Stand for the Star Spangled Banner

Discussion in 'Texan Tailgate' started by Texanfan4ever, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Texanfan4ever

Texanfan4ever All Pro

With all these posts about fans, let me give ya'll this.

The two seats next to us always have different people in them. The seat right next to me had a lady from another country, and her boyfriend. The boyfriend was up getting drinks or whatever, but was not there. Everyone stood for the Star Spangled Banner except this woman that was sitting next to us.

Now, there was nothing wrong with her, she was not handicapped, none of those excuses, she spoke English, I had already heard her talking.

I am sorry, but I for one am sick of people in our country at the very least not being polite. I leaned down and told her that in America you stand for the Star Spangled Banner. She folded her arms and turned her head away from me, never saying a word.

My mother and I were livid. I had to change seats with my mother because it made me sick.

She left about 10 minutes after that, and I was glad.

It still gets me riled up just thinking of her face as she sat there.

Was I right or wrong?

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I have a handicap but you can't see it by looking at me....so you don't know. and my Mother is Japanese so I'm not your typical "white guy from America" so I don't know what looking like she is from another country means. I stood for the Anthem fwiw though.

3. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

In my view, 100% right. When in Rome, do as the Romans. If I went to another Country, I would respect their traditions if out at an event, especially when it comes to something like that. If she can't stand and salute the flag, then go back to wherever you came from, and take your no good boyfriend with you. :texflag:

4. Ckw

Ckw Guest

100% right. Too many people are nothing but leaches in this country. They come here and suck the blood (money) right out of this country and then don't show us any respect. Personally, I think it's bull crap and it's what is wrong with the world today. America will fall some day and like Rome will crumble from within. All this crap of keeping one's diversity and a refusal to become a part of American society (while still holding on to one's own traditions) is doing nothing but divide us.

5. real

real Guest

Ummm...yeah...you were right...

When you are at an event in America and the Star Spangled Banner is played you need to stand and remove your cap...

6. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Wrong. This country is based on freedom and people should not be pressured to do anything (as long as the law isn't being broken) because when we do that we are not respecting the freedom of others. You never know why people do things. It may not always be that they are just being disrespectful. Some people feel (due to religious convictions) that saluting the flag, etc is a form of idolatry or worship of the state. If their concience bothers them to stand for the flag than that is their right. However, if that is the case I personally think it would be wise of them not to draw attention to themselves and wait until after the ceremony before taking their seat.

bah007 likes this.
  7. texanskan

texanskan Veteran

Americans bring it on themselves (the respect issue) and as far as folks being "leaches" I'm guessing your american indian since you made that statement.

As far as the woman not standing that is disrespectfull but it's not like she was talking during it or mocking the star spangled banner so I would be pissed if someone got in my face and told me what to do.

8. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I would have slapped you if you were the one to tell me when I need to or when not to stand up. It's generally common courtesy to stand during the star spangled banner. I get your patriotism but chill out a little bit. The lady wasn't as patriotic as you. No big deal. I know a lot of Americans who aren't real too happy with our country and probably don't want to represent by standing.

I've been scolded one time too many for not standing and my tolerance runs thin sometimes. Everytime that I didn't stand, I didn't know they were playing the anthem (I'm Deaf) but once I realize it, I get right on it and stand as well as remove my hat. My point though is that virtually everytime that I've been scolded, it was in a rude manner hence why I'll respond with a dirty look right back at the one who just scolded me. Americans can be extreme. They're either for or against. By your anger, I'll take it that you're also extremely for.

Hey, I'm just as American as anyone else and I want our country to be represented well. Are we worthy of that right now? Bush? Iraq? Afghanistian? A lot of people don't think so. Then again, this IS a country of free speech and if a lady doesn't want to stand, then so be it. It's her right.

9. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

50% Right, alas, 50% wrong:

As a person who served this country in the military, the initial reaction is "love it or leave it!!"

As a person who now understands what my service meant to this country - and that was defending people's freedom(s) and the Constitution, I defended their right to 'not stand'.

It's a hard, bitter pill to swallow and I don't like, but that doesn't matter. At least I can say I am not a hypocrite..

10. real

real Guest

I agree with...

But I still think not standing is disrespectful...

11. Texan_Bill

Absolutely. Having been stationed in Germany, I showed respect to my host nation.

12. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Oh and I will add one other thing.

This is for the guys only, Take your damn hat off during the National Anthem. I freakin hate that crap.

13. Texanfan4ever

Texanfan4ever All Pro

VInny, please know there was no prejudice here on my part, it wouldn't have mattered if it was a white guy or white woman. I would have felt the same way, probably worse. And yes it is a free country, but it isn't going to stay that way long if we don't stand for something. THe Star Spangled Banner would be a good start.

Vinny likes this.
  14. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

I don't think there is a problem letting someone know politely about our customs; however, if she refused after that, no big deal...

Nitro, give the Iraq/Afghanistan angle a break - no need to get too political on this topic.

15. Texanfan4ever

Texanfan4ever All Pro

Now, I didn't exactly get in her face and tell her what to do. I just told her that in America, this is what we do. Nicely, I might add. I didn't yank her out of her seat or anything.

16. YellerLotYeller

YellerLotYeller nice marmot

IMO what you did was right. If she was in another country in certain parts of the world, they would just stone her to death for not paying respect. So she got away with it with little consequece. How could you not stand for a country's national athem that gives you the right to be an ass?

17. Texan_Bill

At least this lady wasn't Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf (aka Chris Jackson), who was born in Gulfport Mississippi, got rich in the NBA and refused to stand. That was more infuriating than this lady.

18. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

As another vet; I concur 100%.

19. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I think there are better things to complain about when the National Anthem is playing for instance talking while it's playing. If your smart enough to stand be smart enough to STFU.

FYI - The Star Spangled Banner is the name of the flag that Key wrote the lyrics of the National Anthem to and not the name of the song. The song is actually named "Defence of Fort McHenry". Just a little History of events that transpired in the otherwise not so great state of Maryland.

20. BeerTastesLikeVictory

BeerTastesLikeVictory Custom Title

Thats whats great about this country. Everyone is given the right to be a douchebag.

bah007 likes this.