Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Sports Illustrated top 20 in the draft

Lots of hype time between now and end of April

Bad Leinart picture--they used a pick with a knee brace in it.

What is the status of Ferguson's health? Anyone know?

Seems like another nation sports writer is huge on Young. Taking him would be sweet but if we do decide to trade down, grabbing AJ Hawk with our first pick and then the tackle out of Auburn with our second pick sounds like the way to go to me!

HardKnockTexan said:
Seems like another nation sports writer is huge on Young. Taking him would be sweet but if we do decide to trade down, grabbing AJ Hawk with our first pick and then the tackle out of Auburn with our second pick sounds like the way to go to me!

McNeill would be absolutely terrible in Kubiak's scheme...The guy simply can't move...He's big and is a good run-blocker, so he'll make a good RT for someone, just not us...

Staying on topic, if Stewart Mandel says it, it must be true...That guy is one of the biggest draft gurus on the planet...

Texans_Chick said:
Lots of hype time between now and end of April

Bad Leinart picture--they used a pick with a knee brace in it.

What is the status of Ferguson's health? Anyone know?

Not sure on his heath status but I didnt realize that he was so undersized. At 6'5'', 289 lbs he is going to look like a tooth pick next to some of those befensive linemen he could be facing.

I was also taking a look at Mario Williams, who some people have said could be the next Peppers. He seems more of a run stopping DE at 6'5'' 290 lbs than a finness pass rusher.

The more I see these different prospects the more I'm liking AJ Hawk.

1. Young
2. Leinart
3. Bush
4. Hawk
5. White
6. Mario Williams
7. Huff
8. Ferguson
9. D. Williams
10. Ngata
11. Hali
12. Greenway
13. Holmes
14. Ryan - See, im not the only one high on this guy.
15. Kiwi
16. Davis
17. Dumervil - Meh...
18. McNeil
19. Calhoun - Another guy I am really high on.
20. Bunkly - I dont really like Bunk.

Bubbajwp said:

I don't really trust those 40 times though...Reggie McNeal ran in the 4.2s at A&M's pro day last year and he is listed at 4.35...AJ Hawk ran a 4.45 at OSu's pro day and is listed at 4.52...Vernon Davis ran a 4.41 at Maryland and is listed at 4.49...

Regardless of this, I'm not too concerned with the 40 times of O-Linemen...I'm more concerned with agility, quickness, and explosion off the snap...From what I've seen McNeill does not possess these attributes...

Lendale White over Deangelo Williams? Come on. Williams was a workhorse back for the past 2 years at Memphis and put up close to 2,000 yards in both of them, while White actually had less carries than Bush did this year.

What's the point of this thread, anyways? I could dig around and find a slew of other 'big boards' that have Leinart and Bush over Young, but what's the point of doing that other than engaging in some childish fanboy debate over who's better?

JackDizzle said:
What's the point of this thread, anyways? I could dig around and find a slew of other 'big boards' that have Leinart and Bush over Young, but what's the point of doing that other than engaging in some childish fanboy debate over who's better?

Its an SI article. Not just a random draft website, that updates every few weeks.

Stewart Mandel was one of the first writers outside of Austin who got big on the Horns early, when everybody else was screaming USC. So when the Horns won, he has been (appropriately) leverage to throw accolades on the team/QB he favored. This isn't a bandwagon he has jumped on. And I only saw Young and Huff on there. If he was a real Horn lover this year, he could have put a lot more names on that list.

I think that many of UT's seniors will be drafted in the first or second round. This is a natural reaction to being the winning team in the National Championship. Whether it is inflated or not is another thread, but look back a couple of years to when OSU won the championship. A lot of Buckeyes went Pro that year.

JackDizzle said:

Links?

HardKnockTexan said:

I bet you wanted the Seahawks to draft Brian Bosworth, enough with the man crushes already

eclem5 said:
Gen. Custer was a leader too. Is he a leader really?

No, its all made up. A whole bunch of witnesses got on the phone and all agreed to pull the sheets over everyone's eyes...

I agree with Mandel's take on him:

"To anyone still trying to find fault with Young's unconventional style: Give it up, already. Young is a better passer than Michael Vick and, while Vick might be a tad faster, Young is a "smart" fast -- he's dangerous but not reckless. He's also the most endearing leader I've ever covered -- you could tell the entire Texas team marched to Young's beat. The only thing that would preclude Young's NFL stardom is a reactionary coach who tries to mold him into something he isn't."

If you draft VY, let Vince be Vince. Maybe a John Elway on steroids type.

I heard that VY once threw the ball toward the endzone, blow his own hole in the line, sprinted down field ahead of the ball,hurdling tacklers along the way and leaped into the air catching the ball just as time expired. Is it true? Is it true he once ate lightning and crapped thunder? What a fine human and supurb American.

HardKnockTexan said:
Not sure on his heath status but I didnt realize that he was so undersized. At 6'5'', 289 lbs he is going to look like a tooth pick next to some of those befensive linemen he could be facing.

Hard to say what his weight is right now. He sure is going to be sucking down those Ensure drinks. See the video:

Brick video, discussing work habits, drinking Ensure to gain weight

Draft gurus say that he has room to put on more weight and it will just be a question if he can get the right sized for the NFL without losing his quicks. I haven't seen any good info about how healthy he is. He's like Leinart--prolly woulda been drafted higher last year--but you never know. The draft is subjective and a lot of it will depend how healthy he is and how much weight he has on him.

JackDizzle said:

If there hadn't been countless posts saying something to the effect of.... "only the local media people think Vince is the best. Notice that NO ONE in the national media thinks Young is the #1 prospect...", there wouldn't be a need for rebuttal.

Regardless, prospect rankings are going to be posted, no matter who is on top.

1. Young- He has been on his bandwagon for a while.
2. Leinart- most ready QB this year
3. Bush-mehh. We saw what a fast, NFL type Defense does to him.
4. Hawk- overrated. He will not go top 5. Great intangibles, but not a top 5 LB. DJ was rated evenly last year.
5. White- ranked 5th?? can we say man crush?
6. Mario Williams- My favorite. I just found out he is only 20 also.
7. Huff - overrated, but still in my top 20. A great player, but not top 10.
8. Ferguson- Right about on target, but should go earlier. Best OT prospect, but probally not the best for us anymore.
9. D. Williams - Best actual RB this year. Severly underrated.
10. Ngata- I would be VERY tempted to take him if we didnt have TJ and stayed in the 3-4.
11. Hali- I'll bite into the hype. I like his motor along with this ability. He put up great numbers too.
12. Greenway - Not a top 15 player. MAYBE a top 25. Instincts only.
13. Holmes - Best WR who should go in the top 20. In most drafts, he would be a 2nd round pick at best.
14. Ryan - Great intangibles, questions about his size. I like him and BAMA.
15. Kiwi - Amazing athlete who was hurt this year. Has a knack for getting to the QB. I compare him to strahan, and Williams to Peppers.
16. Davis -the most athletic TE in a while. Questions still persist, but will be the first TE taken. Good spot here.
17. Dumervil - I like the guy, but not for our 4-3, and not at 17. He is a second rounder.
18. McNeil - Great talent, but wrong for our system. A steal for whoever.
19. Calhoun - I do not think he would work well for our system. He is a giant, and is also not a top 20 talent.
20. Bunkly - I dont really like Bunk. Think TJ here guys: A one year wonder from FSU. Takes plays off but put up some numbers. A team will be quite disappointed here. He is a second rounder at best. He will not climp to the first round.

mexico2014 said:
Thats preaty much how the prospects should be ranked exept the #3 and #5 should swap and it will be perfect.

if you wouldnt mind, copy and paste the list, and add your comments where mine are. I would like to see your views, because ours are quite different. I just want to see something from another point of view.

You really have White ranked #3 OVERALL??

thanks.

Back