State of the O-line

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jradMIT, Jan 21, 2017.

1. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

It doesn't matter.
    We're not all that great in pass pro. 14 points early is nothing.
    Besides, O'Brien started the game passing the ball and continued on all the way.
    From 0-0, 0-7, to the end.

2. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

I just read that Munchak’s contract with the Steelers has expired. He interviewed for the HC job with the Broncos, and they were trying to hire him as OL coach. I say pay that man whatever it takes to bring him here!

3. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I wish that would happen but the reality of the situation is that BOB likes Devlin and has no intention of firing him. We can only dream of having Munch here coaching the Texans O-line! Hmm! I wonder what he could get out of Davenport! :hmmm:

4. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

There are 2 O-linemen I hope the Texans have their eyes on, Dillard and Lindstrom. My only concern is that after the Combine they will both rise up the draft boards and be gone by the time we pick at #23. Right now both are considered 2nd to 3rd rounders but I don't think that will last. This is considered a weak class for O-linemen but these 2, I think, could turn out to be the cream of the crop. Lindstrom is already rated the 2nd best OG by walterfootball.com. It's still early and there's a long way to go before the Combine and Draft but I'll be keeping my eyes on these two to see how they do. Hope the Texans do the same and maybe if they are lucky can draft one or even both of them!

steelbtexan likes this.
  5. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Yeah, our best hope is for Daniel C. McNair to over-rule him and forces a change

Texas Jake and steelbtexan like this.
  6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Hopefully BO'bs statements about Devlin are coach speak for, "We're going to fire him if a better candidate becomes available. I'm stubborn & particular & I'm not going to hire just anyone. I'm still trying to woo Brian Ferentz to the NFL. He's just one guy I have in mind, but there are a few others. I understand Devlin has limitations, & we're working on them. I'm not going to start over unless it's with one of the guys we've previously identified."

7. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

hopefully....

you believe in magic, right?
    :)

steelbtexan and JB like this.
  8. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

nice fantasy

steelbtexan likes this.
  9. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Right, I doubt that offensive lineman with potential entering the NFL Draft this Spring will go unnoticed by 31 NFL teams.

steelbtexan likes this.
  10. AggiebyMarriage

AggiebyMarriage Rookie

The problem is that we only have (1) 1st Rounder and (2) 2nd Rounders this year.

As I have stated previously " Around 50% of OL drafted in the 1st Round are busts (I will quote sources, for proof if needed).

If we want to try to fix the OT disaster that we experienced last year, we better pick up at least one serviceable OT in FA (I would like to get two), and then draft two OT's in the first two rounds. Yes, we will end up wasting draft picks by overdrafting the OT position, but that is what must be done to fix this problem.

What OT's to sign in FA, and who to draft, I will leave to those who know player evaluaton much better than I do.

But statistics say that by a combination both signing FA OT's and drafting OT's. the Texans should have a good chance of keeping Deshauan out of the intensive care unit next year.

PS: And yes they better Sign FA CB's and Draft CB's also.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

A plan I'm on board with. Sign Donovan Smith and draft Cajuste/Dillard and the OL would rival the Colts in just 1 offseason. Imagine how good Watson could be behind a top 5 OL.

Then draft a CB and a WR and call it a day. I know they would be missing out on a RB but you can only fix so much in 1 offseason and fixing these to areas should take priority.

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

You can repeat all day and it's still false. At best it is 50% don't end up at their projected position. That is not synonymous with bust. There are very few can't find a home on the OL busts in the 1st.

Texansballer74 likes this.
  13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

They signed two guards in FA & drafted a guy most suited to play Guard & stuck him at LT.

[​IMG]

Makes it hard for me to believe these guys know what they're doing. We could draft the best linemen in the entire draft & I'm convinced the team would be better with a better offensive coach.

If we win 14 games we probably should have won 16. If we get to the Divisional round we probably should have won the Super Bowl.

I know you're excited about Brian Gain. But what makes you think BO'b could do better with more talent is beyond me. He has not shown to be a competent coach in 5 years.

NastyNate and santo like this.
  14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I'm not playing this game with you anymore. If you cant figure out what I'm thinking by reading the last 1,000 posts or more I cant help you.

Let's just agree to disagree and just wait and see what happens.

dream_team likes this.
  15. ColeThornton

ColeThornton Veteran

I've seen enough of OB too, but we're stuck with him. It's why we had such a lively debate a year ago when there were those who actually defended the extension. There's no franchise tag for coaches, but he said he'd coach this year without an extension and the team was too stupid to do it. The majority of coaches still in the playoffs have an average of two years at head coach. The older guys left, had more success than OB early on. I've listed over 20 head coaches who made it to the AFC or NFC championship game in less time than OB has had, just during the Texans era. I don't know who the next coach is that can take this team to the next level. But just like we had to go through Mallet, Keenum, Hoyer, Yates, Weedon, Osweiler and Savage before we found Watson, if we don't start the process, we'll end up like Cincinnati some day looking back at all the years that were wasted with a head coach who never could do it. I would ask those who don't think five years is enough to know what you've got in a head coach, how many does it take, 7, 10, 15?

vupac1, ObsiWan and thunderkyss like this.
  16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

It's yr 1 with BOB's guy (Gaine) in place. A very promising yr at that.

Texas Jake and CWTexansFan like this.
  17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Just as an example of how coaching matters.

Eric Ebron. Little hoopla when drafted. High expectations. Eh... in Detroit. Goes to the Colts, same guy. Maybe he had a come to Jesus moment, decided to get serious about his career. Maybe.

But I think having a coach who can see your strengths & is able to coach to those strengths make a world of difference.

ObsiWan, FuzzyLogic and infantrycak like this.
  18. ung14

ung14 Veteran

Most seem to be advocating for major changes on the o-line but I would prefer a more incremental approach. Keep Davenport (who was always considered a project and started playing better in the second half of the season), Martin and Fulton. Substitute Rankin for Kelemete and draft a plug-and-play RT (maybe Edwards from Wisconsin).

Combine that with a new o-line coach, an additional year of growth from Watson and mix in a few more quick hitches and slants from a healthy Coutee and we should see major improvement.

vupac1, justmy2cents and JB like this.
  19. ColeThornton

ColeThornton Veteran

Promising? We finished the season 2-3 while the Colts won 5 straight. The Colts just embarrassed us in our building. Our QB with the weight of the franchise on his shoulders ends up 15th QBR and has the worse game of his career in the biggest game of his NFL career. Now he's pointing fingers at team mates. All of a sudden instead of being a QB away, the team has needs in 3-5 areas depending on who you ask and for the first time in O'Brien's career he's got a tough NFL schedule ahead of him next year instead of one of the easiest.

Promising?

Sure, that's all we've ever gotten from this organization... promises!

NastyNate likes this.
  20. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Now look at the offensive line of the Colts now. Straight trash but jokers on here given them all types of praise.

RAC didn't bring any type of heat. That's why Luck looked so good against us.

Now can we all agree both coordinators failed us.