Sports Illustrated mock draft

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by TexanSam, Jan 22, 2009.

1. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/01/22/mock2/index.html

They have us taking DE Aaron Maybin

2. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

3. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I'll pass on Maybin, I'd rather have Everette Brown.

4. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I agree.

5. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

I don't see the Packers taking a 4-3 DE like Michael Johnson at #9 if he is even still available there. If they take a defensive player, which they probably will, it will be someone that better fits a 3-4. Perhaps it will be Aaron Maybin or Everette Brown.

6. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I'd take E. Brown or Vontae Davis before I took Maybin.

7. Blake

Blake MMQB

I agree 100%. But having a choice of Davis, Brown or Maybin is not a bad problem to have.

Obviously if we keep Dunta then its down to Brown and Maybin.

8. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

Anyone else disappointed we have to take D-Line again....or there is a good possibility?I just don't like taking these guys middle of first. To me the first, for a team like ours, should be a time to take best player at any of the needs. Excuse me for not doing my crazy research yet..its early..but I'd rather go for a MLB to push Ryans to the outside or a Safety or DB. Definitely not DT. Maybe I'm just skittish about D-linemen and Florida St....thanks Travis:)

9. Blake

Blake MMQB

I am dissapointed that we are taking about getting another DT in the first round. A DE on the other hand is needed when we drop Weaver and his huge salary. Mario will be better once he has a player on the other side that can get after the QB.

10. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Maybin is your outside linebacker canadate. You'll have to come back in the second if you took him at fifteen and take a first step guy like Sidbury. Maybin has an Elite first step. and he can run....whether or not he can flip his hips and cover we're going to find out next month. Brown's has been more productive no doubt.

11. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Not at all, and you are not focusing on the big picture if you keep staring at Travis Johnson. Stop looking at him. :)

This team needs a consistant pass rush. They don't have that, and they've never had that, and until they get it, you can forget about them staking the next step.

If the D-line is not getting it done, you draft and draft and draft and draft and draft, and then you draft some more until you get it right. When this team gets a pass rush, a consistant pass rush, . . . I said a consistant pass rush, you'll find out then how good the linebackers, and DBs are.

12. Blake

Blake MMQB

I dont understand what you are saying. Football is a team game. All 11 players along with the coaches, and the scheme have to do their part to make it a success. If you want to scapegoat the D line then have at it. Draft Dlinemen until you can rotate 8 first round picks in if you want.

I think you have the talent up front. You have a stud DE, 2 first round pick tackles and a couple of promising players like Robinson. After that the only high round players we have drafted are Demeco and Dunta. Share the wealth.

13. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Hall of Fame

I'm disappointed that we haven't already gotten the right guys.

BUT.

If that's the best player available that meets our needs, then I'm fine with doing it.

And if the guy we draft doesn't do well but we continue to get great production from our guys in the later rounds, that's OK as long as we start racking up some wins. :)

14. pappy

pappy Veteran

At the fifteenth pick in the draft we do not need a project we need a player to be an impact player first year . That means no de to learn lb spots it means only studs need apply .

15. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

We'll get a good player in all likelihood, but the chance of getting a "stud" at the 15th pick in probably unlikely. All the studs are taken in the top 7 or 8 picks

16. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I don't know , who was the best player in the 2002 draft ?

17. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I didn't say it was impossible

18. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I know I was playing .

I think you have some workout warriors that go higher than the really good players . I think that's why alot of high picks don't pan out .

In the 2002 draft Peppers was picked 2nd , Fat Albert 15th , Ed Reed I think 20th .

19. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I wonder how much of it is overanalyzing the players? Teams research hundreds upon hundreds of hours for the draft and you figure they know what they're doing, but I'm sure they out think themselves at times.

20. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Obviously we DON'T have the talent up front, or we'd have a pass rush, which we don't. Just because we have 3 first round picks on the D-line already, doesn't mean we have a pass rush. We don't!

Get that defensive end. Get rid of the deadwood 1st round bust Travis Johnson, and deadwood flop of a free agent Earl Weaver, and get the right people on that line that can get the job done.

This "sharing the wealth" just for the sake of sharing the wealth is misguided. It's not fashionable these days to quote . . . but it's just as accurate and true as it ever was.

"It all starts up front."