State of the O-line

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jradMIT, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Dejaview

Dejaview Veteran

I can’t remember anything specific. Naturally most was all Packers which made the run game-accolades on both sides of the ball interesting. Didn’t seem like they knew anything about any of our players. For example they said Webb is an OK QB but they need to find another backup not seeming to know about McCarron. But they did harp on their run D.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  2. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Tweet from @riversmccown: Important to draft new offensive linemen early and teach them the fundamentals of NFL football, such as:
    1) Turning your back to the line of scrimmage
    and
    2) Getting to the next level and blocking nobody (71) https://t.co/BF3YHAPT5n

thunderkyss likes this.
  3. Dejaview

Dejaview Veteran

Wonder what the other 500 tweets said?

4. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Tweet from @riversmccown: I think he's been set up to fail. I don't take joy in watching him not play well, but he's a small-school tackle being asked to play NFL guard and tackle at the same time.

Also, if you aren't ready at tackle Matt Khalil plays. Fans want you to be good right away. It sucks! https://twitter.com/janwar130/status/1161033535668379648

Tweet from @riversmccown: @janwar130 Yes.

I don't think that Tytus Howard is a clean LT projection either way. He's a tools kid who has the talent to play there, but you can't bank on that.

5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

A first is too high for a seven year probowler, just turned 31 at 2nd most important position? I hope to get him for much less but totally ok if a first. Plus he would play this season protecting Waton a year before whomever we would take in draft 2020. I don't think signing him invalidates Rankin; that would be on Rankin and GM and coaches. I'm not so quick to say Rankin in his second year cannot improve but see him as OG. & backup for a third round while not ideal is tolerable for his year two.

6. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

McCown is a known OB hater (if not Texans), it's easy to figure out his takes

7. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Something Witty !

Isn't he and friends the equal of us getting five guys from the board and talking about it ? Plus negativity sells so for a guy trying to make a buck . Bottom line is the Texans have some holes to fill and right now they are huge question marks .

8. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

Don’t know, they said he got burned a couple of times towards the end by Rashan Gary, who actually is better than both the Titans guys combined, but he got moved around so much who can really say how well he is doing.

My point, however, had absolutely nothing to do with Howard, didn’t even mention him and for the record I didn’t want him or Dillard with our 1st. My point was everyone declaring Dillard as a great NFL success isn’t looking at the level of players he’s been put up against so far.

CWTexansFan and JB like this.
  9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

McCown, like many others is huge on click-bait. Anyone following him is far from objective

10. banned1976

banned1976 American

It reads like a Deadspin preseason team article. Only its not fictitious.

thunderkyss likes this.

11. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Take out Webb's scrambling and Texans RBs averaged 3.9 for the night. That said, it's hard for anyone to really get in a groove when no one has more than 8 carries. Higdon averaged 4.6 on 8. Jones and Crockett 4.0 each, both with runs over 10 yards, but just 7 and 6 carries respectively.

1st ever professional game and all, but Howard was totally whiffing on the 2nd level on at least a couple of plays I recall. I expect that gets better with more reps so we'll see.

thunderkyss likes this.
  12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I liked what I saw out of Crockett in pass pro. Looked like he might be that tough between the tackles runner BO'b seems to be looking for.

I'll be watching him the rest of the preseason.

13. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I thought Higdon the better runner by a good bit

otisbean, CWTexansFan and thunderkyss like this.
  14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Like Speedy said, not enough data. Definitely something to watch as we get closer to week 1.

otisbean, CWTexansFan and JB like this.
  15. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

No, because a few posters here already told us what to think about every and any other tackle not named Dillard.

Mr teX, vupac1 and maverick512000 like this.
  16. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Something Witty !

Any stud muffin LT prospects go in the top 6 in the draft . But for every Ogden , Pace , Boselli , and Jones , there's Gallery , Kahlil , and Joeckel . It's a wild guess at best .

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position&position=OL

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 at 11:30 PM
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

FIFY.

18. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

Yeah you read this MB and you'd think the only two tackles in the entire draft were Dillard and Howard.

19. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

While I agree with the overall sentiment, I will add that Duane Brown - the best LT this team has ever known, was drafted 3 slots behind where Bill Obrien took Tytus Howard, and Duane Brown never had to play guard.

If the TExans needed guards, and that was their aim, then they completely botched the 2019 draft.

20. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

I was laughing my ass off watching those shitty high school trap plays. so bad! I feel bad for Tytus at this point, the guy has heart, he's out there trying, but the game is coming at him fast, its unfair to ask him to memorize blocking assignments for two positions at the NFL level facing the ridiculous amount of exotic defenses he will see. That was just the first game against a team who isnt even really that good at defense.