Starling for #2 WR??

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by z0rpAn, Mar 3, 2005.

1. z0rpAn

z0rpAn Veteran

I think it should be considered, this kid is awesome and young, truthfully him and peek are the Texans hidden elites. As of now I feel we should give him the job and see what starling is capable of.

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

To me, he is the classic 3 year project. I think he needs to play more but I don't think he is ready for the starting WR2. I'm sure he will get a fair shot at the spot in camp. We will see how it pans out and who is here to compete with him because we will surely bring in another talent to compete.

3. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

I think he has all the athleticism in the needed to be a good #2 receiver, but he is to raw right now with his route running and other aspects of his game.

4. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

Starling didnt even catch a pass last year to the best of my knowledge and now he is the front runner for the #2 spot over Gaff??? Amazing.

5. z0rpAn

z0rpAn Veteran

he was on the practice squad all year, he showed his stuff in the preseason. Im not saying he has it over gaff, but he is very talented and very very fast.

6. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

When he puts up some numbers in a game I'll call him very talented. We are forgetting that he was undrafted, if he was very talented he would of been selected in the draft...

7. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

No doubt Starling is talented, and has all the tools to succeed, but I don't think that he is ready to step into the #2 roll...

He is extremely raw, and not to mention, he has exactly 0 regular season catches...

I say let the receivers fight it out during camp and whoever wins the spot wins the spot...

8. z0rpAn

z0rpAn Veteran

Are you aware the Priest Holmes was undrafted? I really hope that he makes the team this year, not just the practice squad.

9. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

Yeah, so was Rod Smith of the Broncos but Priest Holmes and Smith have proven something during their careers to be called "very talented" and be given a starting job. All Starling is right now is a player with great physical tools. Starling has to work his way up, he cant be given the job.

And he was on the team, played in 8 games. He played on special teams and returned one kick. Never caught a pass though.

10. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I trust that the best man for the #2 spot will win it. If Starling is ready to pass Gaffney and/or anyone else ahead of him for that spot the coaches will give him the spot he earned. It's a possiblity certainly but he's going to have to work to get it and he's going to have to produce to keep it just like anyone else who wants it.

11. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

well.. how the heck do you expect him to get regular season catches if you dont put him in the game :P.

The reason Starling is being considered (at least on this board) for the #2 spot above Gaffney.. is because he is the fastest WR we have.. other than possibly AJ. A football team is not like a desk job.. the next guy in line doesnt always get the promotion.

I love Gaffney and think he is an awesome receiver.. but if we want speed with our #2 guy.. then Gaffney doesnt have it.

and what we saw of Starling looked very good. Its not like we saw him on the roster.. saw that he had a good 40 time and said "HEY lets make him our #2 guy!" :P

I think Vinny is right. We give him a look and let him take a shot at getting the #2 spot.. but we will probably bring in some competition.

12. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

:thumbup Sometimes these boards are funny . Our secret weapons are always the back ups .

13. tacoman_j

tacoman_j Veteran

Man, we should start Lord @ QB. He's raw, but fast and elude the sack better than Carr. :thumbup

14. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

The old saw in the NFL is "The crowds favorit is the backup QB". Seems to apply to most positions. Easy to annoint someone if they haven't played and therefor haven't done anything for people to complain about.

15. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

:listening

Yall are against giving every player on the team a chance to try out for the starter job then?

we said let him try out.. he has talent.. he could possibly win it.. I dont see why this is a terrible thought process? you would prefer that we just said everyone below second string sucks and needs to be cut?

oh wait.. i know.. yall want to trade everyone that isnt a starter and buy 40 year old veterans who will skyrocket us to the superbowl.

good plan.

16. cptnbreakdance

cptnbreakdance Veteran

Why Starling? Sloan Thomas is faster and Bigger, you obviously cant judge based on tallent b/c both are on the practice squad, If given the ball I'm sure Thomas could do great things with it, he was just over shadowed be Roy Williams at Texas, and alot of recievers would be overshadowed by Roy if they were in his place.

17. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

The difference is that we saw alot more out of Starling in preseason..and he wasnt put on the practice squad cause we didnt want him on the roster.. we just had too many WRs as it was. When we had an injury and a roster spot opened.. Starling was the first guy we brought in.

maybe Sloan IS a better talent.. i wouldnt know cause I havent seen him do anything yet. I have seen Starling play though and he looked good.

18. cptnbreakdance

cptnbreakdance Veteran

good point, come to think of it, I do remember seeing him on several special teams plays towards the end of the year.

19. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Mr Snyder is that you? Get back to your teams board and stop stirring things up over here! :)

20. NeViKaN

NeViKaN Rookie

Hey zorpan "errrrrrrr" Starling, allegedly :shocked .