State of the O-line

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jradMIT, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

This is my exact mindset as well.. I have absolutely zero faith in Devlin and I'm bummed out he wasn't replaced. (While the Colts are hiring assistants like Howard Mudd). I have zero expectations of developing prospects under him too.

How many years did we have to endure shitty STs play? Well last year we had one of the top units (outside of that dumbass play in Tenn.).. what changed? Oh yeah, we finally hired a respectable coach with a resume of experience and success.

2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

That's what you get when a guy tears completely the ligaments in his ankle. It's unfortunate because Martin was looking good in camp before this injury.

OptimisticTexan and CWTexansFan like this.
  3. Texas Jake

Texas Jake All Pro

We have hired special teams coaches with good resumes before. I think the difference maker this past season was the GM was committed to finding talent to add to the special teams squad

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    vupac1, CWTexansFan, otisbean and 3 others like this.
  4. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I don't think talent was the big issue.. we've had players leave this team and become better players elsewhere.

ObsiWan and OptimisticTexan like this.
  5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yet, look at the players drafted and signed in FA. Adding Reid/Peter K/Bademosi/Daniel/Howell etc... and all the sudden the ST's are much better. That and the best ST's coaching this franchise has ever had and I would say Gaine heavily invested in the ST's. It showed as the Texans (Other than the Tacks game) usually won the ST's part of the game. That was the one constant the team had and proves how valuable the ST's really are. Too bad they've had Marciano/Izzo etc... doing a piss poor job for a decade. Not that the former GM did them any favors by stocking the team with really good ST's guys. I mean when Peters and Blue (While good ST's guys) are your best ST's guys you're in trouble.

6. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

What's the average in the playoffs when you take out OBriens 7 point game?

7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Or the Bears 10?

8. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

That can be because of better coaching yes, but it can also be better scheme fit, and an extra years experience/development.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

& they have a better Center on the team in Mancz & Fulton.

I don't see how anyone can defend this coaching staff. Not Devlin, not O'Brien. It doesn't matter how many first or second round picks you don't have. It doesn't matter how much you didn't spend in FA. You have better talent on your roster & you still can't make obvious decisions .

Smartest guy in the room, short man syndrome, butt for a chin.... aaaaaarrrrgggghhh

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

If Martin could stay healthy I'd say you bring up a good point.

Carr Bombed, JB and Max like this.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Martin is was always available last yr. That's about the best I can say about his play. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if they drafted an OG like Lindstrom in the 2nd, and sign Brown in FA, then draft a guy like Scharping to play RT in the 3rd rd.

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

13. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Something Witty !

On 610 sports tonight , they said Martin was the 5th highest ranked center in the Texans division by PFF .

14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I didn't say he didn't suck.

15. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Something Witty !

I know . They were saying he should be better , what happened ?

16. Texas Jake

Texas Jake All Pro

How much of his play is related to the players on either side of him. The line has to play as a unit. If the entire line is playing like crap it is hard to get a good a handle on how good or bad each player on that line truly is. Not saying any one of them is great, but they all look worst than they would if they had quality play next to them.

thunderkyss likes this.
  17. Max

Max Hall of Fame

I think this is part of it. But dream_team's post about widespread individual under-performance suggests to me that there's multiple factors at play. I think some of the things contributing to poor OLine play under BOB are 1. talent 2. continuity/turnover on the OLine 3. continuity/turnover at QB (blocking for Watson is a lot different than blocking for Osweiler/Savage, etc.) 4. scheme -- it's easier to block for a quick throw/timing offense than a deep route/long developing offense and 5. OLine coaching -- Devlin probably hasn't been doing the best job but I think he's being scapegoated on this MB as the main reason our OLine sucks. I think he's only one of the factors and the best OLine coach would have struggled when taking everything into account. Now that the QB turnover problem is fixed, we can at least have a consistent blocking scheme that is going to help. I'm hoping that together that BOB/Gaine can identify who they want to fit that scheme (Fulton might be the only keeper from last years haul). It's probably going to take a couple of years to get the guys they want but I'm hoping we'll see a big jump in OLine performance next year.

Texas Jake likes this.
  18. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

PFF also had JJo and Kjax as the best 2 corners in the AFCS, Desir was 3rd, Bouye was 4th, and D.J. Hayden was 5th.... Ramsey not even on the list.

We all(including myself) should really start treating PFF like Walter football as they have gone to ****. Guess that's what happens when you outsource all of your data finding to anyone willing to do it for next to nothing, whether they have actual football knowledge or not.

thunderkyss, Texas Jake and JB like this.
  19. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

I don't take PFF as a single-source of truth. It's simply another data point, like all other stats. I think we can poll 100 guys, and 100 guys will agree that Jalen Ramsey is the best CB in the division.

But at the same time, we shouldn't dismiss it as total crap. These guys watch every players' every snap, and I'll value that more than someone making a judgement based off an "eye-test". Jalen is the best corner in the division, but him having an off year isn't really a big surprise. Alot of those guys on the Jags weren't playing very hard after mid-season when they knew they weren't going anywhere.

20. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

but it also matters who is watching every snap of every game, and their knowledge of the game. PFF is no longer a small group of guys compiling analytical data, they are now a huge company that tries to pump out as much "data" as possible to get people to pay for a subscription. They will take almost anyone willing to sit down and watch hours of tape for almost nothing to compile their data now. So you have no consistency from game to game, team to team, or player to player. Next how well do the people they are now hiring understand the game of football? Like I said they aren't paying these people much at all, so they aren't getting the cream of the crop, just some joe blows. Sure some probably understand different defensive concepts, blocking schemes, etc. but I would bet a lot don't. This is probably why PFF has been tripping over its own feet lately, they'll release different grades for the same player, rank them but then say their rankings are meaningless, etc. PFF has just become a joke recently, I use to be a huge fan of theirs but this ear especially I've seen enough from them to grow weary of their "grades", stats and analytics are great, but like you said they need context and just as important they needed consistency in how they are gathered, and PFF doesn't have that anymore

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.