for Dameon Pierce. Know Caserio still likes both players, might have to be more patient and let pot simmer awhile longer.

Reactions: JB
Same can be said for Dameon Pierce. Know Caserio still likes both players, might have to be more patient and let pot simmer awhile longer.
Looking more and more like sunk cost.

I've still got hope for Petrie because of his play on the ball as a rookie. I'm thinking tackling will always be somewhat of an issue for him.

Pierce doesn't fit this scheme, but Pierce said he was going to spend this offseason trying to learn this scheme and how he can be more efective in said scheme. Kudos for him realizing he's the problem and trying to fix his issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
Looking more and more like sunk cost.

I've still got hop for Petrie because of his play on the ball as a rookie. I'm thinking tackling will always be somewhat of an issue for him.

Pierce doesn't fit this scheme, but Pierce said he was going to spend this offseason trying to learn this scheme and how he can be more efective in said scheme. Kudos for him realizing he's the problem and trying to fix his issues.
Pierce is a tremendous young man. It’s painful to watch him go through this, but never doubt his determination. At minimum he’s a depth piece who should also return kickoffs.

I'd trade Pierce to a team running a power-blocking scheme where he can be the bull through a china shop. DP is like the kid banging all the pots and pans in the kitchen and making noise but never making music. He's got no idea what he is doing out there and often runs into the back of blockers, misses cutback lanes, and looks for contact instead of avoiding it. In short - he's not a fit in this scheme, so why try to fit the round peg into the square hole? It isn't very sensible. Move him - and get something back for him.

I'd trade Pierce to a team running a power-blocking scheme where he can be the bull through a china shop. DP is like the kid banging all the pots and pans in the kitchen and making noise but never making music. He's got no idea what he is doing out there and often runs into the back of blockers, misses cutback lanes, and looks for contact instead of avoiding it. In short - he's not a fit in this scheme, so why try to fit the round peg into the square hole? It isn't very sensible. Move him - and get something back for him.
Your last sentence will probably be the hang up. I would guess other GMs would just wait expectantly for him to be cut.

Your last sentence will probably be the hang up. I would guess other GMs would just wait expectantly for him to be cut.

Possibly...but there's no guarantee he'll be cut. He might be better next year and actually make the team. Also, if he's cut, he goes through the waiver process. If you're talking about giving up a day three pick, I think a GM that looks at DP's rookie campaign and says - we have a fit here and believe we can get that type of production out of him in this scheme, it's a no-brainer to give up a 5th or something in that range to be sure you get him.

Possibly...but there's no guarantee he'll be cut. He might be better next year and actually make the team. Also, if he's cut, he goes through the waiver process. If you're talking about giving up a day three pick, I think a GM that looks at DP's rookie campaign and says - we have a fit here and believe we can get that type of production out of him in this scheme, it's a no-brainer to give up a 5th or something in that range to be sure you get him.
compensation picks never enter my mind for Texans as in my scenario, we're going to sign several significant free agents eliminating any future thirds or other round. I think there are several backs that can be had in day 3 that would equal Pierce's productivity projection.
I do not think he will be cut by Houston as savings would be insignificant. Please, please let him bring a round four or five in a trade.

compensation picks never enter my mind for Texans as in my scenario, we're going to sign several significant free agents eliminating any future thirds or other round. I think there are several backs that can be had in day 3 that would equal Pierce's productivity projection.
I do not think he will be cut by Houston as savings would be insignificant. Please, please let him bring a round four or five in a trade.
Very doubtful he gets you a rd 4-5 pick. Maybe something like Pierce and a couple of 7ths for a 5th.

Your mock is good SteelB, but I have to agree with that you’re not paying enough attention to the WR room. I bet I can count how many times that Nico and Tank were both on the field last season on one hand. For all intents and purposes, those were the only two wideouts that could get open. They need at two more who can push the safeties back, or least can separate.

Yeah, I know what DeMeco said, but if I’m CJ, I’m pounding on the table.

You're forgetting about free agency. You can't fill all of the Texans roster needs with 8 draft picks.
Agreed, but if he falls to 1-23 you won't find another wr in FA that's as good as Thomas. With this said, if Newton or Mitchell falls to 1-23 then I'm picking one them

Agreed, but if he falls to 1-23 you won't find another wr in FA that's as good as Thomas.
If Thomas is as good as you think he is, he won't be available at 1.23. I think Thomas is somewhere from WR3 to WR5. Depends upon what a team is looking for and what a team projects him to be. Probably the best WR in the draft in regards to taking the top off the defense.

If Thomas is as good as you think he is, he won't be available at 1.23. I think Thomas is somewhere from WR3 to WR5. Depends upon what a team is looking for and what a team projects him to be. Probably the best WR in the draft in regards to taking the top off the defense.
Agreed,

That's why if he falls I would pick him. A real talent that would improve the run game and give Stroud another difference maker. Stroud with Collins/Dell/Thomas/Schultz/Barkley. Weapons and you cant cover them all. I will guarantee you with this group of skill position players the Texans would score more than 3 points in a playoff game.

Add a top tier FA DT even if you have to go cheaper with a guy like Grover Stewart and add a LB like Willie Gay in FA. Then draft an Edge like Booker to in the 2nd to pair with Barnett and lets roll.

Back