Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

State of the O-line

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jradMIT, Jan 21, 2017.

1. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

This must be your observations

2. Vince

Vince Rookie

Good analysis. I wasn’t aware the the starting OL unit had only given up 4 or 5 sacks.

3. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I think the correct answer is "All of the above"...
    better play selection, more video/film study,
    Watson working on certain throws he thought needed sharpening.

...there's no one thing

4. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

From Storm report on Facebook

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

I like watching him. He's not a big brute like Duane Brown, but solid, solid technique. Hands, shoulders, hips, feet near perfect every snap. You can tell he's had some really good coaching. I don't know if that was at Miami or from college, but I'd be looking into it if I were O'Brien.

6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Very few OL can move as effortlessly as Tunsil can. A young DB could move like Tunsil and DB had a mean streak.

maverick512000 and CWTexansFan like this.
  7. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

Tunsil may not have that same mean streak but you listen to Tunsil after game interviews and he seems to take every time Watson is sacked as a personal insult that must be answered. He's done this long enough and spent enough time in the purgatory that was Miami to know that as your QB goes so does your team so playing in front of a QB that can actually take you to the big game seems to mean a lot to him. What I'm liking about the current line, except maybe Martin, is that they seem to be a very mobile line that can follow Watson, at least some what, when he starts dancing around the back field.

8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Dont get me wrong, I loved the Tunsil trade and he's only going to get better as he becomes more comfortable. He's a bad a**.

Your right in that this is the most athletic OL the Texans org has ever had. Even more athletic than the Gibbs ZBS OL's.

Plus they are really young and should really improve as they get more experience and develop into a cohesive unit. I'm really amazed that they are doing as well as they are right now because they're getting by on their pure talent level.

This is such a change from the previous 5 yrs. Now that BOB's fully in charge he wants to protect Watson at all costs and fixed the OL in 1 offseason. I know many on this MB cant stand BOB but I'm very happy he made this decision and yes, it cost to get Tunsil but a well protected Watson equals a bright future for this franchise.

9. watt99x99

watt99x99 Veteran

I can see this o line become great in the future but it can also depends on DW4 running around while making plays.

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Watson needs to stop running around so much and learn to step up in the pocket and using good footwork to deliver accurate throws. I'm sure sure Smith has been working with Watson on his foot work. So far this season Watson's footwork has been inconsistent. Smith is one of the best teachers of fundamentals/footwork in the NFL.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Well officially they had more than 5 sacks in the first game, the NOLA game alone.
    So much of this seems to be open to interpretation it's challenging to know what the stats really are ?

dream_team likes this.
  12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Watson needs to stop running around so much and learn to step up in the pocket and using good footwork to deliver accurate throws. I'm sure sure Smith has been working with Watson on his foot work. So far this season Watson's footwork has been inconsistent. Smith is one of the best teachers of fundamentals/footwork in the NFL.

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

How many of those sacks are because Watson held the ball too long or ran into sacks?

14. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

The oline struggled early because the scheme sucked. O'Brien had Tunsil trying to go over the guard to block blitzing LBs and crap like that

frethack likes this.
  15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Do you know the definition of the word continuity?

16. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

It doesn't mean completely changing the scheme in game 5

17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

So the answer is no?

CWTexansFan likes this.
  18. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

You need to ask Bill O'Brien does he know the meaning of continuity. He's the one who keeps changing up the line every year. Lol

19. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Exactly, unless you're a Texans coach, then you truly can't place blame. An outside observer doesn't know the responsibility of the OL. Also, in a lot of cases, partial blame should be spread out to multiple position groups.

To me, when people say "only 4 sacks this season are due to the OL"... I think they watch the all-22, freeze the video right before Watson gets sacked, and if they find a receiver open, then they put 100% of blame on Watson for that sack. To me, that's unfair analysis.

When I watch the tape, and even though Watson may be holding the ball 2+ seconds, I still see some linemen not holding their blocks or not picking up the stunt. In these cases, I would put partial blame on the OL.

Texansballer74 and TheKDog like this.
  20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

In my opinion you would be wrong. Has been stated repeatedly the average is less than three seconds that a quarterback needs to release the ball. If Watson for whatever reason does not, any sack is on him, again in my opinion. He has option to pass or throw the ball out of bounds to avoid a sack. If receivers are not getting open then they would share or be responsible.

steelbtexan and CWTexansFan like this.