State of the O-line

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jradMIT, Jan 21, 2017.

1. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

I was on the CBS Sports site and they did a RD1 Mock. It was interesting to see how players fell in their draft. Couple of thoughts I came away with:

1. They had the Texans drafting RT-C / Dalton Risner, Kansas State. Man, I like this pick and if he's brought in to be the future at RT or C....the Texans don't lose on this pick not to mention he's a versatile OL which fits OB's MO.

2. In their Mock LT / Yodney Cajuste, West Virginia was drafted after Risner. That could be a reach but between teams needing QB's and the majority of top rated players reside on defense.....there could be a possibility that both Risner and Cajuste slide deeper into RD1.

3. In this Mock, the Raiders select Edge / Montez Sweat, Florida State with their 3rd RD1 pick which is after the Texans pick but before the Cajuste selection. Raiders want an Edge and the Texans have an Edge.

4. I'd tag Clowney and offer him to the Raiders for their RD1-3rd pick, RD3 and RD4. The Raiders have the cap and need to make a move like this and not hurt their team in the long run. The option of Sweat versus Clowney should be easy if the team could agree on package of picks. I could lose Clowney if it meant getting the OL shored up for the next few years.

5. I'd like the idea of being in a position to select both Cajuste and Risner n RD1 and possibly getting Hyatt later in the draft. That would be a solid group of OL from the draft.....then include 1 solid veteran LT FA to bridge the development of either Cajuste or Hyatt.

Just a thought based on a Mock Draft.

2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Rest should really be here :D :kitten: :clown:

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  3. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Did you see Little's guy beat him? I agree he's not physical enough in the run game, but is very good in pass pro. There's not going to be a perfect pick that late in the 1st rd. But Little is undeniably talented with warts just like DB was when he was drafted. Luckily DB had HOF'er Gibbs working with him. Little has that kind of talent, but I'm not feeling good about Devlin being the man that gets the most out of Little's talent.

4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Kurt Warner just said 44 of DW4's 62 sacks have occurred after 4.5 seconds.

5. OptimisticTexan

Was that due to a standing pocket or Watson's mobility to extend the play? I can help on the first part....there never has been a standing 4.5 second pocket for Watson.

6. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

I wonder how many of those were in max protection where there were only a couple receivers running routes. That would certainly cause any QB to hold the ball a bit waiting for some one to work their way open

Mr teX likes this.
  7. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

If there was ever a game that shows the value of having a great O-line this is it! The Colts O-line has completely controlled the LOS and Luck has all day in the pocket! It would take a miracle of epic proportions for the Texans to come back from this one! Hope Gaine is taking notes for this years draft and FA because if not this team will be looking up at the Colts for a long time to come.

justmy2cents likes this.
  8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Only issue I have with that is you'd think Jj Watt & Clowney should even things up a bit.

We got 1st round corners, safety, 2nd round LBs...

It shouldn't be this lopsided

9. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

We might not want to follow the Colts' model. it took 7 years and near career homicide of their QB before they finally put together a plus OL.

10. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I think this GM (Ballard) has only been there one or two years and the coach and staff only one for sure! And remember, the coach, Reich wasn't even they're first selection as coach. They had to scramble when McDaniels reneged on his deal and left the Colts hanging. They took a wreck of a team and have molded it into a very good playoff team that could go a long way. Not many superstars on the team except Luck and Hilton but just a solid all around team that is young and plays very well.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019

11. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Amazing what you can do with a top tier QB behind a solid Oline.

12. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

While the tackle position was still very much an issue for Houston,Zach Fultonand a healthyNick Martinbrought some competency to their pass blocking. Fulton earned a 79.1 pass-blocking grade on the season while Martin was at 80.9.
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ine-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-17
    No that's hardly loud praise for the Texans' Oline unit but I appretiate any and all compliments no matter how modest I see and suggesting we've perhaps got 2 of the 5 pieces needed for a competent group is something worth reporting.

13. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Exactly, just like it took the Jaguars and Titans

14. OptimisticTexan

1 veteran LT and 2 rookie OT’s, like Risner and Hyatt and I Think the interior will be just fine.

justmy2cents and dream_team like this.
  15. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

2018 Texans review: Offensive line
    Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle Jan. 8, 2019 Updated: Jan. 9, 2019 4:43 p.m.

.............................The Texans moved on from draft bust Xavier Su'a-Filo and veteran journeymen Chris Clark and Breno Giacomini. And Gaine signed three new starters in right tackle Seantrel Henderson, who broke his ankle in the season opener against the New England Patriots, right guard Zach Fulton ($28 million), who provided mostly solid play, and left guard Senio Kelemete ($12 million), an undersized, frequently injured, feisty lineman who would ideally be a key backup.

Julie'n Davenport was brought back as the starting left tackle and he struggled mightily early in the season and led the team with 15 penalties. The former fourth-round draft pick from Bucknell has ideal size with long arms and improving strength. He has potential, but doesn't look talented enough in terms of mobility, skill and drive blocking to be a long-term solution at a critical position where he's tasked with protecting Watson's blind side.

The Texans were forced to insert Kendall Lamm at right tackle when Henderson got hurt. The former undrafted free agent from Appalachian State battled, but was overwhelmed by more athletic players. He went through some cringe-worthy moments, including being launched into the air once against the Colts in the regular season and landing on top of running back Lamar Miller in the backfield. Lamm is an unrestricted free agent.

Center Nick Martin is the only lineman on the roster with a pedigree in terms of a lot of predicted success. The former Notre Dame All-American is the highest drafted offensive lineman on the roster as a former second-round draft pick. And he's the younger brother of Cowboys Pro Bowl offensive guard Zack Martin.

Martin is the safest bet to keep his job and develop into an even more reliable player. He didn't dominate, but Martin has upside.

Texans coach Bill O'Brien has consistently praised offensive line coach Mike Devlin, so it doesn't look like he'll be blamed for the terrible pass protection. In fairness, Watson does hold the football too long at times and create some of the elevated sack numbers.

"There's a lot of things that go into a sack," O'Brien said. "I've said that, and it's the truth. There's obviously offensive linemen maybe getting beat, or we miss a hot, we miss a sight adjust, the quarterback doesn't get rid of the ball on time, the receiver runs the wrong route. So there's a lot that goes into the sacks.

"The big thing is evaluate the roster. Every year the roster's different just by the nature of the draft and free agency and all those different things. We're not near there yet. We'll begin that process, though, right away this week."

On the roster, the Texans have a few options. One is promoting Martinas Rankin, a third-round draft pick from Mississippi State, and having him replace Lamm or Kelemete. Rankin didn't look very good at left tackle when he briefly played there.

Miami Dolphins offensive tackle Ja'Wuan James is a name to keep in mind when free agency starts.

Ole Miss offensive tackle Greg Little and Alabama lineman Jonah Williams aren't expected to last long in the first round, but Oklahoma standout Cody Ford could be available when the Texans are on the clock with the 23rd overall pick.

O'Brien indicated he would prefer to build through the draft than free agency.

"I don't think you want to build it through free agency," the coach said. "That's my personal belief. You want to build it through the draft so you can mold the guys."

16. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

My guess is Gaine will try to build this O-line through the draft piece by piece and supplement the gaps (weak areas) with FA's. This is nothing new and all teams, I would think, do this to some extent to bolster their whole roster. It may take a few years to build the O-line the way you want it because you will always have your misses in the draft and FA (See XSF) but hopefully Gaine can find the right pieces within the next year or two. Personally, I'm still hoping for some marked improvement from both Davenport and Rankin that they will be able to at least provide some kind of depth for the O-line.

Texas Jake and OptimisticTexan like this.
  17. Texansballer74

Why do ya'll continue to think Gaines will build this and that. No no no Obrien and Gaines will try to acquire players to hopefully fit the offensive scheme we're trying to employ.

The offensive line needs continuity more than anything. You can't expect to trot out a new line every freaking year. Especially when this coach wants this high tech offensive scheme.

justmy2cents likes this.
  18. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

Me and you could be part of their offensive line for a 100 years and have great continuity. We'd still get our azz kicked cause we don't have enough talent.

Talent- could be important.

Get some.

19. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Keep it Movin!

A quality back could help slot also

20. Texansballer74

False

New England win SB with lesser talent all the freaking time.

Yall use this talent copout too much around these parts. 11-5 in the NFL and your talking about we didn't have enough talent. Stop the madness, it's the freaking coaching for crying out loud