State of the O-line

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jradMIT, Jan 21, 2017.

1. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

I agree. In passing it's probably not a big deal. If someone went off about watson vs oz i wouldnt even argue much.

Straight draft news or scouting report/rumor and there is a defined place for it. The people really looking for it in the draft forums wont find it because it's mish mashed in here.

Either way, jmo. Not my place to regulate sh*t. Just seems sensible.

76Texan and steelbtexan like this.
  2. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

And if you want to go into detail about a guy then put the detail analysis in the draft threads
    oh and maybe post a link to that thread.
    That brings everything full circle.
    :twocents:

76Texan likes this.
  3. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

The Seahawks have signed offensive lineman Oday Aboushi, according to Aboushi’s Twitter and several earlier reports.

Aboushi spent the last two seasons with the Houston Texans, starting eight games at guard and has started 18 games overall since joining the NFL as a fifth-round pick of the Jets in 2013 out of Virginia.
    http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/report-seahawks-sign-ol-oday-aboushi/
    I don't like this news because we've got enough issues at OT but now losing this guy also now makes our situation at guard at bit more tenuous.

4. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

It was a numbers game with Aboushi. He's gotta deal with Jeff Allen's contract and Nick Martin's draft position. Plus Mancz has the ability to play guard/center.

5. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Texans quietly added two olinemen during the season - Laurence Gibson 6'6" 305lbs T from VT (1 year) and Josh Walker G 6'5" 328lbs Middle Tenn St. (2 yrs) Not exactly stars but they will be developed and depth.
    I expect Texans will add a RT in the first two rounds of the draft - I predict Taylor Moton in the 2nd. (Pressure on olinemen in this draft will drive their values higher.)

Texansballer74 and thunderkyss like this.
  6. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

This class of OTs is not good at the top. At the top! In other words there are no franchise guys that are going to go top ten or 15. The rest of the draft isn't much different than most drafts as far as OL go. There isn't any reason to panic and draft an RT in the first or second round. If one is there and he's worthy and we're not passing up far superior talent then yeah draft him, but there are plenty of OTs in this draft that can come in and start at RT and do more than an adequate job.

Actually I would say this is a deep draft for OL in the middle rounds. Hopefully Smith recognizes this and doesn't get to froggy early and pass up some really good talent in this really deep in talent draft. I wouldn't draft an OL until third or fourth round unless one of the top guys falls to the second round. Even then it would depend on who's available at that point.

bah007, Corrosion and thunderkyss like this.
  7. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Ah yes good advise.
    Draft into the strength of the Draft rather than chasing after its weakest positions. For example we know that defensive backs and especially corner backs are probably the strongest position in the whole Draft so if a corner is the highest rated player on our Board consider using that first round pick on him especially with the recent departure of AJ Bouye.

jradMIT likes this.
  8. honored82

honored82 Veteran

So, we have had them on our PS in 2016? or they will be invited to camp as JAG ?

on a side note.....

The Texans conducted a private workout with Villanova offensive tackle Brad Seaton on Friday, according to a league source.

Seaton is a 6-8 6/8, 330-pound right tackle candidate regarded as a middle-round draft target.

Seaton is considered a rising small-school draft prospect due to his size and blocking skills. He was a second-team All-Colonial Athletic Association selection.

The New York native participated in the College Gridiron Showcase where he met with the Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, Kansas City Chiefs, Texans, Green Bay Packers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Philadelphia Eagles and Chicago Bears.

9. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

I really like Moton as a guy who's probably a better fit at guard but who can play some tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

I like that strategy so the Texans should walk away with a TE, CB, S, and possibly a RB or Edge.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Due to his size? At 6'8" I'd be worried about his size. Even in a full squat, he'd be playing too tall.

I know there are exceptions to every rule & all, I'm just saying his "size" would concern me more than it would intrigue me.

Texian likes this.
  12. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

He was the starting Right Tackle.

13. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

Per Rotoworld

Pro Football Focus notes that Western Michigan OL Taylor Moton "has the strength and athletic ability" to succeed in any scheme.

The PFF analysis team believes that Moton's best NFL fit will come at guard. "There are some concerns as can improve his pass protection against skilled rushers, but a move to guard can protect him in that regard," writes the outlet. The Bengals and Panthers both reportedly spent a fair amount of time talking with Moton on pro day. Scouts Inc. saw him as a "winner" coming out of the Combine.

14. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

Looks good. Not saying he's the one, but I'm going OL with 1-25. I'd have to give serious consideration to a versatile player who can play inside and out. If rated as the 6th best OT, he would be slotted bottom of the first/top of the second.

15. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Agree.
    It will be interesting to see how teams pick in this draft with such excellent talent on D available and a paucity of olinemen - they need olinemen, but it is difficult to resist stellar talent especially in the D backfield.
    I can see some nice talent slipping well down into the second - Texans could get two very good pieces even though we pick at 25 and 57.
    I can see one BPA choice for Texans FO, but then again is BPA based on value or raw talent or both? I suspect a QB takes precedence.

16. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

We need not just starters, but we need to upgrade our OL depth. Depending on how the draft developed, I wouldn't mind seeing, in no particular order, OL, OL and DB with our first three picks. Then QB in the forth. Also in the forth, or fifth, I'd like to see us find LB help. But other than addressing our QB question, our Oline is our highest priority. According to national sources, as well as several evaluators who post here, this is one of the worst QB classes with no QB carrying a first round grade. I prefer not to reach on a QB. Address our other needs and draft a first round QB next year when the talent is more highly regarded than this years.

17. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

If by some miracle Bolles is there, I really like grabbing him in the first and either Moton or Dawkins in the 2nd, that way u could have a RT and RG in the near term and your future LT and RT

steelbtexan likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Taking OL in 1 and 2 .... who the hell's playing quarterback ?!

I'm ok with one or the other , just not both. Had enough of hot garbage at quarterback.

FuzzyLogic, JB, Mollywhopper and 2 others like this.
  19. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

Is this rhetorical? I'll answer anyway. Savage, Weeden and a 4th round draft choice this year; a first round prospect in 2018. This is my preference.

A second scenario would replace Weeden with Romo. We're waiting to see how this plays out. IMO, this is the direction McNair & Smith would like. PR value.

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

As of right now it's worse than it was last yr.

OL lost in FA and coming off surgery.

Signed nobody.