State of the O-line

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jradMIT, Jan 21, 2017.

1. justmy2cents

justmy2cents All Pro

It really is that simple .... I would add a RB. Seriously, exactly how, and with whom (specifically), would you fix the line. There are no wrong answers. You think about and research it as much as anyone, probably more. So, left to right, who would they be .... I'm genuinely curious ! Oh .... and you are the general manager, so we can run any offense and blocking scheme you like.

2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I would sign Trent Brown in FA and draft Risner in Rd.1 if Dillard was gone. I would also look at drafting a guy like Sharping or Edoga in the 3rd, with the idea of moving Risner to OG or C. If Tyler Roemer fell to the 5th I would pick him for depth purposes. He's got more natural ability than any OT currently on the roster.

Your OL would look like this,

Brown/Risner/Martin/Fulton/Scharping

Reserves- OT's Roemer (Who possibly who could beat Scharping) and Henderson

OG's Rankins/Kelemete

C- Mancz

This would create a talented and versatile OL group. Some may not work out but the depth would be there that I could almost guarantee you that 7-8 of them would be above avg NFL OL. Plus you have the talented versatility BOB/Devlin seem to want from their OL.

Risner/Scharping/Fulton/Kelemete can all play multiple positions. If Martin doesn't work out at C then you can move Fulton/Mancz in and not miss a beat. If Brown/Risner or Scharping get hurt you can move Roemer/Henderson in and still be in good shape. If the OG's get hurt Rankin/Kelemete are there to step in.

Bottom line is you've created great competition and are doing everything possible to try and protect Watson from taking 62 sacks. Also this Ol will have great trade value. NFL teams are always looking for OL.

Plus you have both of your 2nds to draft CB's if you wish.

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I think so too. I kinda understood when he didn't consult Casserly. I mean dead guy walking right?

But Smith wasn't a lame duck when McNair was looking to replace Kubiak.

But it made clear this was McNair's baby, his vision. The GM reported to him. The HC reported to him.

Which I think was one of the problems with the vision for the team.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  4. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

Agree 100% but this is Cal's team now so we can't really be sure how he would run it. Logic would say it would be similar to how Bob did but Cal had the advantage of watching his dad as an owner and learning from those mistakes. Plus I find it very hard to believe that at no point did Cal and Rick have a conversation along the lines of "I wish your dad had talked to me before hiring a new HC so I could give some input." From my understanding those two were, and still are as far as we know, close.

Cal saw first hand what happens when a GM and HC are locking horns so he maybe more inclined to listen to Gaine's thoughts if/when hiring a new HC is needed. Fact is we actually know very little about the current Texans leadership. We know Gaine did good to great, depending on who you ask, last season but we haven't yet seen him when he has a full hand to play. We know Cal was part of Bob's committee but like a friend of mine in the Navy once told me right after he made captain "The world looks a lot different sitting in the chair than it did when I was standing next to it."

This offseason will be one of the most interesting if not important in Texans history.

5. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

6. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

7. maverick512000

Sooooo was that suppose to be a surprise? I mean I don't think anybody thought that any of the Oline were going to be top of anything except "sacks allowed'. Hey on the plus side though he made the top 5. :trapstar:

8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yep, This is why I wouldn't be against moving Fulton to C, where he was actually quite good for the Chiefs. Or letting the competition decide who's the starting C. Gotta add some talent in the draft/FA though on the OL.

9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Martin's multiple ankle injuries have ruined his career.

Just as CnD predicted they would.

10. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

I agree they are scared to decide on their own. But keeping Rick resulted in a weak coaching search followed by hiring O'Brien and having no alignment for 5 years.

I remember they did this too when they hired Reeves as a consultant to advise on David Carr. Reeves later denied he told the Texans to keep Carr.

And there was also keeping Casserly awhile through the draft, but I think kubiak ignored him.

To me, if you're gonna make the decision to buy a team, you should also be able to make the decision on who your football people are. Hiring or keeping someone around (like they did with Rick) makes things worse and takes away from crlaity on who's accountable. I don't see the Astros and rockets having a problem with this

justmy2cents likes this.

11. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

You must really have a short term memory

Texas Jake and FuzzyLogic like this.
  12. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Well I was referring to now. I know in the past they did

JB likes this.
  13. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

A failed experiment.
    Time to give Mancz back his job which he should not have lost in the first place.
    Martin can move to guard or depth.

14. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Cut Ben Jones, who Texans invested a 4th round pick on and use 2nd round pick on his replacement Center, Nicky Martin, and actually drop off in performance 69.8% Jones vs 59.3% Martin, Brilliant!

15. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

To dig more into PFF scores for our OL.

Jeff Allen - had a 80+ season before joining the Texans, where he never broke 60
    Zach Fulton - just had his lowest score of his 5 year career, by 10 points!
    Senio Kelemete - just had his lowest score of his 6 year career
    Martinas Rankin - lowest scored OT in the league

Nick Martin & XSF were highly touted prospects. It's not like the Texans reached on these picks. They were supposed to be plug & play guys, but both have never broke 70 points.

Even Duane Brown, in the past 8 seasons, his 3 lowest seasons were under BOB.

Oddly, according to PFF, Greg Mancz is our highest performing lineman, but he's regulated to the bench.

Now I'm not saying I know the problem, but it just seems like OLineman play their worse in this offense. So forgive me if I don't believe if we just add more talent, the OL will play significantly better.

vupac1, ObsiWan, CWTexansFan and 8 others like this.
  16. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Yes, but I think Ben left as a free agent. That year Brooks also left. O'Brien wanted his own guys.

17. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic Mathematically Possible

thunderkyss likes this.
  18. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Mancz can't stay healthy when asked to play regularly

Texas Jake likes this.
  19. maverick512000

Have you noticed that seems to be a common theme on this team.

20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Jones had a much, much better environment to muggle through. And only @thunderkyss thought he was worth his salt

thunderkyss likes this.