State of the O-line

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jradMIT, Jan 21, 2017.

1. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

well sure look at it in TC but not 12 games into season... you want your 5 best for sure

2. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

Yes, getting this close to the playoffs, we need to have our best lineup solidified. Mancz's role at this point in the season is first interior lineman off the bench.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Posted this back in April:

Texas Jake and OptimisticTexan like this.
  4. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

I'm really liking Mancz at RG and Lamm at RT for the rest of the season and playoffs. Their chemistry has produced results and it's sad that they haven't even had the opportunity to share the field all that often.

Martin continues to be a question mark for me which is why I'm intrigued with the idea of drafting Dalton Risner from Kansas State. This guy is playing lights out at RT but projects strongly at Center in the NFL. He has what O'Brien loves and looks for in an OL.....versatility.

I could see the team going into next off-season with Martin, Kelemete, and Fulton who could actually vie for Center, throw in a stud draft pick like Risner and the interior OL could be set since Risner has the capability of competing at RT with Lamm. I'd really like to O'Brien and Devlin stick Mancz at RG and leave him there. They just seem against getting him the time needed to really improve his game at one primary position.

Add one solid LT and I think this OL will have the depth and versatility to be pretty dang good.

Seegara and Number19 like this.
  5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Nor ar all and if you watch collwge football and Rankin in particular you should know what I'm talking about.

But then again you seem to be in gotcha mode, so I really can understand that you don't know what your talking about.

Watch some of Rankin tape and get back with me.

6. AggiebyMarriage

AggiebyMarriage Rookie

One thing to be thinking about, is that drafting Offensive tackles in the 1st round has become a real crap shoot. Over 50% of OT drafted in the 1st round since 2012 have been busts. This article from the Ringer goes into great depth on the problem "https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/11/2/16596392/offensive-line-crisis-league-midseason". So thinking that just grabbing any highly rated OT prospect is going to fix our OL issues may be a pipe dream.

ObsiWan, vupac1, justmy2cents and 7 others like this.
  7. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Something Witty !

Before colleges started running these run pass option offenses , OT was one of the easiest positions to scout IIRC .

justmy2cents, JB, steelbtexan and 3 others like this.
  8. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

Absolutely great analysis.

9. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

This point of the college spread ruining the NFL preparation for OL is a subject we've discussed repeatedly over time. The article articulates the problem in very simple and understandable terms. Thanks for posting it.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

So you don't see the contradiction either?

11. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Just my .02 : Davenport, Rankin, ?, Mancz and Lamm are starters in 2019. Back ups to become starters soon can be drafted as I've posted recently. Cajuste in first, Mitch Hyatt second round and Scharping in third solidifies line. Cajuste can backup or start LT going forward. Hyatt starts over Rankin LG or backs up. Center is my concern but if Scharping can play RG and Mancz can start at center great.

So if Martin leaves (2019 cap savings $1 m) but hopefully he improves and he is cheap: LT D or Cajuste, LG Rankin or Hyatt, C Martin or Mancz, RG Fulton, Manczor Scharping and RT Lamm or Scharping..

Fulton at center:
    full article https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article192841409.html

12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Not at all, but I'm not taking it literal without considering context and previous discussions

Texas Jake and steelbtexan like this.
  13. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Man some of yall really need to apply for a scouting position with one of these NFL teams.
    The eagle eye for talent is top notch.

14. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

Question: is O-Line beginning to become a strength for us? We dominate in the running game lately and even pass protection seems to have improved. A lot of the sacks Watson takes are on him holding the ball too long. And all of this with a lot of injuries on the line. I think that was the second game in a row where we were down to 5 linemen at a time.

At the beginning of the season our line was beyong horrible - now it seems capable. I am not saying we shouldn’t adress the line heavily in the draft and FA, but I guess we already have more fitting pieces than I thought...

Texansballer74 likes this.
  15. OptimisticTexan

AFN didn't carry the game yesterday so I went to Base Theater and watched, Bohemian Rhapsody. The game and movie both came on at 1900. Anyhow, if you liked Queen you're going to like the movie. I can see this movie opening the floodgates for more 60's-70's type of musician or band movies.

Anyhow, back to the game, who started on the OL and how did they look overall? Stats say they gave up 4 sacks, several pressures but ran the ball with authority once again. What did the eye test say?

16. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

The first sack Davenport ran the OLB wide but the OLB was able to horse collar tackle Watson with one arm. No flag on that play. In the second half the Browns were in a all out blitz. One of the sacks, the DB was hidden pretty good. Punk joker went straight at Watsons knees . Great call on the DC from the Browns. The other two sacks were on Watson holding on to the ball too long. Watson looking for the big one instead checking it down.

Overall the offensive line did pretty good. Especially when the Browns were bringing the house darn near every down.

steelbtexan and OptimisticTexan like this.
  17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Strength? LOL

Acceptable finally? Yes

Gotta add more talent.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  18. OptimisticTexan

But who started?

19. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

The usual 5