Stallworth Signs with Ravens

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by HoustonFrog, Feb 17, 2010.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Other news on Bengals and their signings in their thread

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4921333

2. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Free agency started? I thought it begins around the 25th? I really would have loved to have had him. I think he owned up to his crime with genuine remorse. He's going to make the best of his second chance.

3. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

They can still sign a player that wasn't playing last year I believe. Like Matt Jones who signed with Cincinatti.

4. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I didn't kill anybody when I was arrested for DWI and I feel extremely lucky to have slipped out of any real consequences. Bet money I would've been rooming with a guy named Sally if I did for the next 10 to 20.

NitroGSXR likes this.
  5. Esoom

Esoom Veteran

I'm still shocked that Michael Vick got more time in prison than Donte Stallworth. That said, however, Stallworth seems like a good guy that just made a terrible mistake.

6. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Several millions to a family and several hundred thousand to a lawyer (plus not running away from the crime), buys that freedom.

7. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

But Stallworth was under contract until last week when he was released by the Browns. I can understand the Matt Jones signing.

8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

The prosecutors took into account that Reyes was jaywalking and Stallworth paid Reyes family millions of dollars. Stallworth owned up to his mistake.

Vick on the other hand lied to anybody that would listen,including federal prosecutors.

I believe there is a lesson to be learned.

NitroGSXR likes this.

9. ArlingtonTexan

Released players can be signed. The contracts for pending free agents last until the league year end which is March 5.

10. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

So do you have a problem with people who make a lot of money? Or the fact that Stallworth is worth money? My understanding is that Stallworth lost everything. I'm happy that he was able to make retribution because he was able to use his talents to magnify his bank account unlike most Americans. He got off easy because he owned up to it and took it like a man. When i owned up to my mistakes in the past, i got off easy. Judges look for remorse and the ability to make amends.

11. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Appreciate the clarification. It explains a lot concerning players released during the season.

12. ArlingtonTexan

I would have done the exact same thing. My wife and I have pact (stay away trouble) that if either one of us has any issues of that type, we buy the best legal defense we can afford at the moment. I am happy you were able to get off easy because of an understanding judge, but I would not want make that bet too often.

NitroGSXR likes this.
  13. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

the way i see it is that it was an accident, stallworth manned up to it and didnt make any excuses of any kind, he was extremely remorsful... and im glad to see him in the nfl, i dont think anyone has the right to ***** and complain about him being back in the nfl except the victims family and i havent heard anything yet. so congrats to stallworth and im excited to see what he can do

14. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Agreed. Great post. FYI, I was referring to unpaid traffic tickets for my legal troubles. Very very minor but still trouble! I'm no dog. When i get out of trouble, i'm also not only referring to judges but people in general. Bosses, wives, friends, family and whatnot. Own up to it and it'll be what it'll be.

15. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Good for Stallworth. However, plenty of other felons lose everything, pay their dues, and then when they get out, they are discriminated against for employment because of that felony.

So again, good for Stallworth. But I think the problem that some people have revolves around how sports figures are above the rules to an extent. Being convicted of a felony pretty much prevents you from gaining any real gainful employment in this country, unless you're an athlete.

16. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Generally agree but there were some special circumstances here. There was video of the incident and there was real question whether Stallworth would have been able to stop even if stone sober.

17. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

What about people who have friends or family who own their own business and give them jobs despite their criminal history? This goes on far more than athletes. You're nitpicking and singling out the athletes a little unfairly. It's just the luck of the draw.