Sporting News Top 99 Potential Free Agents

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Tailgate, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Here are some positions of interest (Note: Including unrestricted (U) and restricted free agents (R), the designation "CBA" is for free agents who will become unrestricted if a new collective bargaining agreement is reached between players and owners by March 5.):

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-01-27/2010-free-agent-watch-sporting-news-super-99

2. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Ole Jason Snelling is available ha??? I mentioned him in that other RB thread, but had no idea what his contract situation was. Snelling impressed me a lot. He was a nice bruising back with some speed and runs like a truck. He's a guy that could probably be had for a nice bargain that could give a team some major PAY DIRT. Snelling would be really nice to have along with Slaton and Foster. I'd take that committee any day.

I've been on the Chester Taylor band wagon for years. One of the most underrated RB's in the league that just happens to play behind AP, but is as efficient as it gets. He's got plenty of miles left in the tank in my opinion.

I definitely wouldn't mind taking a shot at Casey Hampton. He might have another two good years left of him.

Harvey Dahl or Jahri Evans would be nice Guards to make a run at as well.

Darren Sharper is a no brainer. I was ticked off that the Texans made no effort to get him or Dawkins last off season. He's been a huge difference maker for the Saints and was in that recent game against the Vikes.

Nick Collins is definitely a guy I'd like to see the Texans persue as well. He's got a lot of play making abilities and can create big turn overs.

Antoine Bethea is a guy I'd like to have over here as well. He's been damn good for the Colts this season and really solid.

:spit: at what they said about Dunta Robinson have "Shut down" potential. He is so overrated.

It looks like there is a very nice amount of free agents this season that the Texans could use to improve. Make it happen Smith. Do what it takes to get the Texans to next level. You can't just build through the draft.

3. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

What I liked...

4. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I'm interested to see how the free agent market is gonna be without a salary cap.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's very little movement this offseason.

5. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

First thing, Forget any of the FAs that have (CBA) next to them. They won't be available.

My list:
    Ryan Pickett!- big DT with youth and talent

Aaron Kampmon Excellent pass rushing DE. can certainly allow A. Smith to move inside permanently on any pass down. Imagine this on 3rd and 10: Barwin and Kampman on the edge, Mario and ASmith lined up at DT!

Leigh bodden - If Dunta walks, might be a good guy to bid on.

6. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

I'd like either RB here

RB option A: Chester Taylor
    RB option B: Lendale White

7. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

The war continues between the media and Dunta haters over his skills and his potential!

What will happen next!

;)

8. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

The biggest issue will be are there guys released that would not normally bcause teams will not have a salary floor?

9. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I'm paraphrasing from an Arizona blog: Antrel Rolle is due to make a ton of money in salary for '10. He said he's not taking a pay cut. The blogger asserts that Arizona is unwilling to pay him that much.

If Antrel Rolle becomes available, I would LOVE to get our hands on him. He's a true FS, with excellent cover skills, speed, can hit, and he's still young.

10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I would hope the Texans would be all over that if he is cut!

11. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Somewhat off-topic, but with an uncapped year (also meaning no floor), and with the likely retirement of Kurt Warner, it will be interesting to see if the Cardinals revert back to their infamous history of penny pinching. If they were a stock, I'd be thinking real hard about selling.

To bring this somewhat back to the topic, this is where we might see some available FA's of note. If the uncapped year is truly a "Get out of jail free card" for teams who've signed players to more than they're worth, then the only way to get rid of those guys is renegotiate, or make them UFA's. Clearly this won't free up any truly elite players, but it may make available some guys who could step right into a starting role, and meaningfully contribute to the Texans.

The downside to this is that a large percentage of the guys who fit that bill will be past their prime (Which also brings into question what the Texans philosophy will be on these types of players), but as unthinkable as it is, I think the soapers and the sunshiners would mostly agree that a small number of strategically chosen veterans would be a good thing for this team.

12. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Of the this guys might be cut or is a FA so we should get excited, this is one of the ones in my mind that has something to it. Rolle has connections from the "U" and with Frank Bush. He is one of the handful of above average FS in the league and could help take the Texas defense into the dyanamic level.

13. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

This right here. ^^^^^ :bravo: