State of the O-line

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jradMIT, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I'm not so sure about that. Not after they made the investment of a #2 pick to make enough cap space to improve the team immediately rather than wait a year.

They , like me believe that this team is ready for the bigtime .... if they can find a competent quarterback. That aint Savage , aint Weeden and probably isn't any rookie much less some jag on day 3.

If all they do to improve the QB spot is a 4th round pick .... that #2 was thrown away.

Get Romo , OK 4th round clipboard holder is fine.

No Romo , you gotta get a guy early in the draft.

Still lots of guys on the FA list who can be had for cheap to fill those OL spots ..... QB not so much. Damnit I been saying this for 3 years ....

2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

QB above all else is needed. What I see happening is Ricky signs Romo and drafts an OT at 25. Then drafts a QB with one of the 4th rd picks.

Chad Kelly anyone?

3. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I'm not sure if taking a rookie 1st rd QB in this draft would be any better than the "hot garbage" we've seen over the last few years but it might be more entertaining! :D

Seriously though, I don't see them taking OL in the 1st 2 rds. Maybe the 1st rd or the 2nd rd but not both. Now whether they get a QB with the other pick remains to be seen. I still have no clue as to what the Texans are planning on doing in the Draft or FA as far as the QB situation goes, and I'm not sure they do either. If Romo gets cut they will probably go after him which will probably affect who and when they pick a QB in the Draft and maybe even if they pick a QB. But all of this is just pure speculation at this point and just fodder for the message boards and media outlets. I guess all we can do (besides speculate) is sit back and enjoy the show! :popcorn:

4. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

This is where we differ. You have a low opinion of Savage and Weeden. I believe that both Savage and Weeden have the arms to take advantage of the speed we drafted last year. They both have developed the familiarity with our receivers and have the familiarity with the offense to run it effectively. I believe both can take the team to the next level. I simply don't have the urgency to bring in someone new.

I do have an urgency to upgrade the talent on our Oline, both starters and backups.

5. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

We still need to add an OT via FA.
    Austin Pasztor played RT for Cleveland last year. He only gave up 5 sacks in 950 snaps in his first year as a starting RT and He's only 26. Not a world beater but played more than adequate last year.

6. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

Since I'm ready to go into the season with Savage and Weeden, I place a lower priority on signing Romo. If Pasztor appears to be an acceptable signing, do so, without waiting for the Romo situation to resolve.

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Neither has shown anything other than not being incompetent. The record of success for 4th+ rounders and 3rd team QBs is abysmal.

Just like our sacks more than halved going from Carr to Schaub, competent QB play will make the OL look a lot better. And they are getting Martin back.

Also as mentioned in another thread, maybe we should get a more experienced OL coach.

JB likes this.
  8. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Former No. 2 overall pick Luke Joeckel inspired the Seahawks to give him $8 million for the 2017 season, presumably based on his college game tape. He struggled to keep his job in Jacksonville or provide average starter play before tearing his ACL last season.

The Seahawks probably believe their coaching can fix him, and maybe they'll be proven right. But that was the gambit made by almost every team spending on linemen this offseason. The Lions, Jaguars, Vikings, Chargers and Jets all swapped players, paying premium prices for another team's problem.
    http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcwest/po...l-one-of-the-worst-free-agent-signings-so-far
    People are starting to make fools out of themselves as they fight over the crumbs of offensive tackles in free agency, so no telling what they might do in next months Draft ?
    I just hope the Texans keep their cool and don't act out of desperation as apparently the Seahawks did as they couged up 8 million US greenbacks for the services of one Luke Joeckel,
    former Aggie OT and a bona fide NFL bust, for just one year, 2017. Yea the Seahawks, usually considered a first class organization. Yikes !

9. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Austin Pasztor, starting RT last season for the Browns, only 26, entering his prime years would certainly help shore up Texans OL.

WolverineFan and thunderkyss like this.
  10. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

If we sign Romo while getting reasonably scooped on Mahomes and Peterman while nailing a couple of impactful players at 1.25 and 2.57, then yes, I wouldn't begrudge taking a flyer on Kelly later.

steelbtexan likes this.

11. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

Where was he rated among OT's?

12. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Pasztor is currently a free agent and although he’s not an elite tackle, he’s done well enough to helpful on anybody’s roster.

The 26-year-old tackle certainly was among the highest-graded offensive players by Pro Football Focus, week in and out for the Cleveland Browns in 2016.

He was the featured tackle on the right side replacing the outgoing Mitchell Schwartz, who signed a five-year, $33 million contract with $20.7 guaranteed with the Kansas City Chiefs this past off season.

It’s not clear if the Browns are going to bring Pasztor back as he got the job done but didn’t necessarily wow the team’s brass as well.

But he’s still quite young and there’s tons of room for growth for the guy.

He also has proven he can play both the guard and tackle positions, having done so with the Jacksonville Jaguars, his previous team before signing tender with the Browns last year.

13. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Seems to be more of a RG than a RT

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/2/12/14593472/cleveland-browns-free-agent-review-ol-austin-pasztor

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I would hope that any reasonable improvement that became available at FA would be on a plane to Houston for physical and a contract before any notice posted here. Not in a panic mode yet for Oline but not far from it...

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

We need one starter not on the roster and folks are acting like armageddon is nigh.

JB likes this.
  16. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

If we would go ahead and pull the trigger on Austin Pasztor; and then draft, say, Taylor Moton at 1-25, we could save a draft pick which might be a second Oline man.

We'de have a potential group of: Brown, Sua'filo, Mantz, Martin, Allen, Pasztor and Moton. Also add in Clark, Lamm or another recent Jag signing, then we would have a pretty good potential starting 5 out of this group and pretty good backups.

17. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

thunderkyss likes this.
  18. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

He started 15 games at RT last year and acquitted himself quite well. He was only moved to OG in the finale because Cleveland wanted to give Cameron Erving a look at RT since he's been a total bust on the interior thus far and, as a former 1st round pick, the new regime needs to figure out what they have in him since they will have to decide on his option after this year.

19. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Do they realize the OL is below average?

I'm not sure.

20. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

Actually this o-line is average, there's a lot of bad units out there, average now is not that good, but just by having a above average LT and an ok left size, puts them in the middle of the pack despite the poor right side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steelbtexan likes this.