State of the O-line

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jradMIT, Jan 21, 2017.

1. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Do you think D. Smith will fall all the way to 32 in the draft? That's where the Texans will be drafting. I would prefer Mancz at C and Martin as depth
    :kitten:

2. Childress79

Childress79 Rookie

1) I think Edwards could fall that far (mostly I think that Williams, Little, and Cajuste go before him given the greater chance they can play LT)
    2) I hear you about Martin as the starter and Mancz the back up but it seems that Billy O has decided he prefers Martin and that's who he is riding with. I myself would love a scenario where we chose Edwards teammate Biadasz to either start or be groomed to be the OC.

3. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

D. Smith is a FA LT.

Signing a guy like Smith and drafting a guy that can play either LT/RT would be optimal. (Evans from Oklahoma/Dillard Wash St. come to mind.)

BTW, I love your optimism.

JB and OptimisticTexan like this.
  4. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I'm not that optimistic. I was just making what I considered to be a funny.

steelbtexan likes this.
  5. AggiebyMarriage

AggiebyMarriage Rookie

If I am going after a FA Left Tackle in 2019 (which I think we should do), I am going after Trent Brown from the Patriots (previously with the 49er's). Brown is a very good pass blocker (our biggest weakness), but a little light in run blocking.

Von Miller with the Bronco's has called Brown, the best pass blocker he ever faced. Brown has always had good Pass Blocking grades on Football Focus, and he is only 26 years old.

Pass blocking is our biggest weakness. Trent Brown is a possible fix. If we managed to sign Trent Brown, I would still want the Texans to draft an Offensive Tackle in the 1st round if they could get someone worthy of the pick, without reaching.

But signing Trent Brown would remove the gun to the Texans Head to draft a OT even if there was no one with a 1st round grade when they finally pick late in the 1st round.

If the Texans want to take this offense from its current 1973 AMC Gremlin status, to the 2018 Masarati status that you see with KC and the Ram's, the Texans need to protect Deshaun suffiently without having to Max protect with the Tight End's and RB's. BOB can not open up the throttle on the passing attack, if we are just send 2 WR out in to patterns. Getting the Pass Blocking from the O-Line up to snuff, is the key to taking advantage of Deshaun's vast talent, and BOB's play calling abilities.

To fix the horrible pass blocking that they are getting out of this offensive line, the Texans need to try ever possible avenue, through both Free Agency as well as the draft.

6. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Donovan Smith: Buccaneers Iron Man, Free Agent to be...

Having not missed a start in his career, Donovan Smith is the current Buccaneers “Iron Man” and is looking to continue to improving his play in order to cash in next off-season.

By Kyle_Marks Jul 15, 2018, 3:00pm EDT

Briefly technically, he broke his "iron man" label with an MCL sprain in August which required missing the last 2 weeks of TC...........but most importantly "iron man" to date still has not lost a regular season game to injury. Smith has a significant upside, especially when placed in an OL that is not made up of only slugs. Smith would have a good chance of having fans forgetting "the other #76.:texflag:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Would you sign Smith if it meant having to let KJax go. I would. Would you sign Smith to a Solder type contract? Because that's what it's going to take to get him to sign on down on Kirby.

But before I did that I would let guys like Miller/KJo/Griffin go to clear more cap space so I could keep KJax and extend Mathieu.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  8. CloakNNNdagger

I believe Smith's performance ceiling is much higher than seen with the Bucs.............Solder has already seen his ceiling, and I don't believe it is higher than Smith's present status. His contract at Solder's level IMO would be more justified. A LT draftee, although much cheaper, no matter what position of pick would still be a crap shoot and would still require a year or two of "development."

Kjax is too versatile to get rid of. Miller, if he continues to show what he is showing through the playoffs, would be a mistake to release. Griffin and KJo would not be missed.

The Texans with a 2019 cap space of ~120 million can be very creative to sign who we need and who we need to retain without puttin us in cap hell any time soon.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    vupac1, CWTexansFan, ObsiWan and 6 others like this.
  9. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I think we now know that Solder is not worthy of a Solder type contract, but is Smith ?

10. Childress79

Childress79 Rookie

Given the cap space we will have available, I do not see that we will have to make that choice. Assuming we release D. Thomas and then rescind the 5th year option on Kevin Johnson, we should have near $100 million in space. That should be sufficient to re-sign our own guys and still poach someone along the lines of D. Smith.

OptimisticTexan and steelbtexan like this.

11. Childress79

Childress79 Rookie

Given the cap space we will have available, I do not see that we will have to make that choice. Assuming we release D. Thomas and then rescind the 5th year option on Kevin Johnson, we should have near $100 million in space. That should be sufficient to re-sign our own guys and still poach someone along the lines of D. Smith.

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Hope you're right.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  13. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Has the 5th year option on KJo been picked up yet? Wouldn't it be better to rework DT with a 2 or 3 year deal so less dead money? I think he can still help

14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I dont know if it has been. Hopefully KJo retires.

I would like to see DT back. Have you noticed the run game has picked up since he came aboard? Also he's an upgrade as a RZ target.

That said if you have to let him go to get a LT like Smith, you let him walk.

15. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Yeah sorry, my first glance was wrong... cutting him would be a cap savings of $14M... but I still think reworking a 3 year deal would be beneficial. KJo is due $9M in '19, all of which could be saved by cutting him per OTC

16. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

If the Texans signed Smith to fill the hole at LT, I would absolutely trade back and then target Dalton Risner with the first pick. Why? Martin would then be the biggest question mark on the OL and O'Brien /Devlin have a fear for Mancz's health in regards to moving him to Center. Risner is being projected as a top NFL Center who can play every position on the OL....well maybe not LT but who the hell knows once he gains his NFL strength.

I'd also draft WR, Riley Ridley, Georgia to replace Fuller. Fuller has been injured each of his Texans seasons and Ridley is just a bigger version of Fuller who's just as fast. I wonder what type of draft pick Fuller would return if he were made available?

The signing of Smith would really allow the Texans to take advantage of a defense rich draft to possibly build the best unit in the NFL.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  17. CloakNNNdagger

I wouldn't be in any hurry to release DT..........his value is only now being appreciated.............re-negotiate.

KJo's 5th year option was picked up this past April. The 5th year is guaranteed for injury when the option is exercised. The option year becomes fully guaranteed on the 1st day of the league year in the 5th contract year (approximately March, 2019). Teams that pick up the option year rarely release a player before the full guarantee takes effect. KJo should be made the exception............unless the Texans feel they can find a trade partner (probably unlikely).

18. CloakNNNdagger

Mancz has been taking 1 team reps at RG.........his expected starting position this Sunday.

19. CloakNNNdagger

READ BOTTOM TO TOP:

patrick‏Verified account@PatDStat 3h3 hours ago

**DT blocking ILB or Safeties, forces corners to be the run support at times. Most are not excited to play a physical game vs the run. #Texans[​IMG]

**I also think it is a testament to the #Texans[​IMG] offensive staff. To understand their personnel. You see the change in how they use Fuller vs DT in the O to manipulate the running game.

**Here is an example of DT. He is in the slot with a tight split. Look at his seal vs the safety and how it cuts off flow of the LBs. This is a huge element to the #Texans[​IMG] O.

**DT is part of the blocking scheme. They can send him vs. Safeties or even ILB. For example, Fuller would pull defenders out of the box with his routes. DT is able to block in the box and Miller has less players to beat. If that makes sense.

vupac1, steelbtexan, ObsiWan and 5 others like this.
  20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

What the...

dream_team and OptimisticTexan like this.