Stay classy, Jeff,

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by srrono, Dec 1, 2011.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Dolphins won't relinquish rights to Rosenfels
    With the Houston Texans down two quarterbacks and desperately needing an upgrade, a report surfaced this week that the upgrade would be Sage Rosenfels. But the Miami Dolphins will apparently stop that from happening.

Rosenfels is currently on the Dolphins’ Non-Football Injury list because he had a blood infection that made it tough for him to play. That means the Dolphins don’t have to pay him, but they do own the rights to him. However, Rosenfels now seems to feel good enough to play, and he’d reportedly like to re-join the Texans. That would require the Dolphins to waive him.

And the Dolphins aren’t doing that. Dolphins G.M. Jeff Ireland hasn’t discussed the matter publicly, but he apparently thinks squatting on the rights to Rosenfels is better for Miami than letting Rosenfels go free.

One league source responded to that by saying, “Stay classy, Jeff,” in an interview with Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post, but the bottom line is that Ireland is under no obligation to let Rosenfels go. And he’s surely not the only G.M. who would do the same under the same circumstances.

The Broncos let Kyle Orton go elsewhere by waiving him after it became clear that Tim Tebow was the starter, but that was a cost-cutting move for Denver. In the case of Rosenfels, who isn’t getting paid on the Non-Football Injury list, there’s no such benefit to the Dolphins by cutting him.

And so Rosenfels will continue to sit out and not get paid, when he’s apparently healthy enough to play, and the Texans are apparently willing to pay him. That’s too bad for Rosenfels and the Texans, but the Dolphins hold all the cards here.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/01/dolphins-wont-relinquish-rights-to-rosenfels/

MikeSilver Michael Silver
    Vikings: Go ahead, Donovan. Broncos: You're free, Kyle. Dolphins: Um, sorry, Sage, we're not paying you, but you can't leave

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

are these your words? We need a link if not. I don't think the CBA will allow a team to keep a player and not pay him. You keep him and pay him or release him.

3. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

4. Vinny

thanks pards.

can anyone who knows the CBA better tell me how you can keep a guy's rights and not pay him?

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I can't believe there is no mechanism for a player to force the team to take him off the list particularly since he isn't getting paid. It is defrauding the league (claiming injury where there is none) and the player.

6. Vinny

yeah, I don't see it either. It would be way too easy to get out of a contract if this were the case.

7. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

This is pathetic. Yet another reason to dislike Miami. Plus, their logo is still stupid.

8. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

That's just ridiculous. If I were his agent I would be calling the Union leaders and making a big issue out of this. He wants to play, he likely has a job offer awaiting him, and the team is preventing him from working. I'd go beyond the NFL CBA and take it to a Florida court if necessary.

9. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

**** you, Jeff! 6-0 against your crap squad, baby!

10. BIG TORO

BIG TORO TERADACTYL #23

Yea he's just pissed cuz that team has never been able to beat us! Plus how the hell could letting him go affect his team not like there going any where this year.

11. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

From the current CBA

For those with a legal background, does the fact that Sage's contract is tolled mean that Miami continues to hold his rights next season - even though it's a one year contract? If not, anybody got a layman's description of exactly what it does mean?

Regardless of the legalities, and even though I'm not sure signing Sage would have been that beneficial, it's still pretty chicken-bleep on the part of the Dolphins. I know Texans Chick tweeted something about all players giving this consideration down the road of considering signing with the Dolphins as a FA. I sure hope that it ends up biting Ireland and the Dolphins in the backside.

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Yes. Any time spent on the non-football injury list is as if it didn't exist.

13. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

MikeSilver Michael Silver
    Vikings: Go ahead, Donovan. Broncos: You're free, Kyle. Dolphins: Um, sorry, Sage, we're not paying you, but you can't leave

14. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

As I stated earlier, I think it's classless on the part of the Dolphins, but it isn't the same thing as Orton and McNabb, since Denver saved a decent amount of money by letting Orton go, and Minnesota will too if McNabb is claimed off of waivers (which seems like a pretty decent possibility). Miami would not have saved a penny by releasing Sage.

15. GP

GP Go Texans!

He should change his name to Rage Sosenfels.

Since Sage Rosenfels is under contract and can't be let go...change of name means Rage Sosenfels CAN play for the Texans.

I'm not even a lawyer and I figured out how to work around this problem. Pffftt...:kitten:

16. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

Honestly, do you expect any different from a man who asked Dez Bryant if his mother was a prostitute during a job interview?

17. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Wow. Forgot about that little gem. What an a-hole.

Sound like Miami has its own Ladd Herzeg.

18. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

No link yet, but Sean Pendergast just re-tweeted this from Mike Silver:

19. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Now I beleive it..

NFL.com

20. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Okay, I take that back. Well...except for the stupid logo part. Nothing will ever change my mind about that goofy image.