Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

State of the O-line

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jradMIT, Jan 21, 2017.

1. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

Except in the first round. Wait, that’s it, we bring Smith back to draft the first round, Gaine to draft later rounds and then let BoB do the F/A trades.

Scary part is I could almost see the Texans doing that.

2. Earl34

Earl34 All Pro

You might be on to something. This sounds like the nebulous alignment that they have been seeking. Send this idea to Easterby.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I believe that Johnson will be kept as the only legitimate swing tackle.

4. Scooter

Scooter Funky

Have anything newer or better? Everything I can find is labeling his duties as "assistant".

ObsiWan likes this.
  5. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

To be fair it’s hard to find what anyone’s job in NE is beyond the obvious like OC and DC. Anyone in the front office their job description is basically “Whatever Belichick needs you to do”. I don’t know if he would be a good GM but looking at the evidence he is as good a prospect as any other non-former GM.

Miami was all set to hire him and the only reason he didn’t go there is they wouldn’t let him fire the HC. He has been with the Pats a long time and frankly you don’t stay with NE that long if you aren’t at least competent at your job. Finally NE has traditionally been of the mind set “if they want to leave let them leave” but they went out of their way to keep him. It wasn’t like they got anything from us for it nor was it a case of hurting a rival team because, let’s face it, we don’t really even pop up on their radar.

So there was something about him that NE wanted to keep as long as they could.

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  6. Scooter

Scooter Funky

Not really. Tunsil is an unproven and while showing capable, has been less than ideal and still at the mercy of higher ups - giving him a single first round pick. 2nd first round pick is gone until proven otherwise. Stills is our safety receiver and will finish around 35-40 catches even if someone drops - not worth a second round potential - pick wasted on a known (but we got a 4th). Howard was the second tackle taken in the draft and is too busy playing musical chairs to prevent us from needing to throw so many picks at a left tackle. Another first gone. I would add Scharping to the list, but we're still waiting on O'Brien to figure out what position he and Sua'Filo will play, or why Martin got paid.

By my count between April and Game 1, we've dropped two firsts and a second.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  7. Scooter

Scooter Funky

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE. That's the qualification for hiring everyone out of New England. "To be fair, we don't really know what he does because Belichick does everything ... but 'Random Coach/GM' title sure looked good!". They're winning, so obviously that means we'll win too! Except ... no.

And don't use Miami as an example.

OptimisticTexan and TheKDog like this.
  8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Posters on here stating as fact that they know BB does everything. Nobody knows what BB does. O think he oversees everything in the Pats oorg and Caserio is his legs on the ground. But nobody really knows anything.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Except Fulton can't stay healthy...

justmy2cents and steelbtexan like this.
  10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Coaches have a much bigger voice for the first round... First round since 2014 hasn't been all that

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

Yes.

He's been better than all the draft picks & FAs we've thrown out there since Duane Brown. Why start that carousel all over again?

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

[​IMG]

14. welsh texan

welsh texan Site Contributor

Actually, if organisational alignment means having the entire team working towards the HC's vision then getting a GM who doesn't have the ego to instigate a power struggle isnt a bad idea.

For me, its the fact that this move ties us to Obrien the OC...If its possible to scheme DW to look this good tonight, then who's to blame when the scheme all too often limits him to how bad he looked the last 2 weeks?

Earl34 and TheKDog like this.
  15. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

Neither can Martin.....so if I had to choose between the often injured OL, Fulton is still head and shoulders better.

justmy2cents likes this.
  16. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

on the first point, I'd like to see the all-22 but I'll take your word for it.

on the 2nd pt., I don't recall saying Watson was "directed" to go practice. I took what you passed on to us (that Watson was working with his QB coach right after the game) as Watson himself realizing he cost the team the game so he had something he needed to work on.
    Seemed to produce results in the following game.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist Staff Member

I don't think the extra throwing after the game was what made the difference …. It was the film study and recognizing vulnerabilities in the defense along with the changes to the playcalling.

On Fuller's last score? (maybe the 2nd one?) - he had another receiver who had beaten his man deep on the opposite side of the field , right up the numbers - Much more separation than Fuller had - a much easier throw as that pass had to be right where Watson threw it for Fuller to score. Check the All-22.
    I was screaming how he missed that one …. until Fuller hit the endzone.

I only recall one play where he missed an open guy , weren't many balls that hit the dirt , hell the play I refer to above was a TD .… I'm nitpicking.

18. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

There sure are a bunch of RT's on that list.

According to I think it was Rappaport that said the plan was to start Howard at LG and eventually move him out to RT. It happened faster than they thought it would do to Henderson's suckage.

I'm with you on that they should've started with Howard at RT in TC.

OptimisticTexan and CWTexansFan like this.
  20. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

Laremy Tunsil allowed two sacks and three hurries in Week 1, but since then he hasn’t allowed a single sack or hit, and allowed just three hurries on 164 pass-blocking snaps. He has really stood out the past two weeks especially, allowing zero pressure on 86 pass-blocking snaps in that span.

Trade successful

Tytus Howard has had a decent start to his NFL career, allowing a single sack in 163 pass-blocking snaps, but a little worrisome 12 hurried and 13 pressures on the QB. Week over week he’s gotten better climbing the ladder in his grades!

Max Scharping has been up and down so far. Although he hasn’t allowed a sack yet, he has allowed 7 hurries and 7 pressures on 129 pass-blocking snaps. His run blocking hasn’t been all that great, but let’s be honest, he’s learning and doing a decent job so far. Will be fun to watch him grow in the NFL.

Nick Martin has allowed one sack all year, 1 QB Hit, 1 hurry and 3 pressures on 206 pass-blocking snaps. He’s done a decent job in the run posting a 61.4 grade on PFF, currently a career high. He has been penalized only 2 times as well, although sometimes I think he flubs on the snap count and others pay the price!

Zack Fulton has not allowed a single sack, but has allowed 1 QB hit, 8 hurries and 9 pressures on 158 pass-blocking snaps. Only been penalized in one game, 2 times.