State of the Franchise

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by euro-Texan, Dec 26, 2009.

?

How do you feel about the 2009 Texans

1. Excited - happy with the progress and direction (keep moving forward)

6.8%
  2. Satisfied - happy with direction but not record (would like a little better)

47.9%
  3. Disappointed - expectations were higher (division title)

38.4%
  4. Unsatisfactory - No excuses! (we should be elite by now)

6.8%
  1. euro-Texan

euro-Texan All Pro

As many of the threads are leaning this way I wanted to start a poll to see the overall view of the Texans stock.

How do you feel about the Texans as the season comes to an end?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Where's the poll?

3. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

I voted disappointed, but leaned towards satisfied..... I guess I'm kinda meh.

4. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

The should be a meh category as the 3rd option. Texans should have a better bottom line, but maybe not a division winner. While not what I really want there is some sort of justification for keeping Kubiak for his 5th year even though those reasons sound more like excuses than real reasons.

5. D-Frank

D-Frank Veteran

im satisfid with the direction we are in. we are real close, I thought this would be the year but we fugged up, but i still got the Texans back.

6. euro-Texan

euro-Texan All Pro

Sorry I thought disappointed and meh were the same. In the big picture it is at least. We happen to be in a division where being a division champ means being real good, that's not the case in every division.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  7. theanswer000

theanswer000 Rookie

I am dissapointed with the team this year. We had high expectation for this season, but the Texans yet again failed to win the clutch games that mattered. We were in the running for a for sure playoff spot but the Texans blew it. Next year should be a lot better. Kubey will know that it is do or die, not playoffs or bust. He knows damn well better get us in the playoffs and we have to do well in there. We will cover our needs this off-season. We will of course sign guys that we need it probably will not be the guys we want but atleast it is progress. The draft should be easy. What do we need right now more than anything??? A RUNNING BACK.

C.J. Spiller should be our main focus.

8. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

Disappointed. We should be better than 8-8 but maybe not division title winners just quite yet.

As for our record, it should be better.

Realistcially imo: 6-10 to 8-8 to 9-7 or 10-6 to 9-7 or 10-6 again.

Instead it has been: 6-10 to 8-8 to 8-8 to ???(another 8-8 or 7-9 imo)

At 9-7 or 10-6, you are usually competing for a playoff spot year in year out and in some divisions(not ours) a division championship.

What is it going to take? We keep saying we are a few players away and some like to throw out the word close but each offseason, we pick up some pieces through FA and the draft(with a mid-round pick) and we still dont seem to improve W-L wise.

That tells me either/or:

1. We suck at evaluating talent and sign/draft the wrong guys

and/or

2. Our coaches cant coach these guys up to help them with reach their potential

So um really, what is it going to take to get over the hump? Well, its no longer really a hump - you can get over humps. Maybe more like a mountain?

9. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

They're better than I thought they would be. I didn't think they would be in the playoff hunt with Slaton out for a big chunk of the season.

I no longer come to the boards thinking "If they just didn't suck they could have won that game!" Now it's more "If one or two jackholes didn't screw it up they would have won that game!"

They're still a few years away from being an elite team, but one good offseason could make them competitors who just need to catch some breaks to go the distance. Unfortunately I'm skeptical of Smithiak's ability to have a 2006 type offseason.

10. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I voted "disappointed" but I merely believed we should have "challenged" for the division title. I didn't think we would win it necessarily and not having won it wasn't the real reason for my disappointment.

Had the Texans not handed Jacksonville a win at Reliant and not fumbled (and bumbled) away the game against the Cardinals we would have gone to play an 8-0 Indianapolis team with our own record being 7-1. That would have been where I wanted to see us regardless of the outcome there. I hoped we'd split with the Colts this year and sweep the Jaguars and Titans. All three were within reach but the Texans fell short.

11. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Shoulda Woulda Coulda......Mark me down as "Disappointed"

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  12. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

There are no weak division leaders at the moment. Probably each one will have at least 10 wins and are solid football teams.

Anyway Meh for me is not really disappointed nor satisfied, more acceptance of the state the Texans are at than anything.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I'll take the option between satisfied and disappointed

14. rollinstone18

rollinstone18 let it bleed

disappointed but still optimistic.

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I am disappointed although I did not expect division title. This team so easily with just a little coaching/performance on a few plays/kicks could be 1-4 games better on record and in the cat bird seat for a wild card spot.

16. False Start

False Start On # 69

I voted disappointed. I wasn't expecting them to overtake the Colts for the division, but I was expecting them to be in a better position to make the playoffs than they are now.

17. DeMarCushPoll

DeMarCushPoll UDFA

What is your definition of "high expectations"? They have a chance to go 9-7 and are still in the mix for a playoff spot. I read allot of these comments and wonder what did people expect from this team going in to the season. I expected 9-7 or 10-6 at best. Anything beyond that was just unrealistic, I don't care how favorable the schedule was. They play in and will continue to play in one of the toughest devisions in all of football. This team is still being built and that takes time. Yes they have some super stars in the making at several starting positions but as this season has proven they lack real deapth at some key positions. With an improved running game going in to next year, I think they will make a big impact and this is the first time I have ever said that.

18. Ranger Tom

Ranger Tom Hall of Fame

I like the direction in which we're moving, but we really ought to have at least nine wins on the season by now and Chris Brown should have been benched permanently several weeks ago. I'm satisfied in some things and disappointed in others; probably like most people around here.

19. maddogmrb

maddogmrb All Pro

Disappointed. IMO, a vote for Satisfied is a vote for eternal mediocrity.

20. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

I pick dissapointed...I think we have good things coming to this franchise in the next decade but we should have reached it this year. 9-7 could stop the bleeding for an entire offseason though.