Steel B's Final Mock

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by steelbtexan, Apr 27, 2015.

1. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

1. Erick Kendricks- UCLA, ILB 6'0 232 4.61 22 Reps, Athletic LB who is very active/instinctive, always around the ball. Good in coverage, perfect fit next to Cushing. Great blitzer

2. Ali Marpet- Hobart C/OG,OT, 6'4 307 4.98 30 Reps. Most athletic OL in this draft. Has the ability to play anywhere on the OL, strong as a bull and has great feet. After watching some of Marpet I think he has the ability to be another Bruce Matthews. If Marpet went to USC/Fla St/Ala he would be a top 10 pick.

3. Mike Davis - South Carolina RB, 5'9 217 4.61 17 Reps. Davis reminds me of Foster, he runs hard, has great burst and great hands out of the backfield. He's good in pass pro and is a great GL/short yardage back. I've got him rated behind David Johnson and Gurley as my favorite RB. (I didn't forget Gordon)

4. Adrian Amos- Penn St, FS 6'0 4.56 21 BP, Amos is a smart guy who can play the slot CB in a pinch. He's always in the right place at the right time. Reminds me of Glover Quin, I would trade up into the 3rd rd to pick him.

5. Mike Hull- Penn St. OLB/ILB Hull is a team leader who can stack the OL and cover the TE. He's a very sure tackler. He needs to stay healthy though. BOB goes back to the Penn St. well.

5. DeAndre Smelter- Ga. Tech- WR 6'2 226 ACL inj, probably in 4.4's. Smelter is a big fast guy who is great at wrestling/high pointing the ball. Great hands. A steal at this point in the draft. Hopefully BOB/O'Leary roots run deep.

6. Xavier Williams- N. Iowa, NT, 6'2 320 5.32 30 BP, Williams is a big strong agile guy who can hold the point of attack but has the agility to move through traffic well. The only reason he lasts this long is level of competition. Reminds me of the Ravens Brandon Williams.

6.Jaxson Shipley- Texas WR, 6'1 193 4.48, Shipley reminds me of Edelman, he's fast in and out of his breaks and has great hands. He's fearless across the middle. I cant wait to see how Shipley does with a real QB.

6. David Irving- Iowa St. DE, 6'7 277, 4.84 27 Reps, Irving has an 873/4 in wingspan and very violent hands. Dominated Scherrf last yr. He's only available because his babies mom got mad at Irving for seeing other ladies at Iowa St. When he went to get treatment for a minor injury his BM cut up all of his clothes and threw his PS2 out the window. When Irving got home he held her down at cut her hair. (He did not hit her.) Seattle had him in for a visit.

7. Rob Crisp- North Carolina St. OT, 6'7 301 5.26 19 reps. Crisp dominated Mario Edwards and more than held his own against Vic Beasley last yr. Crisp has long arms and great feet. The only reason he's still available is he missed most of the 2013 season due to a concussion. He also has suffered a fractured tailbone. (Ouch) If Crisp can stay healthy his talent level is Donovan Smith/Clemmings like.

Let the critiques begin. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I like it alot. If you had David Johnson instead of Davis I'd love it

you're selections might be a round too high, but stuck in the middle what can you do?

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Crue

I can get behind a draft like this... Good blend of offense & defense

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I think Johnson will be gone by the middle of the 3rd rd. I could see the Cowboys trading into the late 2nd/early 3rd for Johnson. As you know Johnson is my guy.

Davis has very good hands and should be there in the middle of the 3rd.

5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Have no reservations about Kendricks.

If you want this guy this is about where teams will target him. Not sure we need to spend another 2nd rd. pick on OG unless they feel he can replace Myers?

Mike Davis is a solid, big, physical downhill runner who can also catch the ball.

He will be off the board before the 4th rd. but love him as a prospect.

Why not tab a former player, some coaches have great success doing it over & over & over again.

Good, big developmental WR from a program who attracts specimens to play position.

Solid Nose Tackle to develop & be ready when Wilfork retires someday.

Fits that mold. Aslo add return skills.

Don't know much about Irving but really good measureables for position.

I could live with this draft :wesmantexanfan:

6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

BL, I see Marpet as a center. Although I believe he could come in and become the 2nd best OL on the team and play anywhere on the OL. This guy has the ability to become a great one.

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Man your first five are pretty dang good. I am not a big fan of Shipley but probably due to his older brother. Only disagreement is your rating Davis above Gordon

8. bhsman

bhsman All Pro

Pretty solid draft, though I disagree with the Kendricks pick.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Kevin White , Amari Cooper , Trae Waynes , Danny Shelton all gone - give me Kendricks at 16.

10. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

Your mock certainly doesn't take the direction I would take, but with several exceptions I think it does a credible job of addressing our primary needs. You've addressed depth at OG & OC with Marpet and you've added our #3 safety with Amos. My negative comment is that you have not, IMO, realistically addressed SOLB. Hull is only 6' tall and has only 30 1/2" arms and just doesn't fit the profile that Crennel likes for this position. And I think OB is looking for a receiver with the speed to take the top off the defense. The receivers you selected may not fit this profile.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This is how I see the draft falling and think Kendricks will be BPA.

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Smelter, if healthy can take the top off of a defense. That choice came down to Adrian Coxson and Smelter. I think Smelter will be the better pro. It may take Smelter a yr but he's a stud. Better than Devin Smith IMHO. But that's OK the Texans wont be winning a SB next yr anyways.

Agreed about the SOLB, I iike Emanuel but think he will be long gone by the 5th rd. I considered Orchard in the 2nd. That guy is going to be a very good SOLB.

Hull will make the team and contribute on ST's and provide great depth if Cushing gets hurt again. That's all I look for in 5th rd guys. If they turn into more that's a bonus.

13. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Why is this? He was playing damn good for the Bungles until he blew his knee out. Was never the same after.

I think Jordan was better

14. Blake

Blake MMQB

Obviously the first couple picks are the biggest. I know that ILB is a huge need on this team, but I do not feel that Kendricks is worth a pick that high. Ive seen a lot of mocks that have him low 1 to mid 2. I also wouldn't say he is an excellent blitzer. He has weak numbers at TFL and sacks. Maybe he was asked to do different things at UCLA, but just responding to you saying he is an excellent blitzer. Also didnt show much at the combine to me.

He is an excellent tackler though. But not a game changer IMO.

Marpet seems like a strange pick. Yes we need OL depth and he is very versatile, so that counts for something. But if you are going to go OL in the 2nd round why not get a starting center like Hroniss Grasu? Marpet most likely will need a lot of coaching to start, so he wont be of any help at Center.

I like the WR picks. Could be a diamond in the rough. I know a lot of people like Amos, so hopefully we can get him in the 4th round like you have him.

:texflag:

15. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Great pick, and likely to occur if the board falls the way I think it will. Perfect compliment to Cushing inside. I don't think he's as good as his brother but he's plenty good enough.

I love this guy. I think his best position is LG but I do think he would be a great C as well. I'm not sure he gets on the field immediately due to the jump in competition but he's well worth a selection this high.

We've discussed him. I don't like this one. I get the pick. I would just choose another guy. In this area I like Johnson, Buck Allen, and Langford more.

Great pick. Long term he might be a FS but with Moore already there I think Amos can beat out Swearinger at SS in camp. This guy can play pretty much anywhere you want him to. I'm concerned that he will go much earlier than this though.

Kind of a redundant pick with Kendricks already taken. If we go another direction in the 1st I would love this pick. But he and Kendricks are too similar in skill set, and I don't think either can play outside. They're both mobile inside guys.

Risky pick but it's late. Extremely raw. Even when he heals up he won't be able to give you much for a while. Long term potential is certainly there though.

Love this guy. Sit and learn behind one of the greatest for a year and then fight it out with Nix. Will be a very good two gapper at the next level.

I know you like Shipley a lot but to me this guy isn't draftable. He's not nearly as good as his brother and he also has the injury bug, albeit not as bad as Jordan. He's got grit and heart, but not enough of anything else. He has hands but he can't separate, even underneath.

Great athlete for his size but I don't like him. If I thought he could keep his nose clean I would consider taking him, but I don't so I can't. The dispute with his girlfriend wasn't even what got him kicked off the team. He got in trouble again after that (when he already knew he was on thin ice) by participating in a campus riot and getting arrested.

Athletic ability is there. Injury history is too long for me but this late he's worth the risk.

I would take a different RB and WR, and I wouldn't take both Kendricks and Hull. Other than that, a draft that I could really get behind.

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Kendricks can do it all, he just wasn't asked to blitz much. Kendricks playing in coverage a lot allowed Myles Jack (Who I really love) to roam free to make plays..

With a guy like Marpet you look at his level of competition and I can see where you're coming from. Then you see his feet/strength and level of play and he's a guy you want on your team. If you've heard him speak about his desire to be great and how fortunate he is to have the ability to play in the NFL, how he's going to work as hard as possible to get the most out of his massive amount of god given abilities, he's worth this high of a pick.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats pick Marpet in the late 1st. He's a Scarnecheccia kind of OL.

I would use the 4th and the Hull pick in the 5th to trade up for Amos.

Blake likes this.
  17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Johnson is my favorite 2nd tier RB in this draft and he can play the slot too. He would be kind of interchangeable with Foster. Their running styles are a lot alike but Foster is a much better short yardage guy. With that said I think Johnson will be long gone by the mid 3rd rd. Probably to the Cowboys/Jets/Chargers. Maybe the Cards.

Hull is Cushing insurance. What I would try to do is use the 4th rd pick Amos and the Hull pick to trade into the 3rd and pick Amos. (Who I'm very high on)

Which WR's do you like more in the range I picked them in?

Thanks for the reply, aren't you glad to see my final mock has all good character guys? LOL Sometimes I like putting the DGB/Gregory's of the word in my mocks to start conversation. But when it comes down to it if the talent level is close give my Kendricks over Gregory. Kendricks is a team leader/playmaker who will be there every Sunday. You can count on him.

18. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I don't disagree at all. I really like Johnson. I'm hoping his small school status keeps him from going too high. He can get you yards up the middle, off the edge, and can really catch and run out of the backfield too. I think he's the second most versatile back after Ajayi.

In that range I like Titus Davis, Josh Harper, Mario Alford, Rannell Hall, Antwan Goodley, and Evan Spencer all more than I like Shipley.

Haha I don't mean to beat you up on the "bad guy" stuff too much but you drive me batty on that subject. I generally agree with most of what you have to say in this forum but on that subject we will just never see eye to eye. I'm not against guys who have made mistakes, but if it's a pattern they are off my board. I believe that a guy will always try to say the right things during his interview, but that doesn't mean he has changed. Once he gets paid he's going to go back to what he truly is. If I don't like a guy's character at his core then he's a no go regardless of talent.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Too bad Ajayi's knee knocks him off the board. I like him alot too and might use a late rd pick on him.

I like Spencer alot too. Harper will probably be gone, haven't seen enough of Davis. Goodley is a wildcard. I question his hands, but he has the ability to be a dynamite slot.

I just like pulling chains every now and then. We do have different philosophies in that I like talent more than anything especially if it comes at a discount and am willing to overlook pot smokers/wife beaters even though I detest guys who hit women.

What other entertainers are held to standards as high as athletes? MJ child molester, Vince Neal DWI manslaughter, R. Kelly etc... I could go on and on, does the public really care? They still keep on making their $$$$ in their fields but somehow things are different for athletes.

I think there's a certain degree of racism involved.

20. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

I believe it's sponsorships more than race.

Floyd Mayweather is about to generate more money than any other single athlete or entertainer could for a single night and he's a known deplorable piece of sh*t.

steelbtexan likes this.