State of the O-line

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jradMIT, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Tom Cable had a shitload of talent everywhere he's been and ruined almost every guy he's coached. Coaching matters just as much as talent. Good coaches will get guys to live up to their potential. Sure having 2 first round picks and a high 2nd helps immensely, but then you need to be able to hit on those picks too otherwise it turns into a shitshow real fast. Highly drafted OL have about a 40-50% wash rate. I agree with you overall though, good talent + a good coach and you have something special. Add in a Head Coach who will understand tendency and strength, or who will modify his plan of attack to have the opponent show his hand, and then go back to the original plan once he has the other team clocked. Its all a symbiotic method of success. Im hoping that if Indy goes back to a jumbo package that OBrien has put RAC on notice about those looks and contingency plans to nullify. OBrien himself should have learned a ton over the 2 meetings with Indy so hopefully the vanilla regular season playcalling is out of the window. Win or go home (stay home in our case).

2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Next yr is when we will find out if the issues are coaching or talent or a combination of both.

CWTexansFan, Texas Jake and frethack like this.
  3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

It's hard to wait for next year while this year is still here...

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

They have a punchers chance this yr, but do you really expect them to win a SB?

OptimisticTexan and JB like this.
  5. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Dude, I just want to enjoy football as long as I can... do you have any idea how long the off-season is going to be?

6. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

well since our offensive line is so bad most would lead you to believe the offseason starts on Sunday - Im here telling you that Deshaun Watson will not let that happen so keep enjoying your football life for a few more weeks (ill keep enjoying my spiced covfefe :wink: )

Texas Jake, JB and santo like this.
  7. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I love de spiced coffee Sunday mornings contemplating next week eating beans

8. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

or in my case being on edge so much and in 'cyber' fight mode that I dont realize the joke until way after the fact! Either way open a window for your wife nobody wants to smell that combo!

OptimisticTexan, steelbtexan and JB like this.
  9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Always thought a brisk early morning walk in de woods or morning swims kept you young whippersnappers fresh. Don't get on edge my friend... we have zero control :)

OptimisticTexan and Uncle Rico like this.
  10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

For the record I think they're going to win tomorrow.

11. markn

markn Hall of Fame

It's hard to wait for next year when it's Jan 4th

12. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

I was thinking today that Texans need not toss out the whole oline to be vastly improved next year.
    All they need to do for next season is snag a decent LT in FA (unless they think they can get a decent starter in the draft) and either draft or grab a FA Guard.
    Bill O'Brien wants to (rightly) run the rock and to do that all you need is a road grader at guard plus a serviceable rest of the line.
    I think we are good enough at center with Martin but we definitely need a LT and the aforementioned guard.
    The rest of the current line we trim down to those who are acceptable.
    If we can get a solid LT and G, I think the oline will be markedly improved.
    Sure, if you can secure another good one, like RT then go ahead, but you won't make this oline a world beater in one offseason unless you are very lucky.
    I'm thinking if we can get one good olineman from the draft, we will still have three more high picks for other important areas like CB, WR and possibly RB - depending on Foreman's recovery.

13. justmy2cents

justmy2cents Veteran

Getting one good lineman and saving three early picks for other important areas is exactly the ideology that has put us in this position. I know that we need DBs, and RBs, and TEs, and backup QB's, but if we ever just bit the bullet, stayed the course, and actually filled out a line with a group of truly talented players, we might very well end up with something resembling a dynasty. BTW, I'm sure you that know - Duane Brown was the only 1st round offensive lineman we have ever drafted.

CWTexansFan and OptimisticTexan like this.
  14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Last one seemed very short to me and this at least one game week shorter. Three top 60 picks for me to scheme over plus poss high quality FA in Desean Jackson and Bell and maybe a corner not identified yet and then a trade or three for extra picks...dang it's almost training camp!

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Yeah! I want that decent starting left tackle free agent! I want him! Oh yes I do. Where did he go? Wait where is he? Come out come out wherever you are?

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Hmm... I think we're in this position because Duane Brown got sideways & no one on Kirby could get through to him.

I think we're in this position because we couldn't see exactly what we were looking for in Ben Jones, Brandon Brooks, & XSF. All starting for other teams now (XSF may be due to injury) so we spend a 2nd on Martin who's yet to prove to be a replacement for any of the three. Heck, I think his backup is a better Center.

We'll be drafting at 32. Maybe 26. How many stud LTs do you think will be there? I'd rather not trade up for a LT, but if you do... don't miss.

I'd rather trade down out of the first & get a starting Center. Bank the extra picks we get sp next year we'll have the capital to move up if we need to, to get what we want.

17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Where was DB drafted?

They meed to trade up ahead of that draft spot.

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Traded back to 1.26 to take him.

Not all draft years fall even remotely close so don't see the connection.

Texas Jake and JB like this.
  19. justmy2cents

justmy2cents Veteran

The only real talent I see for left tackle is Jonah Williams .... and he'll be gone in the top 7 or 8. I've watched Little in 5 or 6 games. I am missing what everyone else is seeing. He looks like he's "just going through the motions" to me .... I can't see any enthusiasm or tenacity. Dalton Risner and Mitch Hyatt are both solid offensive linemen - they both vaguely remind me Garrett Bolles for Denver. For some reason, I haven't seen Dillard this year. A lot depends on the combine, but if David Edwards remains where he is now, (34 - 43), I'd think seriously about him for RT .... especially the way Bob likes to run the ball.

Texas Jake and JB like this.
  20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Show this guy to the wine cellar.

Dilly dilly